headers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 01:50 AM
yes the Quick trip is a 3" slip fit. i high temp painted my longtubes some of it on the bottom is rusting friggn michigan lol. but either way there gunna rust but like i said i had my shorties on 3 michigan winters/years no prob and like 5 or 6 times mudding and it got baked on there with no cracks or leaks. so even thoe it looks nasty they still work.

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:16 PM
shifty_85 did you do anything else besides your headers, i.e. did you change to the 3" y-pipe from pacesetter and what did you do about cats?

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:30 PM
yeah the way i did it alot of people dont aprove but i love the sound pacesetter LT's Jegs cut-outs into dynomax bullets Everything is 3" Dumped just barley after the crossmember. So its true duals 3" pipe wit no cats. and i have o2 sims. My truck runs fine and i love the sound.

*people look down on it because 1. i dont have cats. 2. its true duals 3. its 3" pipeing people say you lose TQ but the gains i saw from the LT's over ride the loss of TQ from the pipe size. Because after install my butt dyno told me there was alot mroe power.

But Jbrew tryed the pacesetter Y-pipe and for some reason it didnt fit i forget why. Jbrew has Maggy high flow cats with a maggy muffler i belive im sure he'll pop in here. I forget were he got his Y-pipe.

Yeah me and you have about the same truck. all my mods are in my sig. You'll love the pacesetters install isnt too bad if you know what your doin. Any more questions go ahead and ask

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:34 PM
I like the sound of your truck. Looks like the only difference between our trucks, besides after market parts, is the color. I hope Jbrew pops in i have a few questions about where he put his cats, and if he had any clearance problems.

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:45 PM
i know he has the maggy cats for sure. They just slide right over the collectors and they fit were the stock rear cat went.

The video of my truck is open shorties headers with just a down pipe. the LT's and 3"Cut out just make open headers that much louder haha.

Jbrew has the E40D tranny and i dont think he had any probs with clearnce issuses and thats a big tranny! so with our lil 4R70W theres plenty of room humm he should posted by now lol.

Old 03-18-2008 | 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
Jbrew has the E40D tranny and i dont think he had any probs with clearnce issuses and thats a big tranny! so with our lil 4R70W theres plenty of room
Thats good to hear. I was worried about the larger exhaust pipe getting in the way of things.

Old 03-19-2008 | 12:08 AM
nope only goin up a half inch and if there isnt enogh room you can "Modify" your heat sheilds They cut pretty easy or just take it out. Just be sure you get the headers for the 4.6L so you wont have the EGR prob i had lol. the 5.4L headers will work i even got the 5.4L 4X4 headers and everything bolted and lined up fine just not the EGR fitting lol.

Old 03-19-2008 | 05:41 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:00 PM
|
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that was able to run no cats without throwing a CEL. I am interested in putting the Pacesetter LT's on my truck, but I already have no main cats, and I really don't intend to put any back on, especially with the price. I also am not really excited about having to use MIL eliminators, so any advice is appreciated.

thanks.

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:07 PM
esf
I saw a couple of people talking about having the rear O2s turned off with custom tuning.

Some people don't ever get a CEL but chances are good that you will get it. You said you don't have any main cats... do you mean you left the pre cats on and eliminated the larger cats? If so, most people do that the other way around. Just get the headers and run two high flow magnaflow cats (one on each side) and you'll be happy.

Old 03-24-2008 | 12:11 AM
|
Hi,

Ya I have no main cats, wanted less restriction in my exhaust. I really don't want to put any cats back on, and I don't want to spend the money for them. thanks.

Old 03-24-2008 | 12:41 AM
if you get ur truck tuned they can turn off ur Rear o2's if you just have them unhooked ur CEL will be on 24/7. Your truck should run...ok with the rear o2s off. the Rear o2s just tell the computer that the cats are working... theres some do it your self MIL things out there. if your good with wires it'll take 2 seconds.

Old 03-24-2008 | 04:25 PM
Hey ESF,

I have the same truck (except it's a 1997 5.4l) and wish to do the same OBX setup, less the cats. Now I was wondering why you chose to use the Lightning obx kit rather than the one for our trucks with the y-pipe?

Also noticed that the EGR bung is actually a male bung fitting rather than a female like the factory? Did they supply you with an adapter? And how do the resonators look? They use a donut gasket at the triangle flange right?

Your setup looks so nice, I'm sold! LOL! They sure look a ton better quality wise than pacesetter.

Old 03-24-2008 | 06:30 PM
esf
Originally Posted by turbosean
Hey ESF,

I have the same truck (except it's a 1997 5.4l) and wish to do the same OBX setup, less the cats. Now I was wondering why you chose to use the Lightning obx kit rather than the one for our trucks with the y-pipe?
I didn't like the mid pipes (y-pipes) on the 4wd version because they went from two 2.5" pipes into one 2.5" pipe. That just seems stupid to me, restrictive. The Harley/Lightning version midpipes don't merge at all, allowing me to use a Magnaflow Y-Pipe (10778). However, after cutting the mid pipes to length to compensate for the cats being larger than the resonators and the extra length of the y pipe being there, I ended up not being able to use the mid pipe anyway because of the transfer case being in the way. In a rush to get my truck back o nthe road, I ended up taking it to a Meneiki and they did a horrible job custom bending the pipe for me so I will be taking it somewhere later down the road to make a better pipe. But it's running now and doesn't leak so whatever.

Also noticed that the EGR bung is actually a male bung fitting rather than a female like the factory? Did they supply you with an adapter? And how do the resonators look? They use a donut gasket at the triangle flange right?
Actually, the EGR went on with no problems. Same as factory. Lined up and fit like a charm. The resonators look nice. However, they're still not cats. They'll still trip the engine light. All they are is a straight through pipe with sound cancelation to attempt to quiet it down a bit. They won't do the job of a cat. If you want to swap them for cats, I would check 01Roush's thread about his OBX headers to see what cats he used because they're a lot smaller and can be welded in perfect where the resonators go. Just make sure to weld the O2 bung in before the cat just like the resonators (the O2 bung immediately after the resonator isn't important and if you leave it you will have to plug it.) As far as the donut gasket, I think mine are pretty useless. After tightening the cats to the headers, you can still spin the donut gaskets but I don't have any leaks (yet) so I don't know.

Your setup looks so nice, I'm sold! LOL! They sure look a ton better quality wise than pacesetter.
A couple guys are running Pacesetter long tubes here and haven't had problems yet. I like my OBXs though. I don't like that the Pacesetter's collector is 3 inches. The OBX's are 2.5 inches. I don't know if it really matters though.

Old 03-25-2008 | 03:13 AM
The only time you have probs with the EGR is useing 5.4L headers on a 4.6L *on a 4.6L the EGR hole is alot smaller*

i ran pacesetter shorties for 3 years and 3 michigan winters and no cracks or anything i then got pacesetter longtubes and i love them and i love the sound the 3" True duals makes

ill take my rusty american steel over China's stainless steel any day!!!

Quick Reply: headers??