Opinions: Exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:48 PM
|
Opinions: Exhaust tip

I am going to be doing the straight pipe exhaust cutting up the stock system and fashioning it to exit in front of the rear tire. However, I am having a little trouble deciding on my tip.

I will be getting a stainless steel 15 degree tip for sure but here are the things I still need to decide.

1) 3.5" or 4" outlet. I of course want the biggest tip that will still look good, but I am a little worried that 4" will be too big. But the bigger the tip will give a lower sound right? I like a lower pitch.

2) Slash cut or rolled edge or double tip. I mostly want to go on what looks better, but my buddy says that rolled edge tips can change the sound of the exhaust and give it a bit of a "ricer" sound.

Any of you thoughts and opinions on this would be great. Thanks

Last edited by jimc2004; 03-16-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2008 | 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by jimc2004
I am going to be doing the straight pipe exhaust cutting up the stock system and fashioning it to exit in front of the rear tire. However, I am having a little trouble deciding on my tip.

I will be getting a stainless steel 15 degree tip for sure but here are the things I still need to decide.

1) 3.5" or 4" outlet. I of course want the biggest tip that will still look good, but I am a little worried that 4" will be too big. But the bigger the tip will give a lower sound right? I like a lower pitch.

2) Slash cut or rolled edge. I mostly want to go on what looks better, but my buddy says that rolled edge tips can change the sound of the exhaust and give it a bit of a "ricer" sound.

Any of you thoughts and opinions on this would be great. Thanks
4" will look overly large, fart-can like.

Rolled edge or straight-cut is only a question of the look you want, it's not going make any difference in the sound.

The only exhaust tip that'll change the sound to any who hears it is a resonator tip. And all of those I've heard produce a leaf-blower type of noise. No need for that with a V-8.

Just find a tip or tips that look good to you and you'll be happy!

Old 03-16-2008 | 02:06 PM
i have 3.5" magnaflow SS slash cut. they look best in my opinion. if you want a pic just let me know

Quick Reply: Opinions: Exhaust tip