Yup.......S&B is in....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:00 PM
|
Yup.......S&B is in....

Well, after months of research, I pulled the trigger and bought a S&B intake for my 2005 Fx4 from www.modbargains.com. Considering I live in south Illinois, its been too cold to install it. Well, it was about 40 degrees and the sun was shining today so I decided to do the install......
Heres how it started...

I know, I know....its dirty...........we still have snow and are below freezing....gimme a break......
So, to begin the install I unbolted the intake tube mount on the stock intake and removed it.....

The next step was to assemble the S&B air box. PIECE OF CAKE. Next step, bolt the box in......

Now, the only thing I did different was: If you look at picture 2, just below and to the left of center the intake support bracket has 2 holes in it. The S&B kit comes with hardware to mount the box to this bracket. The washers in the hardware were smaller then the holes.......Lil' problem.....So, I grabbed a couple bigger diameter fender washers and continued.......

Once you unbolt and remove the filter box.....you must remove the mass air sensor and reinstall it on the S&B.....EASY....

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:04 PM
I had an S&B....hated it. Now i'm running an AF1....Love it

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by cufootn
I had an S&B....hated it. Now i'm running an AF1....Love it
x2

S&B droned something horrible, bad enough that it rattled the dash. With the AF1, no drone or rattling plus more throttle response/acceleration than with the S&B

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:09 PM
|
Next step.........install intake tube, crankcase vent tube, and plug in mass air..........

After this, install filter and lid..........and you are done......

So, there it is folks. Easy install, custom etched, great intake at an even greater price. Talk to Alon@modbargains on here. Also, you can go to www.modbargains.com. Right now, they are running a March Madness sale on S&B intakes.......I cant say enough. This thing is great.......It sounds great, feels like it runs stronger, better throttle response, and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!

Im currently running it with an EDGE Evolution........In my opinion great combo....

GO GET YA ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:12 PM
had a S&B and loved it but it moaned real bad when I used it with my tuner so I sold it. Getting tunes from Troyer but didn't order the intake and just don't like the looks of the AF1. I know I won't be looking at it while I am driving.

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:45 PM
Violent, yeah... but it's anything but silent.

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:00 AM
Suspended
Looks GREAT. Really adds to the engine bay. I'm looking forward to hearing some long term feedback to see how it holds up.

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:23 AM
It's a shame that people just have to put everything down that did not work for them. What might not work well for one person might work great for someone else. I think it looks good, glad you're happy with it.

Old 03-23-2008 | 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
Looks GREAT. Really adds to the engine bay. I'm looking forward to hearing some long term feedback to see how it holds up.
I've had mine a year to the day [more-or-less].

No problems at all.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Andy-jr.
It's a shame that people just have to put everything down that did not work for them. What might not work well for one person might work great for someone else. I think it looks good, glad you're happy with it.
Because people want to hear the good and the bad so they can make an informed decision on what they are buying. If you read everything good about a product you would have people on here bitching about how they wished they had read some negative stuff before they bought it. I loved the S&B just not with the tuner. Had I read some negative posts about it moaning with a tuner I might not have bought it.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:28 AM
|
Well, after a few days, the results are in........The S&B intake is definitely louder than the stock intake. To be honest I like it louder. I guess thats personal preference though. I'm sure that some people will complain about the sound.....
Now, it seems like the throttle response is better. I know the looks are much improved........

For the price that www.modbargains.com has on this intake, I think its worth it.....

Unfortunately, some companies hype their product through these boards so much that people start to buy in.

Hell, what happened to Outlaw????

Anyway, the Af1 is a nice design, but I'd rather a closed box intake, with a RAM style option...I never really relied on a little weather stripping to make a tight seal to the hood. Not on my truck. Not on my mustang.......

Old 03-23-2008 | 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by boomer08
Because people want to hear the good and the bad so they can make an informed decision on what they are buying. If you read everything good about a product you would have people on here bitching about how they wished they had read some negative stuff before they bought it.
I agee 100%, but what I am saying is this guy just wanted to show everyone his new toy that he loves. I am fine with the trashing if it was a thread with "tell me what you think" or "thinking about buying this"

Old 03-23-2008 | 11:23 AM
congrats on the new mod looks good. but if you are using this and the edge you need to get the a/f ratio checked to make sure it is not running lean. this seems to be a problem with the edge and any cai.

Old 03-23-2008 | 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by hoss66
congrats on the new mod looks good. but if you are using this and the edge you need to get the a/f ratio checked to make sure it is not running lean. this seems to be a problem with the edge and any cai.
x2!

Your truck is probably running pretty lean, i would get it checked ASAP. I can guarantee custom tunes are to come soon. It ain't worth the risk.

Old 03-28-2008 | 04:35 PM
Suspended
Well how has it been after a week of driving?

Quick Reply: Yup.......S&B is in....