Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh sorry, I misread your post (#27).:o When you said he tapped the metal part, I thought the wires.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 AM
That's alright. Check engine light came on again on my way to work. Truck's still cutting out and shuddering and spuddering. I'm sick of it. I hope i find a solution today. Thanks for the continued help.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, diagnostic test said bank 1 sensor 1 slow response so I went ahead and changed it this weekend. I've driven about 20 miles no check engine light but I still feel the hesitation and slight shutter from time to time. I assume the check engine light will appear and I'll have to get it checked again to see what it is. Anybody have any more suggestions?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Egr???

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
EGR? Well I put 2 new DPFE hoses so the EGR code didn't show up on the last DT. Should I clean the EGR?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Prob. wouldn't hurt, and clean the intake elbow while you're there. But, did you check the PCV system over well, esp. under the wiper cowl, looking for leaks and messed up elbows?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I also cleaned the throttle body yesterday. I replaced the PCV valve and had the PCV hose and elbow replaced a year or so ago. Yes, my mechanic has checked all hoses for leaks. All of this cleaning and hose replacing definitely needs attention on my truck. I appreciate you and others pointing these out to me because I didn't know half of these existed and needed cleaning or replaced. So you think my next step is cleaning the EGR right? I'll have to do a search for instructions on this. If you can pinpoint any other areas that might need attention pertaining to this please keep it coming. Thanks Again!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope your issues are all resolved real soon. Not to hijack the thread but i'm also considering replacing my 4 cats with the Magnaflow rear 2.5" cats part #94006, 5.4l & 61k miles, as long as the O2 sensors aren't messed with I should be alright? I think I read somewhere in this thread that your truck ( Ford_Truckin' ) has 198k miles on it & thats probably why you have some issues with a high mileage block. Stuff goes wrong sometimes but 198k thats built ford tough

Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, my 02s were not touched. They are in the same position and the same pipe as factory. But for some reason my modification turned my truck into a disaster. I'm trying to fix it without throwing parts at it and wasting a bunch of money. But to look on the bright side of things I've only replaced the starter and alternator and changed plugs/coils one time. So replacing and cleaning some sensors, valves, and hoses is only helping me to get another 200,000 miles out of her. I might go a ahead and replace bank 2 sensor 1 so both front sensors are new. There's a lot of components working together to make these things run and I'm learning the hard way.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Truckin'
Yeah, my 02s were not touched. They are in the same position and the same pipe as factory. But for some reason my modification turned my truck into a disaster. I'm trying to fix it without throwing parts at it and wasting a bunch of money. But to look on the bright side of things I've only replaced the starter and alternator and changed plugs/coils one time. So replacing and cleaning some sensors, valves, and hoses is only helping me to get another 200,000 miles out of her. I might go a ahead and replace bank 2 sensor 1 so both front sensors are new. There's a lot of components working together to make these things run and I'm learning the hard way.
yeah very true. All the stuff in cars these days, 1 thing goes wrong and it affects everything else But cleaning & hose replacement definitely the best way to go with it. If there are parts needed well I guess nothing lasts forever, not even a Ford truck. But it will certainly take you a long ways.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor
What is it that you did to your truck as far as the converters go. Did you take out the 4 Cats and only install 2 of them?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, Initially I replaced the 4 stock converters with 2 Magnaflow High Flow Cats. Since then my truck has ran bad. Any help?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Yes, Initially I replaced the 4 stock converters with 2 Magnaflow High Flow Cats. Since then my truck has ran bad. Any help?
Well seems to me that you have removed the pre-cats up front which help heat up the exhaust. And since you removed them you rear cats are not getting hot enough. I bet the temps on the rear cats are not even up to operating temps. The cats should be between 900 to 1400 degrees. I would have that checked out. Have someone use a Temp Gauge on the outside of the cats and see what the temp is in the front and in the rear of the cat. Should be 150 to 200 degrees between the front and the rear.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
Well seems to me that you have removed the pre-cats up front which help heat up the exhaust. And since you removed them you rear cats are not getting hot enough. I bet the temps on the rear cats are not even up to operating temps. The cats should be between 900 to 1400 degrees. I would have that checked out. Have someone use a Temp Gauge on the outside of the cats and see what the temp is in the front and in the rear of the cat. Should be 150 to 200 degrees between the front and the rear.
Ok, you said "cats should be between 900-1400 degrees" and then said "150 to 200 degrees between the front and the rear". These two statements confused me...please distinguish apart.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Ok, you said "cats should be between 900-1400 degrees" and then said "150 to 200 degrees between the front and the rear". These two statements confused me...please distinguish apart.
Meaning that if for example if the operating temp is 900 in then it should be between a 150 to 200 hotter in the back

Quick Reply: Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!