Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change that b2s1, they compare readings and the new one may be switching different than the old, change it out, and give it a shot.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Dude, I hope you get that thing fixed soon. I know that you did not purchase them from Troyer but I would call those guys at Toyer performance and talk to them. They are great people and will answer any questions you might have. Ask to talk to one of the guys in the back. It can't hurt.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Alright, I guess I could. You know, I just hate to keep spending money on unnecesary parts but I guess 02s with 199,000 on them could use replacing. The worst part about all of this is nothing was wrong with my truck before the high flow cats. You'd think 02s and **** like that would show up beforehand rather than 3 hours later. Oh well thanks for hanging in there with me!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
The pre cats are there to reduce the"Load" on the two larger ones, Ford did this to incease the lifespan of the converters, and with the new technology and the lowered price of converters, they don't need all four anymore.
So what your saying is the cats under the '06+ trucks are the same thing as the '97 - '05 models just does both jobs? So do you think if I deleted my 4 cats for 06+ Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats that would work out fine?

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 04-01-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
So what your saying is the cats under the '06+ trucks are the same thing as the '97 - '05 models just does both jobs? So do you think if I deleted my 4 cats for 06+ Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats that would work out fine?
Should be fine, the conveter technology has changed over the past 10 years, and they are more efficient. Just using two high flows works fine, they continued to use the four cats setup until the price of making the 4 cats with the newer expensive material was too high, and they found out that 2 would work just fine.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Should be fine, the conveter technology has changed over the past 10 years, and they are more efficient. Just using two high flows works fine, they continued to use the four cats setup until the price of making the 4 cats with the newer expensive material was too high, and they found out that 2 would work just fine.
Ok awesome. I've been contemplating Hi-Flows ever since i've been hearing about codes being thrown & problems starting, I just wanna chip them out, not touch the sensors, & have cats installed. I'll probably end up giving Troyer a call for some re-assurance. Thanks for the info man.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Would it help if I filmed while driving my truck while it is acting up? At least yall could hear how loud it is...man is it loud and sounds good. I'll be one happy mother when it runs like a Ford again.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I would like to hear it anyway, I didn't like the other I heard with high flows, but hell tape it acting up too. Some Idle and revs would be good, but if its real loud, set the camera WAY back, so we can actually hear it.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, I'll see if I can get a vid in the next couple of days. I found an interesting article on 02s http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm It's pretty long but man does it explain it well. After reading it I'm thinking maybe my front two 02s aren't getting hot enough since the pre-cats are gone. Read it if you have time and tell me what you think.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 PM
The sensor doesn't rely on the exhaust to heat it, it has its own heater, once the heat is reached, the PCM will go into closed loop(as long as other parameters are met), but if they weren't getting up to temp, you would have a heater circuit failure code prob. as well. He has good explanations, but his O2 graphs are not that great, don't take those too seriously.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, thanks for looking at that. I've googled Ford 02 sensors and alot of info I found was to replace the front two 02s like you recommended. So I'll cross my fingers tomorrow, spend $48 bucks, and replace b2s1. If this doesn't fix it then I'll be lost beyond being lost.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Well I'll be lost too, I think of myself as a "Good" Ford driveabilty tech, so I would hope that wouldn't woop me, but some scan tool data would be great. But don't worry about that, if you trust your mechanic, then good, it is very hard to find a trustworthy and honest tech these days.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM
yea this doesnt make sense... there are alot of 97-03 F150's running these hi flows which would be nice if more of them jumped in.. i am waiting to put my whole setup in bc of money and the whole egr problem with the 4.6 running 5.4 pacesetter Long Tubes... i have the headers, 2 hi flow cats and y pipe ready to put in.. noone has had this problem ur having.. i dont think it has to do witht he pre cats bc im sure others would be in the same hole u are.. and there would have been info about it...i sure as hell hope it doesnt happen to me.. im replacing all my o2 sensors anyway so it better work.. thats what i thought ur problem is.. not sure if u replaced them all yet but thats what i woulda done after the egr deal. its a pain in the *** when u start replacing everything.. especially when ur relying on the diagnostics and mechanic.. after u replace everything and it still is ****... i would just go back to stock and see how it is with all the new parts.. i wanna say then maybe it would be the lack of precats but i just dont think thats right.. but i dont kno.. i just read this whole thread now.. sorry man.. i def cant wait till u figure it out... TIM

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I had to get back on here before I go to bed...I appreciate your concern. Yeah, I'm anxious to see if the b2s1 fixes the problem. But every time I say that I ask myself "why didn't it do this before". I guess when a truck runs 199,000 on the same parts it kind of kills it to remove something. That's just my line of thinking to make me feel better about what I've done. So I read that you're going to use a Y-pipe so you're not going to run true duals? They made mine louder but that's all I was going for then (2 years ago). Oh well off to bed, to be continued when I get to work.
BTW - Who is noone, the guy you said had similar problems. I should probably talk to him.

Last edited by Ford Truckin'; 04-02-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
yea im staying with a si/do... i had already bought the y pipe with the cats from troyer before i really knew everything about the true duals.. ill be running pacesetter long tubes... maggie's hi flow cats (i am going to order reducer cones since the collector is 3'' and my cats are 2.5).. y pipe maggie's 14'' muffler and dual out the rear... i hope all goes well here soon

i appoligise for posting this here but i figured since were talkin about o2 sensors, does anyone have any info or feedback on the Caspers electronics o2 sensor extensions.. these are the only ones ive seen so far.. i dont wanna use speaker wire.. heres the link.. they have Ford 96-02 24'' extension.. i was thinking about grabbing 2 of these.. any feedback? thanks

http://www.jegs.com/p/Caspers+Electr...10002/-1/11523

Quick Reply: Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!