Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!

Finally got the high flow cats installed on my 97' F-150 5.4 and I have true duals. Well the truck is loud as hell but soon after the install the check engine light came on and the truck started to run like crap with hesitation and almost went dead when I slowed down to make a turn. I'm pretty concerned about my truck. The O2 sensors are in the same place as stock. Diagnostic test says:
P0133
02 Sensor
Slow Response
(Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1405
Diff Press EGR
Upstream Hose
Off or Plugged

P1131
Insuff. Switching
02 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Sensor/Lean

I checked the EGR hose and everything is plugged in. Checked the 02s and all wires are plugged in. Has anyone experienced the same problem or does anybody know what the problem might be? I need help quick because I don't like it.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Well sounds like B1S1 has gone bad, but the hose that the 1405 is refering to comes of the EGR tube between the driver side manifold and the EGR, and they run to the DPFE. They are two rubber hoses, check those, they are bad to corrode and melt.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll be replacing the PCV valve today. I was told this can cause truck to run lean which could cause bad O2 reading.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
O2 Sensors bad - You'll find that out eventually, put your old one back in.

You did disconnect that battery while doing this didn't you ? The system has been rebooted correct?

Be very care full with O2 sensors - specifically ther wires on top of the sensors and around the connectors, just one little fray in the wiring will F them up.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I did not replace the O2 sensors. I will probably end up doing this. I got a mechanic to put the computer on the truck today and bank 1 sensor 1 and sensor 2 were reading some and would go back to 0. So they are probably bad. He also told me to replace the PCV valve because it was making an awful racket and I did so it's fixed now but the truck still runs like sh*#. The exhaust tech said the front 2 sensors were probably reading bad because the cats are gone and the flow isn't there long enough to get the correct reading but after the mechanic's test showed bank 1 sensor 1 & 2 bad then that shows the exhaust tech to be wrong. What do yall think about all of this?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
The exhaust flow not there long enough huh? Thats the biggest crock of **** I have ever heard. The front are not affected by the cats at all, the rears are but they don't control fuel management like the fronts.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM

The Exhaust tech? Better re-think career choice because to make a statement like that , shows you just how much he/she doesn't know.

PCV's are usually noisy right out of the box if you don't purchase the right "Motorcraft" unit. I'm outuhhere , you didn't answer my questions, so the hell with yuh anyway -

Good Luck

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey brew, how can i bench test my o2's? i wanna see if my old ones even work.

oh wait, forgot to mention they wont come out of the old exhaust yet... ahem.

Last edited by Klitch; 03-24-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
when doing an exhaust mod like that u need to reset kam(keep alive memory) your truck needs to re-learn the fuel tables and increasing the exaust flow without doing this will confuse the pcm. as for your egr code you need a new DPFE sensor. common problem and was probably there even before the exaust mod.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Klitch
hey brew, how can i bench test my o2's? i wanna see if my old ones even work.

oh wait, forgot to mention they wont come out of the old exhaust yet... ahem.
I duno if you can - never tried it. You might be able to test the two heater wires for continuity(white wires). Their both connected to the ceramic cone , I'm not sure a contact test will loop thru the cone on the bench. Try it

Never heard of that being done tho.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
when doing an exhaust mod like that u need to reset kam(keep alive memory) your truck needs to re-learn the fuel tables and increasing the exaust flow without doing this will confuse the pcm. as for your egr code you need a new DPFE sensor. common problem and was probably there even before the exaust mod.

Yea , I already asked him if he did this - He didn't answer

Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea , I already asked him if he did this - He didn't answer
probably collapsed hoses, mine were really bad. super soft n squishy on the middle lol.

but i didnt try out my o2 yet, i will tomorrow when im kickin rocks by myself.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, since bank 1 sensors 1 & 2 are reading bad should I replace them? Will replacing fix my bad running problems or do I need to replace the DPFE sensor first?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Look don't throw parts at it! Did you check the two hoses that supply the DPFE???? And like Jbrew said, did you disconnect the battery and let it reset the PCM?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
As I was checking hoses yesterday when I replaced the PCV valve I noticed one of the two small hoses was off. I didn't know this was the DPFE until you just asked me. This hose has come off in the past from time to time. Maybe I should replace it. The check engine light didn't come on this morning so maybe that was causing it to. I'm going to get the computer put back on it at lunch to see what it says after the two fixes. Yes, I disconnected battery after the PCV valve replacement and DPFE hose reattachment.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow High Cats Installed !Help!