Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 01:59 PM
|
Exhaust question

not sure if anyone else thinks this but IMO cobras and toyota tundras probably have the best sounding exhaust to me. i know that not everyone that owns one of the two has the same setup but sounds like most do. it's like a mellow kind of hollow sounding exhaust. anyway, does anyone know what type of exhaust i could put on my 97 f150 4.6 to get that sound? i've heard the cobras sound that way bc of DOHC so if that's case i understand but i'm not sure about the tundras.
thanks

Last edited by iziris; 03-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2008 | 06:48 PM
you have any sound clips of your flows and maggy cats? shouldnt that be a nice deep/throaty sound for ya right there haha

Old 03-27-2008 | 09:39 PM
|
well i've heard a few different type of exhaust on my truck and i stuck with the flowmaster 40. i went to the autoparts bought a magnaflow, dynomax and flowmaster 40. cut the old muffler off and tried each one but didn't clamp them. i liked the magnaflow but i was scared of the sound on WOT. my friend has a chevy with true duals(which might be why it does this) running a magnaflow muffler and when he gets on it it pops which sounds like crap.recently i read that is something that happens with true duals so i may not have that problem with going to a Y pipe. correct me if i'm wrong

Old 03-27-2008 | 10:51 PM
I think if you put and X or H to a true dual system, it should get rid of the pops.

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:01 PM
I like my setup the vids are below, it pops some, but the popping means the exhaust flow is higher velocity, it also gets quieter once the pipes get hot. But the cobra's and tundra's are DOHC, the sound they have is very unique, but without a good muffler they have no tone, just very raspy(take a cobra with loudmouths). I have been trying to get mine to sound like a GT now for years and have had no luck, but everyone says mine sounds like it at cruise and light accel, but not at WOT. But good luck and be sure to post vids.

Old 03-28-2008 | 02:04 AM
Magnaflow or Borla for nice sounds and some better performance. Flows for loud and a bit of degraded performance.

I've not heard a Tundra that sounds other than stock, but I run across a few Titans every day that sound pretty nice. It must be some nismo upgrade, as they don't all sound like that, but the ones I think sound good seem to have what looks like factory tips / exits.

They'd be nice looking 7/8 trucks if they didn't have that weirdly extreme front glass angle.

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Some Tundras can sound decent, but I still wouldn't favor any exhaust on a Tundra motor personally. My Silverado has the best sounding system I have ever heard on a truck in person though, my personal opinion. true duals H piped, hi flow cats, Flowmaster Super 44s, sounds awesome. If I could afford to I would do the exact same system to my F150.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question