Gotts Intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But lets say i was trying to go the cheapest route......would that make someone that has the gotts mod on their 97 - 03 lariat or king ranch a cheap bastard.
No because the Gotts was designed for a 97-03
I ask questions cause i obviously dont know and would like your input. I have asked a few questions on a few posts and have been "flamed" by some of you guys. I am on this forum everyday and i read though alot of these posts.
We both said it was not for the 04 and up body style, but you still seem content on doing this.
I never have thought that you guys would lie to me or bull**** me.
But once again you still seem not to believe us that the Gotts if for the old body style. The guy above, Gotts2BMe, is the one who came up with the intake mod, and he even said not to. We are just trying to help you save $$$ in the long run, do with it what you please.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
i am not content on doing anything. i am asking.

so you are telling that strk by got the year of his truck wrong?

STRK BY I have an 04 with 4.6L.......Removed the 2inch silencer. Replaced with the 3 1/2 inch coupler directly to the fender inlet. Perfect fit.

Ran much better with it setup this way, so much so that I bought/installed a K&N drop in replacement element the next day. K&N flows about 880cfm vs 500-550 stock paper type....

Wide Open Throttle from 45 mph-95-100mph is greatly improved and the engine really sounds more powerfull from the intake and exhaust sound..(Bassani universal muffler also....

i have the money to buy a cai that isnt or has it been the problem. im asking

Old 03-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nandomart
If you are calling me a cheap bastard because i would like to maintain my truck as stock as possible then that really isnt fair.
I'd didn't call you a cheap bastard because you want to keep your truck stock, nothing wrong with that. In fact, your desire to keep it as close to stock as possible makes the idea of a 'Gotts' intake even worse! You don't drop $35,000 - $40,000 on a beautiful truck, then go down to home depot to fab up a home-made intake. That should just be common sense.

It's only $300 for a tested intake. Now if you're willing to risk the damage to your engine to save what's probably less than half your monthly truck payment (unless you paid cash, in which case you should have $300 laying around for an intake), that's ultimately your call.

... lets say i was trying to go the cheapest route......would that make someone that has the gotts mod on their 97 - 03 lariat or king ranch a cheap bastard.
Well, to be fair, if someone had an 97-03 Lariat or King Ranch, BACK WHEN THEY WERE BRAND NEW, and they wanted to put a home-depot type intake on it, then yes, I'd probably call them cheap bastards. Now if you're talking about a 97-03 Lariat or King Ranch right now, in 2008, I'd probably say no, I wouldn't call them a cheap bastard cuz those trucks aren't worth quite what they were back then. There are probably alot of people driving 97-03 Lariats and KRs that couldn't afford a new one today.

I know how to use the search button and i have which led me to the gotts...my last response was based on what strk by said. I never have thought that you guys would lie to me or bull**** me. Now if you really dont like my questions please refrain yourself from answering as im sure there is another guy like me out there wanting to learn that you can insult
It has nothing to do with 'liking' or 'not liking' your questions. It's the fact that you ignored several posts the explicitly told you not to pursue this mod because it has the potential to damage your vehicle, but you didn't listen.

Now you said you knew how to search on this site, so try searching for air intakes and lean conditions. That should set you straight.

Were you planning on dyno testing your truck after installing the 'Gotts' intake, or using any other method to check the A/Fs? If not you could be running lean, damaging your engine and never know it.

- NCSU

Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
If that's the case why would you even consider doing something that could cause damage to your engine and its components???

I mean, even if the 'gotts' intake didn't lean out your motor why bother? It's not like you're going to pick up 50HP
or anything.

As far as STRK BY goes, that could be a 2004 Heritage, which is a 2003 model year truck built before the new style started production.

Regardless, be very wary of statements like "Ran much better with it setup this way" or "Wide Open Throttle from 45 mph-95-100mph is greatly improved and the engine really sounds more powerfull from the intake". Those type of statements are completely subjective and do not address how the engine is actually operating at all. Sure, it may pull harder, but you might be running lean, increasing your EGT (exhaust gas temps) and then you'll end up ruining 02 sensors, burning up seals, etc. You need to look for dyno charts that also have A/F ratios or some other hard data that shows the truck actually ran better.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-28-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
well NCSU_05_FX4 i apologize if that was the impression that you got. I wasnt insisting on doing the mod I was just questioning it. I have searched cold air intakes and the lean issues. I understand that some of the 04+ come lean from the factory already. I understand after reading through most of these post that everyone prefers AF1 over most of them. As a matter of fact I purchased a stage one kit for my 06 screw 4.6l from troyer performance last week (it hasnt been the easiest transaction but its going). I completely understand where you are coming from. Just didnt like the insult

Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
well NCSU_05_FX4 i apologize if that was the impression that you got. I wasnt insisting on doing the mod I was just questioning it. I have searched cold air intakes and the lean issues. I understand that some of the 04+ come lean from the factory already. I understand after reading through most of these post that everyone prefers AF1 over most of them. As a matter of fact I purchased a stage one kit for my 06 screw 4.6l from troyer performance last week (it hasnt been the easiest transaction but its going). I completely understand where you are coming from. Just didnt like the insult
Well then I apologize.

Look at it this way, you wouldn't buy a new HDTV then try to ghetto rig (no offense to the 'gotts' design) an old BETA player up to it would you? Sure, you could probably find a way to do it, and you'll be able to watch the same movies as everyone else, but wouldn't it make more sense to pony up for a HD-DVD (or Blue Ray, whatever) player and know you're getting the best equipment to match up to your new expensive TV? Oh yeah, don't forget that the BETA player has the potential to fry your TV's circuitry.

Horrible analogy but its 4:30 on Friday and my brain has officially shut down for the weekend.

- NCSU

Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Now i completely agree with that analogy and see it from your point of view. since you are well informed on these truck and since we are on the subject would a drop and the air raid mit be good. I like the af1 on my 06( well once i get the right boot from AF1) but like i said i am trying to keep the stock look on the truck. Will i see decent gains? and also do you know much about sniper tuning. I like that fact that you can tune to cars with it? If that is the case i would sell the xcal3 that i got from troyer and get that instead.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
anyone?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am not content on doing anything. i am asking.

so you are telling that strk by got the year of his truck wrong?

STRK BY I have an 04 with 4.6L.......Removed the 2inch silencer. Replaced with the 3 1/2 inch coupler directly to the fender inlet. Perfect fit.

Ran much better with it setup this way, so much so that I bought/installed a K&N drop in replacement element the next day. K&N flows about 880cfm vs 500-550 stock paper type....

Wide Open Throttle from 45 mph-95-100mph is greatly improved and the engine really sounds more powerfull from the intake and exhaust sound..(Bassani universal muffler also....

Trust me Dude, you cant go wrong with it setup with a 3 1/2 inch coupler(-the pvc pipe deal) and a K&N drop in....That 2 inch restrictor /silencer is only put in there to silence the air intake to keep noise down. Plus it is a clean, unmolested looking install. AND IT DOES RUN BETTER AND IT IS AN 04+ UP NEWEST STYLE TRUCK...

3 1/2 inch coupler =$6.00
K&N Drop in + $50
Performance increase=Well Worth it.........

Plus most of the so called cold air intakes REALLY ARE HOT air intakes that suck hot super heated engine compartment air and that can/will cause some issues..

The ECM will self adjust to maintain the proper air fuel ratio. The ecm does this all the time, it will adjust itself for thin air high altitude (5000-9000 ft) of the New Mexico mountains to the oxygen rich air of low altitude (0-200 ft) of
the state of Florida...I have drove it to both reigns of the country like this and it runs better....So go for it.....

Last edited by STRK BY; 03-28-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Now i completely agree with that analogy and see it from your point of view. since you are well informed on these truck and since we are on the subject would a drop and the air raid mit be good. I like the af1 on my 06( well once i get the right boot from AF1) but like i said i am trying to keep the stock look on the truck. Will i see decent gains? and also do you know much about sniper tuning. I like that fact that you can tune to cars with it? If that is the case i would sell the xcal3 that i got from troyer and get that instead.
I don't know anything about Sniper Tuning, but you can't go wrong with Troyer Performance. VMP tuning has also gotten very good reviews around here.

I guess the real question here is, what are you looking for? If you aren't going to do any serious modding, I'd say just leave it all alone. Maybe get a Troyer or VMP tune to help with throttle lag and general driveability.

With Troyer Performance tuning and an AF1, if you run the 93 octane performance tune you might pick up as much as 35-40 HP. With just the intake, you might be lucky to pick up 10.

- NCSU

Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by STRK BY
Trust me Dude, you cant go wrong with it setup with a 3 1/2 inch coupler(-the pvc pipe deal) and a K&N drop in....That 2 inch restrictor /silencer is only put in there to silence the air intake to keep noise down. Plus it is a clean, unmolested looking install. AND IT DOES RUN BETTER AND IT IS AN 04+ UP NEWEST STYLE TRUCK...

3 1/2 inch coupler =$6.00
K&N Drop in + $50
Performance increase=Well Worth it.........
No, I'm not going to just trust you, because you can go wrong with the setup you're talking about. I've done my research and seen other member have issues with intakes on the 2004+ models.

How do you know 'it runs better"? Do you have any data to back up your claims? Have you checked your A/Fs after you did this install? Did you do a baseline dyno run to compare to? If not, nothing you say here carries any weight.

Plus most of the so called cold air intakes REALLY ARE HOT air intakes that suck hot super heated engine compartment air and that can/will cause some issues..
OK, that's just BS. When cruising my IAT (Intake Air Temp) is about 1-2 degrees above ambient. No real intake kit will "suck hot super heated engine compartment air". In fact, I've never heard anyone talk about the issue you're describing. I'll grant you the term Cold Air Intake might be a little misleading, but worrying about sucking in superheated air is silly.

The ECM will self adjust to maintain the proper air fuel ratio. The ecm does this all the time, it will adjust itself for thin air high altitude (5000-9000 ft) of the New Mexico mountains to the oxygen rich air of low altitude (0-200 ft) of
the state of Florida...I have drove it to both reigns of the country like this and it runs better....So go for it.....
Again, how do you know it 'runs better'? The ECM can adjust A/Fs within a certain range. It's been shown that these trucks can be right on the edge of that range when they leave the factory. Putting on a 3.5" intake like you're talking about will lean out your A/F. Now if you're already at the lean edge of the range that the ECM can adapt to, then push your A/Fs even leaner, your ECM won't be able to compensate for the difference.

You do realize that running the motor lean can give you more HP, but like I said before, you're increasing the working temperatures across the board, and that will cause premature failure of parts.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-30-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok, I've been following this thread for some time now and there is something I'm just not getting through my thick skull.....If the "Gotts intake mod." allows more air to flow through the filter, OE MAF and then the OE intake tube to the throttle body on a 97-03 f150 what's the difference between that and adding a AF1 with a 3.5in intake tube, OE MAF and open filter element in a 04+ f150? Aren't both of them allowing more air to pass into the intake? Is a custom tune REQUIRED when you add a CAI? I know it's recommended by others here but I'm just not understanding the difference between the two. I'm obviously missing something. BTW I've had the Gotts intake in my 06 since November, had no problem before and no problems now. Someone please give a detailed explanation on this topic!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
The 2004 F150's were known to be lean from the factory, and *ANY* intake modification would make it worse. It IS RECOMMENDED that anyone with an 04 and up F150 with any aftermarket intake get a custom tune. But it is your $30000+ investment. Whether you choose to modify your own intake or purchase one, the airflow is increased. I personally would have to see dyno #'s that prove the "Gotts" really does anything.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Joshmac4.6 I appreciate your input. I wouldn't mind seeing some dyno results myself. Personally, the only thing I've noticed is some better highway acceleration and it's a little louder under the hood but thats all subjective anyway. BTW I'll be visiting your state in three weeks for my annual vacation. I'll be on the East coast in Myrtle. Sad thing is I'm flying instaed of driving my truck. Come down to Ocean Annie's!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry, after I posted this I just noticed you live in NORTH Carolina not SOUTH Carolina. The invitation to Ocean Annie's is still on the table.

Quick Reply: Gotts Intake mod