Gotts Intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'll be heading to myrtle in july for mustang week, so I prolly couldn't con the boss into letting me off for a day or two. But I could see maybe a tiny increase in performance, but not so much that my "butt" dyno could feel it, and for the noise, before my exhausts became so loud, there was nothing better sounding to me than the intake opening up. But have a good time at the beach, and safe travels.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigs80
Ok, I've been following this thread for some time now and there is something I'm just not getting through my thick skull.....If the "Gotts intake mod." allows more air to flow through the filter, OE MAF and then the OE intake tube to the throttle body on a 97-03 f150 what's the difference between that and adding a AF1 with a 3.5in intake tube, OE MAF and open filter element in a 04+ f150? Aren't both of them allowing more air to pass into the intake? Is a custom tune REQUIRED when you add a CAI? I know it's recommended by others here but I'm just not understanding the difference between the two. I'm obviously missing something. BTW I've had the Gotts intake in my 06 since November, had no problem before and no problems now. Someone please give a detailed explanation on this topic!
Hey Bigs,

The key difference is change in motor design and the 2004+ MAF sensor is also different from the 97-03 MAF.

Ford also has literally 100s of computer codes or 'tunes' for just the 2004+ models, so no two trucks will behave exactly the same.

Here's your detailed explanation... By adding an intake you're 100% right, you're trying to allow more air into the system so you can add more fuel to get more power. Here's where the problem arises with the Gotts on the 2004+ models. You're putting an untested intake on your truck, you don't know how much air can actually flow through it now, but you're right, it's more air than stock. Now all that air goes rushing by the MAF, the MAF sends a reading back to the truck's computer via voltage. The more air, the higher the voltage. Problem is, (iirc) the max signal the MAF can send is +5 volts. I don't know what flow rate is equal to 5 volts, but lets just say for the sake of the discussion that a stock truck at WOT (Full Throttle) pulls 2 cubic feet of air per second, triggering a reading of +5 volts from the MAF. Now, what happens when you put the new intake on and you're sucking 2.5 cubic feet per second? The MAF still gives a reading of +5 volts, and the computer still adds fuel as if 2.0 cubic feet of air per second had been taken in. All that means that you've got an extra 0.5 cubic feet of air per second entering the engine that's not accounted for, and that's how you can run lean.

You say you have no problems, but how do you know for sure? You're not likely to blow your engine (unless you supercharge it), or have rough idling, or really anything very noticeable, unless you can monitor your Air to Fuel Ratio. The only way to really be sure that you aren't running lean and potentially causing damage is to get your A/F ratio checked. Usually you can get a couple pulls on a dyno for about $50-$75. Not only should you be able to tell if you really did pick up any power, the dyno will let you know your A/Fs so you can be sure you're running safely.

I'd love to see a 2004+ with the 'Gotts' up on a dyno.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-31-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks NCSU! That's exactly the response I was looking for! I'll be looking around here this week to try and find a decent dyno shop to test this intake out. If I do I'll give out the results immediately. Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Bigs80
Thanks NCSU! That's exactly the response I was looking for! I'll be looking around here this week to try and find a decent dyno shop to test this intake out. If I do I'll give out the results immediately. Thanks again!
Be sure to also do a run with the stock unmodded intake before to get a baseline for a comparison sake. So you know what your A/F and power is before and after.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I thin you all are forgetting about the two forward o2 (HEGO) sensors in the exhaust which also take a reding of rich or lean fuel mixture and send it to the ECM. The MAF and the forward o2(HEGO) sensors work together to provide optimum fueling. So you are not completely limited by the MAF sensors limited range of input, and though you state that the range is so limited to a certain max air flow, then how do you explain the same MAF sensors being used on Supercharged and Turbocharged vehicles of the same make and model like the F-150 Harley Davidsen version. The Supercharged versions should surely out flow this limitation you keep talking about. What you need to be talking about is the limitations of the stock ECM maps to accomodate the new increase in airflow. Any aftermarket air intake is going to increase airflow and so will the Gotts mod. I would like to see your so called proof that the expensive intake systems you say are so much safer. The Gotts mod is merely a removal of a restriction in the stock intake system. With it you still have all the other stock components. The amount of gain in air flow is probably not going to be nearly as much of a gain as an aftermarket intake(which will definitely, if posible create a lean condition), but you have the benifit of a stock looking intake with less restriction and the added benifit that you only spend around $10-12 not $200- 300. If this is what people prefer then that is is what they prefer. Not every one is ready to dropp that kind of money on an item that produces such a small amount of power gain.

Just wanted to get that out there.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DNewmanTA
then how do you explain the same MAF sensors being used on Supercharged and Turbocharged vehicles of the same make and model like the F-150 Harley Davidsen version. The Supercharged versions should surely out flow this limitation you keep talking about.

I'm curious if you have seen under the hood of the SVT built trucks and the "regular" F-150's the supercharged models use a 90mm MAF which is larger than the N/A trucks use hence why a lot of guys running aftermarket superchargers step up to the 90mm MAF's

the gotts intake is for the 97-03 trucks, and if you are against it then fine don't do it to yours.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I am for it. The 90MM MAF sensor you are refering to has the same sensing element as the one in any other F150 if you didn't notice! The only difference is the diameter of the tubing not the sensitivity or type of element installed in the 90MM MAF, they are the same! If you read what I wrote before you would have known my position on th subject also.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
just did it today on my 4.6. love it, doesnt seem to struggle as much at 3500+rpm. may be me but the truck seems to have a slightly different tone at those high rpms too.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by DNewmanTA
I am for it. The 90MM MAF sensor you are refering to has the same sensing element as the one in any other F150 if you didn't notice! The only difference is the diameter of the tubing not the sensitivity or type of element installed in the 90MM MAF, they are the same! If you read what I wrote before you would have known my position on th subject also.
no offence intended, I guess I miss understood what you wrote

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
tarajerame:

NP. It's cool. Guess I should have been a little more specific the first time.

I did the Gotts mod on my truck the other day. Not a large difference but noticeable throttle response and, the price was right. I like the stock intake look. Nice and clean. Guess I am getting old.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Any further feedback or updates on those who have done this on their 2004+ F-150's?

Anyone Dyno'd it?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cookies & Chips
Any further feedback or updates on those who have done this on their 2004+ F-150's?
I did it to one and runs awsome, meaning it's not as gutless as it was and still runs smooth

Originally Posted by Cookies & Chips
Anyone Dyno'd it?
not that they have shared, I would love to see some actual dyno results

Quick Reply: Gotts Intake mod