What the UPS man brought!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain to me exactly what an x pipe does, and what applications they can be used in? Sorry for all the noob exhuast questions the last few days...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Can someone explain to me exactly what an x pipe does, and what applications they can be used in? Sorry for all the noob exhuast questions the last few days...
Equalizes the exhaust pulses from both banks, increasing exhaust scavenging... ie more power.

They are great on our trucks with true dual exhausts.

Why the change to Magnaflows?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds awesome man, if youtube wasn't doing their site maintainence crap i'd comment & rate, but it wont let me. Does sound great man.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds awesome, I'm diggin' the little bit of pop there!!

Those tips look freakin' sweet too..

Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Well I got it done, I left the cats on for now, we didnt feel like taking the tranny crossmember down to get them out. So it's quieter than before, but much throatier, and def. picked up torque over the straight pipes. I also went with 3.5" tips, but they are 18" so it picked the sound up some. My x-pipe is #10791 2.5" and the resonators are #10416, the 14" Maganpacks. I'm going to take a video now, so hopefully it will be up in 30 mins or so.

ah cool, so basically once you get the cats finished, it'll be the same exact setup as mine. Only difference is I'll have 2.25" piping w/ a 5.4l while yours is 2.5" piping with a 4.6l. Sounds really good, can't wait to get mine on!

Last edited by _cashel; 04-03-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks, it sounds deeper and throatier than before, and doesn't pop as much at all. The mufflers had cooled off just a little, I let it idle for about 5mins before the vid, but the popping goes away for the most part once she gets hot.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I wish more people would post videos of their exhaust after the truck has warmed up to get a more realistic sound. When do you expect to get the cats changed out with the maggies?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 AM
that sounds so good. i think i might be going with the same set up

Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey joshmac, I see it says you're from western NC.. anywhere near Robbinsville or Andrews?

I've got a whole side of the family from up in the hills there.. lol

Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by _cashel
Yeah, I wish more people would post videos of their exhaust after the truck has warmed up to get a more realistic sound. When do you expect to get the cats changed out with the maggies?
I'm not goin to get the high flows, I am going to cut the two big cats off and leave the pre cats, so they will sound prob. identical to high flows, but only cost $20 for the pipe, wire, and gas to fill the holes. But the crossmember has to come out for me to do that, so it will be annoying. I will prob. add another vid in the next few days, once the mufflers get broken in. And then I get to cut it all out when the turbo setup comes around, so I just waste my money I think, but oh well, I'm very satisfied with the magnapacks, and so happy the drone in the cab was cut in half if not 75% better.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Hey joshmac, I see it says you're from western NC.. anywhere near Robbinsville or Andrews?

I've got a whole side of the family from up in the hills there.. lol
I'm actually North western, I'm about 15 miles out of Boone.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
I'm not goin to get the high flows, I am going to cut the two big cats off and leave the pre cats, so they will sound prob. identical to high flows, but only cost $20 for the pipe, wire, and gas to fill the holes. But the crossmember has to come out for me to do that, so it will be annoying. I will prob. add another vid in the next few days, once the mufflers get broken in. And then I get to cut it all out when the turbo setup comes around, so I just waste my money I think, but oh well, I'm very satisfied with the magnapacks, and so happy the drone in the cab was cut in half if not 75% better.

Oh I thought you already had the hi-flow cats, just hadn't installed them yet. Turbo setup eh? I've seen a few lightnings do it both on here and a few other forums, and I get a hard on everytime I see one, but I hear it's a TON of custom fab work. Good luck and definitely make a project thread for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Very good!.. I think I'm kin to about half the folks in Cherokee county, just checkin' if you might be one.. LOL

Been about 3 years since I've been up that way, need to get back for a visit.. beautiful country y'all got there.. and some kick-*** trout fishin..

Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
Equalizes the exhaust pulses from both banks, increasing exhaust scavenging... ie more power.

They are great on our trucks with true dual exhausts.

Why the change to Magnaflows?
Thanks for the info.

Another question (sorry for the thread hijack) What exactly does true duals consist of? Is it two mufflers? or does one muffler that is DI/DO count as true duals?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah the work I'm not worried about, the big decision is underhood or remote mount, with the 4x4 there is just no room for the 3" downpipe. But the $$$$$.$$ it will take is the big deal, to do it right the bills will prob. exceed $10k, but I can't buy a truck the way I want it, and don't plan on ever getting rid of mine, so it will have to do.

Quick Reply: What the UPS man brought!!