Cold Air Intake, S&B....K&N.....AF1?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake, S&B....K&N.....AF1?????

I'm in the market to buy a cold air intake. I've read alot of guys on here are running the S&B and was wondering if there was any difference between K&N and S&B, or any other brand out there. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by GageCreasy
I'm in the market to buy a cold air intake. I've read alot of guys on here are running the S&B and was wondering if there was any difference between K&N and S&B, or any other brand out there. Thanks.
If you've got a pre 04 then any of those should do ya just fine. 04+ and the 3" AF1 is the only one that you can use without needing custom tuning.

Most folks here just go with what they think looks the best or is cheaper regardless of what it may do to the engine.

Rock on!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Most folks here just go with what they think looks the best or is cheaper regardless of what it may do to the engine.
X2. Way too many buy what's cheapest, what they think looks "cool", or an intake just because it's a "well known" name.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Most [kids] here just go with what they think looks the best or is cheaper regardless of what it may do to the engine.
I corrected your remark.... per my opinion, of course.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
If you've got a pre 04 then any of those should do ya just fine. 04+ and the 3" AF1 is the only one that you can use without needing custom tuning.

This is a nice plug for AF1, There are multiple kits out that would be better than stock. AF1 and S&B, along with just about any of them other than the 3.5 AF1. You dont have to be a sheep and just buy what everyone else on here is talked into thinking is the "best".

Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by NateDizzy
This is a nice plug for AF1, There are multiple kits out that would be better than stock. AF1 and S&B, along with just about any of them other than the 3.5 AF1. You dont have to be a sheep and just buy what everyone else on here is talked into thinking is the "best".
The S&B will cause you to run lean ('04+)...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended
You can ask the people their opinions on intakes and get 4 different answers. Everyone will tell you 10 reasons why their intake is better than the next. All of the companies you mentioned have put alot of time and research into their products and they all make great intakes.

With that said, I sell S&B, AF1 and K&N, and have heard great reviews from all of my customers (except some fitment issues with the 07-08 AF1).

I personally like the closed airbox design of the S&B, but that is just my personal opinion.

http://www.modbargains.com/dept.aspx...64-002-003-009

Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Which Intake is best for someone with a 3'' body lift installed. I have a 2001 5.4 with a body lift.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
Can you back your claim?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by MudTerrain
So will ANY aftermarket intake...

Wrong.

The Airraid and 3" AF1 are both operable without tuning, and will be safe. However, even though they might not lean it out to a dangerous level like some others do, they still lean out the motor some amount. In the long run, you SHOULD get tuning with any intake.

To the OP: AF1, S&B, K&N will all be just fine, but you need tuning.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150

Wrong.

The Airraid and 3" AF1 are both operable without tuning, and will be safe. However, even though they might not lean it out to a dangerous level like some others do, they still lean out the motor some amount. In the long run, you SHOULD get tuning with any intake.

To the OP: AF1, S&B, K&N will all be just fine, but you need tuning.
I agree that any aftermarket intake kit should be coupled with tuning to compensate for the better airflow. Everything I've ever read or heard states that the 3" AF1 will only cause lean at WOT, max rpm.

I've read many posts here, I'm sure you have as well, from folks who've bolted on an intake kit and then get a cel "lean condition bank... " whatever.

I think any cai is an improvement over what Ford provides as stock, some are better than others as far as droning or fitment or price. Just trying to make sure the newbies don't burn up the plugs or worse by going with what's cheap or pretty.. LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Morning all!

im brand new to this site, and looking for some answers. I'm just about to buy a new '08 F-150 FX4, and was gonna prolly do some add on's right away. the first two being an intake and exhaust.

when you guys talk about the engine needed to be tuned after an intake is put on, exactly what are we talking here? is this something that needs to be done by a tech, or something we can do on our own. i defenitely know how to use a wrench, but not as up to date when it comes to software updates.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to your help

thanks
slopjock

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Well, in theory, yeah.

But some won't need to be dynoed to show their true colors.

Many here like to whistle the "S&B makes your truck run lean" tune, but, truth be told, I noticed NO difference in mine - under everyday driving conditions - after installing it with just a Flow SIDO the only other mod.... none! Not even under WOT.

Now, when I purchased my Flashpaq, well, that was a whole new ballgame.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
hey Alon,any word from AF1 on the intake for a 2007 4.6l?????

Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Can you back your claim?

05supercrew had his dynoed and was dangerously lean. Got a tune from Troyer and things are fine now...

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake, S&B....K&N.....AF1?????