My True Exhaust Plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Well my truck weighs 5800+, and I "felt" the torque, I live 3/4 way up a 8% grade, the truck would hold 70 in 3rd with T/C unlocked straight piped, with the magnaflows 72 mph, and the T/C stayed locked for longer and the truck responds alot better. I will be taking it to the strip weather permitting, so I will post times again, and then I can see if the gains I "felt" are significant enough to change times.
aw man i wanna see those... hope weather gets good fast

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:22 PM
|
I have a vid I did for another member with a windows down accel and then a cruise from 55-70 mph so he could hear mine, It is quiet in the cab, and loud when I want. And it's even sideswept, so it's right under the backseat. It will sound best on good speakers.http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BCV61HEBVY
Well, I do reckon it will be quieter when it is out the back. At what point in the video did you put the windows up?

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:27 PM
Right before I passed the lancer, about 20 secs. in, I tinted my back windows and didn't get them tight enough, so some of the wind noise is due to that, but I was very suprised with the loud WOT snarl, but the polite and mellow "mumble" at cruising speeds.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:36 PM
|
Right before I passed the lancer, about 20 secs. in, I tinted my back windows and didn't get them tight enough, so some of the wind noise is due to that, but I was very suprised with the loud WOT snarl, but the polite and mellow "mumble" at cruising speeds.
Yea, that is just a little bit too much. I think I'm gonna do the 18".

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:39 PM
Thats sounds more like what you would want, but either way, you won't be dissappointed by the maggie.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:44 PM
|
Thats sounds more like what you would want, but either way, you won't be dissappointed by the maggie.
I want it to be noticeable when I want it to be around town, but almost silent on the interstate.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:52 PM
Well with the x and the 18'', combined with the long run of pipes, the 18" will prob. be fairly quiet, not really loud, but still louder and a better tone than stock. Most say that their x-pipe cut their exhaust sound alot, I think that it will be pretty quiet, even at WOT, but you can always start with the 18" and see, at least it shouldn't be too loud for you, but if not loud enough, you can always change it for the 14"

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:45 AM
|
Well with the x and the 18'', combined with the long run of pipes, the 18" will prob. be fairly quiet, not really loud, but still louder and a better tone than stock. Most say that their x-pipe cut their exhaust sound alot, I think that it will be pretty quiet, even at WOT, but you can always start with the 18" and see, at least it shouldn't be too loud for you, but if not loud enough, you can always change it for the 14"
I don't really care if people out-side don't hear me coming. I want it to be obvious inside the cab that It's not stock. Plus...Mag's get louder after about a month or two.

You think 18" Magnapacks or 2 14" 4x9 Mufflers???

Last edited by BigBlue5.4; 04-09-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2008 | 03:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by BigBlue5.4
I don't really care if people out-side don't hear me coming. I want it to be obvious inside the cab that It's not stock. Plus...Mag's get louder after about a month or two.

You think 18" Magnapacks or 2 14" 4x9 Mufflers???
omg if you want to hear it inside the cab, go nothing bigger then 14" maggies. Magnaflows are incredibly quiet with stock cats, the 14" isnt loud enough for me. Seriously, i'd consider the 14" magnapacks or 12" dynomax bullets, otherwise i feel you may be disappointed.

And you may think they get louder after a month or two, but not THAT much louder, not as much as you think.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:09 AM
|
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
omg if you want to hear it inside the cab, go nothing bigger then 14" maggies. Magnaflows are incredibly quiet with stock cats, the 14" isnt loud enough for me. Seriously, i'd consider the 14" magnapacks or 12" dynomax bullets, otherwise i feel you may be disappointed.

And you may think they get louder after a month or two, but not THAT much louder, not as much as you think.
Do you have tru duals or a sido?

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by HoosierHick
Why not just go with straights? I have them and i love them. Also, they will save you money as you don't have to buy mufflers!!! More money for high flow cats, or just gas money!!!
Well that cash for the gas money will soon kick in with the lower mpg you will get with straights.

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:27 PM
|
I've thrown out the Magnapacks. Now I'm trying to decide between a 14" or an 18" 5x8 muffler for the duals. I called the muffler stores around bristol and they said mufflers give better tone, how loud would a 14" magnaflow on a tru dual?

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:46 PM
well i guess i could give some more input and help in the decision making process my setup is: 2.5" magnaflow X after the cats, then 2.5" into 2 of the maggy 14" offset inlet/outlet, and staright out the back middle into short rectangular rounded tips.

As for Sound I do not have tips that produce a great deal of sound amplification but i do have 2.5" pipe all the way from the Headers, and as we all hopefully know, tips don't make power. The sound is not raspy and not trashy....lets say that my truck sounds like it is moving as fast as it sounds like it is with a good mid to deep sound depending on RPM, the mid is awesome.Before I had a single chamber flow split into a Y with 3"X18" long slash cut tips 45'ed out the back and dualed and it sounded like I was hauling *** at 3/4 to WOT while if you couldn't see my truck or if you were in it to experience the ride.Lets just say it sounded like i was moving alot faster than i was, and the drone was horrible.

As for Performance the flowmaster was better than stock but more for form than function and sounded killer at startup and idle. My AMPG has gone up with my new maggy setup and my truck behaves way better, did not lose any low end torque and gained mid to top end, which is great having 3.55's. My truck never downshifts or hunts for gears on inclines like before, i averaged 16-18 mpg with the flow and now i am around 17-20. I definatly felt a difference with the true duals and the X is most likely to give Kudos to for it, the muff's just keep it from being raspy.

I would also say that having a more subtle, smooth exhaust is making me stay off the skinny pedal so much, which helps with MPG of course.

All in all I have a setup than is not annoying looks killer and somewhat original in my opinion, performs amazing and doesn't over do it. Hi flow mag cats are next and hopefully she'll sound like a stanger.

Search my posts if you wish and you'll find more info and pics in this section. Hope i could be of some help.

Last edited by 04FiveFour; 04-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2008 | 11:57 PM
Went to track, and ran on a customized level 3 tune, the truck went 10.84(1/8), slower than the last time, I only ran the customized tune, my canned level 3 tunes have been faster than any customized setting yet, I'm still waiting for my custom tune, and hope it will give me something.

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:49 AM
|
Since I am keeping all 4 stock cats, I can't decide whether to get 14" or 18" Mags for the Tru Dual. I am bouncing back and forth....help!

Quick Reply: My True Exhaust Plan