PROBLEM with '04+ 5.4L OBX LT Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PROBLEM with '04+ 5.4L OBX LT Headers

Well, I got these headers because I was swapping in a newer engine and thought it would be a good time to do them. It was, I would never have liked doing this install while the engine was inplace.

Now, the problem....

Holy crap, am I bent! The drivers side header is perfectly inline with the drive shaft! It said it was for the 4X4 only, but it seems like it's for the 2WD truck. I think I'll be able to bend the header with a 2X4 and a bottle jack to allow the needed clearance...... but what a major PITA!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, they're coming off and going back for a refund! The passenger header hits the bellhousing right at the top where the starter goes in and won't let me bolt the trans to the engine! I tried using a ratchet strap to bend it just a 1/2" but no luck.

Now I know I won't have an icecube's chance in hell in getting the drivers side header to bend far enough to clear the drive shaft.

Cheap chinese knock of POS from hell!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that really sux... maybe they sent you the wrong ones?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM
There is that chance, but the seller doesn't list any for 2WD '04+.

This set wouldn't work on a 2WD truck unless one were to bend ithe passenger header quite a bit to clear the trans, and I don't know if the drivers side would work or not either (It fits mine with the drive shaft disconnected...). The seller's ad on Ebay specificly said that the headers were designed for a 4X4 only. Reguardless, I've sent a message to the seller and am 1 day shy of being able to file a dispute with Ebay...... so I'm just pulling my hair out in the mean time.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Where did you make the purchase at?

Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by bmw0311bmw
Where did you make the purchase at?
racingpartsdepot.com, on ebay.

They're being total douche bags about returning these POS and getting a refund

Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by built54
that really sux... maybe they sent you the wrong ones?
They said the part numbers check out and they should fit. There's simply no way they would.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm curious, has anyone else run into problems with OBX on the 3V V8's?

I'm still messing with returning these for a refund, but would consider getting a replacment set *if* they'll fit and it's not a total nightmare installing them.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:34 AM
What is the part number of the headers that you have? I want to get the OBX headers for my 2004 5.4 3v FX4, but I want to make sure that they will fit.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM
"The passenger header hits the bellhousing right at the top where the starter goes in and won't let me bolt the trans to the engine!"

Your statement leads me to believe that you have the headers bolted to an engine that is not yet in the truck. Are you trying to slide the engine in the motor bay with the headers attached?

Have you tried bolting the motor to the tranny, then jacking up the moter a few inches (leave the motor mounts unbolted) and trying to attach the headers?

Let me know if you can get the OBX to fit. I really think the price is great, IF THEY FIT.

I know someone has the OBX with a superduty, but I think that truck is slightly different (e.g., 4r100 tranny, possibly different transfer case, more room between frame, etc).

Has anyone else installed OBX headers on a 2004 - 2008 F150 (new body style) 4x4 with success?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I tried every which way to get them to fit. I tried before dropping th motor, which wouldn't work. I tried with the engine still on the hoist, just hovering over the engine mounts, and they'd bolt up fine to the engine, but not allow the engine to bolt to the trans. I did try one last time after getting the enine bolted up, but had to go back with the exhaust manifolds.

I am sooooo bent! I wanted to use them, but they just wouldn't fit. Even if I had got the passenger side to bolt up, the drivers side wouldn't have worked because it was directly inline with the drive shaft (I unbolted the drive shaft from the front-end, and the header fit fine. Call me crazy, but I DO like having 4-wheel drive in my 4X4 truck).

The seller said that the part number checked out for the 04-05 5.4L 3V 4x4. I don't know why my set didn't work. They looked great, I wish they had. I finally got a refund saturday.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
any update on the header situation?

Quick Reply: PROBLEM with '04+ 5.4L OBX LT Headers