Finally, Deleted rear cats!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So for us 2005+ guys, do we have the O2 sensors in the larger converters? You mentioned the 4 cat setup not having them so I assume they didn't add them to the newer design, only the old body style has them in the side of the converter. I would be interested in removing those bad boys and installing the high flows, especially when my Magnaflow exhaust comes in next week sometime. I'd rather do it in one install.

Also, I asked the tech supervisor on Saturday (I took it in for the brake booster vacuum assist line recall) about the clicking noise and if it's the cam phaser making the noise, and he looked as if I was crazy. After I explained it as a diesel noise, he said it's the injectors getting clogged with carbon deposits and the fuel forcing through the nozzles that make the noise, and a cleansing would fix it but it would come back again. I laughed as I declined to pay for it...

Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NTXRockr
So for us 2005+ guys, do we have the O2 sensors in the larger converters? You mentioned the 4 cat setup not having them so I assume they didn't add them to the newer design, only the old body style has them in the side of the converter. I would be interested in removing those bad boys and installing the high flows, especially when my Magnaflow exhaust comes in next week sometime. I'd rather do it in one install.
Trucks assembled in 2005 - present have two large converters. Its pretty much a normal cat, our rears and pre-cats combined. There are 2005 trucks with four cats on them, the 2005s assembled in 2004 ( first production series of the 2005 year pretty much ). Your only remedy for increased sound is hi-flow cats. And well, cutting the cats out, but it wont sound as good and would be illegal.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
That's fine by me...I was already planning on installing the high flows and removing the rears if it had the 4 cat setup, but since I only have the two larger ones even better. I think the money I can make from selling my stock cats will pay for the high flows, so it'll be an even swap if I do the install...

Now can you clamp the cats like you can do with exhaust or are they weld on only? I was thinking I was going to clamp the exhaust on but if one has to be welded and I or my friend is welding the cats then I'll weld the magnaflow components as well (or have the exhaust shop do it...don't know if they'd do the cats but they might since we don't have emissions).

Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by NTXRockr
That's fine by me...I was already planning on installing the high flows and removing the rears if it had the 4 cat setup, but since I only have the two larger ones even better. I think the money I can make from selling my stock cats will pay for the high flows, so it'll be an even swap if I do the install...

Now can you clamp the cats like you can do with exhaust or are they weld on only? I was thinking I was going to clamp the exhaust on but if one has to be welded and I or my friend is welding the cats then I'll weld the magnaflow components as well (or have the exhaust shop do it...don't know if they'd do the cats but they might since we don't have emissions).
If I had that option, I too would cut my cats out and clamp in the hi-flows. But, You will still need to drill and mount the rear O2 into the pipe behind the cat. The OEM cats are larger than 12" I know that for sure, So do alot of pre-measures.

Most shops should do it though. Just make sure you get your cats back. Shouldn't cost no more than $50 - $80 to have your hi-flows installed.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jughed
If you only cut out the rears you wont throw a CEL. I cut mine out last month and love it. I took them in to salvage and got $190 bucks for the pair. Spent 80 of that on Crown Royal, told my wife they gave me 50, and bought my girlfriend some flowers with the rest.

I didnt need to do this cause i didnt throw a code but.....The second O2s sensors job is to look for a difference from the first O2. I bought two sets of those large spark plug anti foul spacers. Drilled out the center of one and screwed it into another that i left alone. This is the same thread size and pitch as your sensor. You screw the spacer into the bung of the rear O2 and screw your sensor into the spacer. This will move the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and should make the O2 think the cats are there. Didnt need to do it but bought the stuff just in case....It costs about 7 dollars so i figured I would have the stuff JIK....If anyone wants to try it I will send you the set....
IF someone was thinking about doing this... which way is better? The O2 sims or the spark plug anti fouler method???

97 4.6L Magnaflow SI/SO

Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by successtrainer
IF someone was thinking about doing this... which way is better? The O2 sims or the spark plug anti fouler method???

97 4.6L Magnaflow SI/SO
I just cut the rear cats off my '99 5.4L... Sounds just like Ford Truckin's truck before he installed the x-pipe. Definately LOUD! Even when taking it easy. I threw a code within the first 50 miles, but I didn't bother reading it. I just reset the computer with my ScanGauge. I think it was because one of the pipes I used to replace the cats wasn't tightened enough and was leaking/hissing pretty bad. I just used flexible exhaust pipe and clamps... I can definately see that as the cause. I will eventually take it to a shop and have actual exhaust pipe welded in. After tightening it and 85 miles later, no codes! I'll see what a few hundred more miles will yeild... Codes and MPG wise.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM

Well since this thread has been brought back, i'll give a minor update.

For the past few months i've had leaks from the back of the cat delete pipes. I'm gonna get them welded up eventually. Truck performs great without them and the Gryphon programmer helps too. Never threw a CEL, 04 - 05 4 cat systems will guaranteed not throw a CEL with the rears removed due to the sensors mount.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Suspended
darren, you know if there are any way to delete 1 cat on 06+ w/ 2 cats without throwing a code?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
darren, you know if there are any way to delete 1 cat on 06+ w/ 2 cats without throwing a code?
Why would you want to delete just 1? theres two under there on each bank. With O2 sims you can disable O2 monitoring and run no cats. Or get hi-flow cats and have the sensors mounted after the cats.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Why would you want to delete just 1? theres two under there on each bank. With O2 sims you can disable O2 monitoring and run no cats. Or get hi-flow cats and have the sensors mounted after the cats.
well if one of my cats doesn't have an 02 sensor then i wouldnt have to get simulators. hoping i can just delete one to get a tad more noise and not throw a code with out running simulators but not sure if thats even possible

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't delete just one cat on the newer trucks. You need to have equal backpressure on each bank. If you don't, it may cause valve damage. You can remove both cats or install 2 highflow cats.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
well if one of my cats doesn't have an 02 sensor then i wouldnt have to get simulators. hoping i can just delete one to get a tad more noise and not throw a code with out running simulators but not sure if thats even possible
2005.5+ trucks have only two cats, 1 per bank, and they both have O2s right in the middle. Your options are run no cats, or hi-flow converters, the O2s will need to be mounted behind the hi-flow cats to keep the CEL off and keep it legal.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Just ran by this thread I have a 05 Lariat and it had 2 cats not 4, so not all of the 05's have 4 cats

Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM
jsut ripped mine off today and it was totally worth it ive been wanting to do this for like 6 months i just clamped a pipe in place for now but my exhaust guy said for a six pack hell weld them up for me so looks like ill be doing that only drove 50 miles (hard) and no codes so i recommend this to everyone sounds awesome

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wagner01
jsut ripped mine off today and it was totally worth it ive been wanting to do this for like 6 months i just clamped a pipe in place for now but my exhaust guy said for a six pack hell weld them up for me so looks like ill be doing that only drove 50 miles (hard) and no codes so i recommend this to everyone sounds awesome

not everyone can do it..some people (like me) have strict emission checks every 2 yrs

Quick Reply: Finally, Deleted rear cats!