I Need Your Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109
i love that sound, and especially f150fella's.
haha thanks man!!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, so hows this....?

Magnaflow 14" SI/DO 12198 (or 12158?)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=MPE-12198

Magnaflow Tips 35117
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=MPE-35117

Will this sound and perform good?
Will i need some kind of tune (i hope not)?
Are these good prices, or could i get them cheaper somewhere else?

If you can answer these questions (again), and give me the green light with these parts, i'm about ready to order.

Oh and thanks guys for being patient with me. :o

Last edited by DanF150; 09-12-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DanF150
Ok guys, so hows this....?

Magnaflow 14" SI/DO 12198 (or 12158?)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=MPE-12198

Magnaflow Tips 35117
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=MPE-35117

Will this sound and perform good?
Will i need some kind of tune (i hope not)?
Are these good prices, or could i get them cheaper somewhere else?

If you can answer these questions (again), and give me the green light with these parts, i'm about ready to order.

Oh and thanks guys for being patient with me. :o
Perfect choice for tips

The difference between 12198 and 12158 is the first is 3" in, 2nd is 2.5". If your willing to get a new intermediate exhaust pipe a 3" pipe connected from the Y pipe into a 3" muffler will perform really good with the 2.5" dual outlets, and sound really good. 2.5" will still be good, but you may see small gains in economy and torque with the 3".

No tune needed for just exhaust, if you get wider tires ( which I believe I saw BFG T/A KOs? ) a cold air intake, then a tune would be worth while because it will balance all the power out and help it perform great. But no tune is neccessary for just exhaust.

You may be able to get the muffler and tips cheaper through Performance Peddler.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Hmm, would this 3" Intermediate pipe be something a shop would have and just be able to throw on, or would there be a specific kind i should order along with the muffler and tips? I definetly would like the small gains if possible.

I do have the BFG AT KO's, i went from 255/70/17 to 305/65/18. Now as far as getting a tune for the wider tires, and possibly an intake if i end up getting one of those, does that mean i'd want to get something like the edge (which i'd have no idea how to use lol), or can a shop tune things up for me?

By the way thanks Darren, you've been a great help.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:30 AM

Hmm, would this 3" Intermediate pipe be something a shop would have and just be able to throw on, or would there be a specific kind i should order along with the muffler and tips? I definetly would like the small gains if possible.

I do have the BFG AT KO's, i went from 255/70/17 to 305/65/18. Now as far as getting a tune for the wider tires, and possibly an intake if i end up getting one of those, does that mean i'd want to get something like the edge (which i'd have no idea how to use lol), or can a shop tune things up for me?

By the way thanks Darren, you've been a great help.
No problem man glad to help out.

Your exhaust shop will have the pipe. Its basically your pipe from the Y pipe to muffler, converting to a 3" super straight pipe into a muffler exiting 2.5" dual will perform a little healthier and have a better exhaust note.

No i'm talking more about a custom tune. That would make your truck perform top notch and get great economy and have great power. I'm getting a VMP tune pretty soon here, just got to get my new tires on and my S&B intake. Look at the Chips And Programmers section for VMP info. They are the best to go with, and custom tuning is best to go with over a basic shelf bought Edge

Thats quite a tire size change! I currently have the 255/70/17s, going to 285/70/17 T/A KOs pretty soon. Hence the burn out video in my sig

Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Oh ok cool, well its almost a done deal then. I'll be ordering the muffler and tips very soon.
And it did end up being a bit cheaper at performance peddlar so thats a plus, hopefully they ship quick (impatient lol)!

I'll also have to read up on and look into a VMP tune, and hell probably an intake while i'm at it. Hell why not, i love spending money on this truck anyways lol.

I checked out your burnout, that was pretty sweet! I should of done that with my stockers before i took them of lol. Also i checked out your exhuast clips....damn!!!

Thanks man.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know of any savings/coupon codes that can be used at performance peddlar?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:41 AM

Oh ok cool, well its almost a done deal then. I'll be ordering the muffler and tips very soon.
And it did end up being a bit cheaper at performance peddlar so thats a plus, hopefully they ship quick (impatient lol)!

I'll also have to read up on and look into a VMP tune, and hell probably an intake while i'm at it. Hell why not, i love spending money on this truck anyways lol.

I checked out your burnout, that was pretty sweet! I should of done that with my stockers before i took them of lol. Also i checked out your exhuast clips....damn!!!

Thanks man.
Sounds good man looking forward to your response to it!

Yeah I'm going with the Xcal3 from VMP pretty soon. Looking real forward to it.

thanks man. I have new fly by and WOT clips of my exhaust now with the rear cats out, just gotta get to adding it on the computer and making a video of it. Hopefully tonight.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey Darren, I was listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4td6sPIVg video clip again. I love that sound, how close will the set-up i'm going to get be to this. I know it wont be the same, but will it be at all close? And did you lose or gain anything with that?

On another note, i called performance peddlar. The guy told me i'd have the Muffler and Tips by wednesday if i order today, total would be $177.90.

Last edited by DanF150; 09-12-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Just wanna make sure i'm making the right choice before i order today!:o

Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
What do you think about the 12198 Dan and Darren?

The 5x8 oval would probably be a little louder than the 5x11.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Dan, I don't think you're going to get close to sounding like Mine or Dan's truck with just one muffler, it will sound MUCH better, but if you're in love with me, dan's or fella's setup, might as well spend the money on true duals.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Hmmm i do love the way yours and Darren's sound. Hmmmm decisions decisions....... lol.
Since i have an 06, and 2 cat's instead of 4 (i think), does that also make a difference in what i do?
And what would the performance difference's be between what i plan to do, and something like your's and Darren's? I definetly dont want to lose any performance and would absolutely love to gain, even if its a very small amount.
I want to order something soon, but at the same time i dont want to rush and end up with something i may regret.

Last edited by DanF150; 09-12-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:06 PM
I think you'd really be happy running true duals. Now the stock cats have platinum in them, and you can sell them at the junk yard (I traded mine for labor) and virtually pay for the parts/installation of high flows especially if you decide to do it while she's already up in the air. It's really hard for me to truly say what kind of performance ups/downs you would have because I have a programmer in my truck. I went from the 1 14" magnaflow to true duals and immediately took 2/10's off my 0-60, I can tell a difference on the top end for sure, once I hit about 3 grand she roars. If you're like me you'll love the single 14" magnaflow, but it's soon going to be "not good enough" and I found myself 6 months later going true duals and high flows.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Hey Darren, I was listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4td6sPIVg video clip again. I love that sound, how close will the set-up i'm going to get be to this. I know it wont be the same, but will it be at all close? And did you lose or gain anything with that?
It would sound just a pinch or two quieter, but the same tone. It wont have a true dual sound to it but it will be heard good. It will be pretty close, especially if you get the 3" intermediate pipe. I lost a little low end torque by getting true duals, but my mpg went from 15.3 to 16.2.

true duals sounds great, but you will be sacraficing performance minorly. I'm hoping my custom tune will give me some performance back but I dont know for sure if it will once all other modifications are installed.