I Need Your Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
It would sound just a pinch or two quieter, but the same tone. It wont have a true dual sound to it but it will be heard good. It will be pretty close, especially if you get the 3" intermediate pipe. I lost a little low end torque by getting true duals, but my mpg went from 15.3 to 16.2.

true duals sounds great, but you will be sacraficing performance minorly. I'm hoping my custom tune will give me some performance back but I dont know for sure if it will once all other modifications are installed.
So basically its either get the 14" Magnaflow SI/DO and maintain or possibly improve my performance, or.....go with the true dual, which will sound better, but i'll lose a bit of performance.

Ok, well then "i think" i'll end up just sticking with the 14" Magnaflow SI/DO and Magnaflow Tips then. Because i already lost a bit of low end torque with my tire upgrade and i really do not want to lose anymore, and a custom tune will be far down the road for me.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep if your looking for a rediculously good sounding exhaust go with true duals, now that i have mine i love them, and dont know why i ever had a single muffler, dont see me ever having a single muffler again

Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Of course i'd like a rediculously good sounding exhuast, but i just dont think i can deal with more power loss. With my 34" tires a lost a bit, nothing to extreme but i just fear losing more if i go with True Duals. And going with the 14" SI/DO and gaining a little is very tempting. I've never had a custom exhaust so i already know i'll be happy with either one, i just have to seriously think about it some more i guess.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep unless your made of money you cant have too much fun with the truck. Their most fun when big and loud. But the 14" body isn't that quiet its real good sounding.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok, so just for the hell of it, let's say i go True Duals. I'll still get the same Magnaflow tips (35117), but what muffler would i get? Would i want two 14" Mufflers, or something even smaller? And what else would i need to get along with that, H pipe, X pipe, bigger intermediate Pipes, etc etc..? Recommeded part numbers would also be appreciated so i can do a little pricing and compare the two different setups....thanks again, i'm getting closer.

Oh, and i wont have any trouble passing inspections with emissions on either of these set-ups will i?

Last edited by DanF150; 09-13-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DanF150
Ok, so just for the hell of it, let's say i go True Duals. I'll still get the same Magnaflow tips (35117), but what muffler would i get? Would i want two 14" Mufflers, or something even smaller? And what else would i need to get along with that, H pipe, X pipe, bigger intermediate Pipes, etc etc..? Recommeded part numbers would also be appreciated so i can do a little pricing and compare the two different setups....thanks again, i'm getting closer.

Oh, and i wont have any trouble passing inspections with emissions on either of these set-ups will i?
If you decided to go true duals I would suggest replicating my exhaust exept for cutting the rear cats since thats illegal. Then you will definitely have my trucks exact sound after the exhaust install. That would mean you need 2.5" true duals X piped, and 11" body Magnaflows.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok cool, i think i have about all the information i need now to make my decision.

Well except i want to ask one more time, if i go 14" SI/DO....what muffler would be the smartest choice to get, 12198 or 12158? I know that you said with the 12198 i'd have to get a 3" intermediate pipe, and might see small gains. But....which muffler would actually be the best/smartest one to go with?

This should hopefully be my last question, and again thank you and everyone else for being patient with me. I'm beginning to soak this all in now and i appreciate the help very much...

Dan

Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 PM

Ok cool, i think i have about all the information i need now to make my decision.

Well except i want to ask one more time, if i go 14" SI/DO....what muffler would be the smartest choice to get, 12198 or 12158? I know that you said with the 12198 i'd have to get a 3" intermediate pipe, and might see small gains. But....which muffler would actually be the best/smartest one to go with?

This should hopefully be my last question, and again thank you and everyone else for being patient with me. I'm beginning to soak this all in now and i appreciate the help very much...

Dan
They're both equally fine and will sound the same, the 3" inlet will just be a little better performance wise, but it wont be that noticeable between the two. If you would prefer the more affordable muffler & tailpipe swap, get the 58 2.5" inlet. Its pretty much just a cost decision.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Alright, now it's decision time.
I'll let you and everyone else know what i end up doing.
And once i get everything installed i'll try to make a sound clip of it.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 PM

Alright, now it's decision time.
I'll let you and everyone else know what i end up doing.
And once i get everything installed i'll try to make a sound clip of it.

Thanks for all your help.
Sounds good ma n and no problem. Always enjoy helping someone out when I can

Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, unfortunately i'm still having trouble deciding...but thats just my indecisive nature at it's best lol. Anyways, the bottom 2 options are what i'm considering and i'm still leaning towards #1.

#1- Magnaflow 14" SI/DO (part # 12198 or 12158), with 4x18 Magnaflow tips (35117).
#2- Magnaflow True Duals with two 11" Body's, same tips, and an x pipe.

Then someone suggested doing this (#3) if end up going with True Duals.

#3- Magnaflow 11386 DI/DO with built in X pipe is used instead of 2 11" and an x pipe

How is this number 3 option?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Well, unfortunately i'm still having trouble deciding...but thats just my indecisive nature at it's best lol. Anyways, the bottom 2 options are what i'm considering and i'm still leaning towards #1.

#1- Magnaflow 14" SI/DO (part # 12198 or 12158), with 4x18 Magnaflow tips (35117).
#2- Magnaflow True Duals with two 11" Body's, same tips, and an x pipe.

Then someone suggested doing this (#3) if end up going with True Duals.

#3- Magnaflow 11386 DI/DO with built in X pipe is used instead of 2 11" and an x pipe

How is this number 3 option?
You'll be set either way. Magnaflows di/do still considers as a true dual since its basically an X pipe with a case wrapped around it. It should sound exactly the way my truck does, just maybe a very slight tad calmer because of my X pipes design, vs the Magnaflow version, which works better than mine.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
You'll be set either way. Magnaflows di/do still considers as a true dual since its basically an X pipe with a case wrapped around it. It should sound exactly the way my truck does, just maybe a very slight tad calmer because of my X pipes design, vs the Magnaflow version, which works better than mine.
x2 on that,

really you might be a little easier on the wallet if you go DI/DO still true duals with a X pipe if it were me i would go with the true dual (2 muffler) maggie set up, even tho im not a big fan of maggies

i love my true dual 10 series flowmasters

would only trade them for straights or super 44's

Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Ok so basically the DI/DO would be the same, except slightly calmer but with better performance, if i'm understanding correctly (correct me if i'm wrong). The performance part is the reason i was leaning towards the SI/DO, but if i'm understanding correctly, i may shift my interest towards the DI/DO because True Duals do sound very nice for sure.

And on another note, someone was saying that SI/DO's are the best way to go for our trucks. Reason being that True Duals only work well when all the pipes are the same exact length, but that it's hard to do that because of the gas tank.

Any truth to this?

Last edited by DanF150; 09-17-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM

Super 44s would be downgrading your sound from the level its at now, you would make your truck quieter??

Ok so basically the DI/DO would be the same, except slightly calmer but with better performance, if i'm understanding correctly (correct me if i'm wrong). The performance part is the reason i was leaning towards the SI/DO, but if i'm understanding correctly, i may shift my interest towards the DI/DO because True Duals do sound very nice for sure.

And on another note, someone was saying that SI/DO's are the best way to go for our trucks. Reason being that True Duals only work well when all the pipes are the same exact length, but that it's hard to do that because of the gas tank.

Any truth to this?
Yes thats a fact, you seen from my photos how both intermediate pipes are side by side, I have a 35 gallon tank under my truck and it akes up alot of space, so for true duals the left bank system needs guided to the passenger side then exited however. On average, the left bank has about 5' - 6' or more/less more length than the passenger side does. That unbalances the exhaust in sound, and performance. So a cross over is necessary, and the best cross over is the X pipe.

Most people will say, go with smaller pipe like 2.25" pipes for true duals, but I stuck with 2.5". Reason being, I dont feel much of a difference in performance from a truck I rode in with 2.25" duals to my 2.5" duals. I still have scavenging and a good pressure leaving the tips. 2.5" also wont pop and crackle so damn much, god I hate that. Listen to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbmwjv9qEI Running no mufflers also, but that truck rasps way too much, very unrespectable sound.

As long as you X pipe it ( 11" body di/do will take care of that ) you should be set, and will be sounding like my truck before the cats got cut out ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9UHiQip6O0 ). My truck needs tuned thats the only reason I think my exhaust is bad, if the tune wakes my truck up and updates it better, then I would recommend true duals more.