What is factory CAI on 2006 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109
first, welcome to the forums.

if all you want is better sound, i would recommend a new muffler. check out the exhaust section under the powertrain (oem) section. check out the links in mine and darren's sigs for a sample audio clip.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-27/

you never did tell us if you have a 5.4 liter engine or not. if you do(i assume so) then you WILL need a tuner. the 04+ 5.4's have a new mass air flow sensor that could cause your truck to run lean. running lean causes the engine to run hotter, burning the rubber and stuff in the engine. the older 5.4's and all 4.6's have the old maf which is less likely to run lean, so not everyone here needs to have a tuner, but their benefits are huge, so most people who invest money in performance stuff buy a tuner.

almost everyone here who has experienced the difference a tuner makes will strongly recomend one. you wont be sorry if you get one.

with that said, if you want a tuner, you can probably find a used one for a good price.

but if you do have a 5.4, and decide to get a cai, get the tuner now, then the other two, like thumper said.

Sorry - I have a 2006 5.4 V8 - I think after reading all this the tuner is a good thing to have regardless if your making any modifications. $400 for a tuner would be chump change compared to what it would cost to replace the engine.

As far as getting a used one, I thought these all came pre-programmed based on what kind of truck you had? I thought I read that in one of the threads, but I could be mistaken.

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:48 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by BK06F150
Sorry - I have a 2006 5.4 V8 - I think after reading all this the tuner is a good thing to have regardless if your making any modifications. $400 for a tuner would be chump change compared to what it would cost to replace the engine.

As far as getting a used one, I thought these all came pre-programmed based on what kind of truck you had? I thought I read that in one of the threads, but I could be mistaken.
No, they come with canned tunes, but those tunes are not tunes for the CAI. They need to have a custom tune downloaded that can then be transferred to your turuck, to take the CAI into account. Same for a supercharger, or different throttle body.

Quick Reply: What is factory CAI on 2006 F150