What is factory CAI on 2006 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 09:16 AM
|
Question What is factory CAI on 2006 F150

Does anyone know what brand Ford uses for their CAI? Is it really that inferior to an aftermarket one like an S&B, Volant, etc...?

Also, if I was to buy an S&B CAI or another aftermarket CAI for a 2006 F150 would I have to do any modifications in order for it to fit or would I simply unbolt the factory one and pop on the new one?

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Ford uses Ford... its their intake, on their truck.

Aftermarket intakes flow and perform better because they are direct flowing with a good filter, OEM intakes have restrictions and wont ever flow as good as an after market one even with a drop in filter.

If you have a 5.4L, after buying an S&B intake you will need a custom tune to prevent running lean, and to level the trucks performance out and unleash the power in it. You cant add a intake on a 5.4L 3v and run healthy without a tune.

You also should have a custom exhaust to free up the restriction there, and get a nicer sound.

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:02 AM
Global Moderator &
The biggest difference is that the OEM has a silencer on it, aftermarket does not.

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:19 AM
|
Thanks for the reply...I need to ask a stupid question. I read quite a bit in these threads about getting a custome tune...what exactly is this and who would do it? Would Ford do it or would they not even touch the truck no that I have modified it?

Is it costly to do this custom tune?

One more question...could I do this in steps...for example, buy the CAI and have it installed now, then in 6 months or so, buy the new exhaust and have that installed. Money is a little tight, especially with the holidays fast approaching. If I was to get the CAI now, would I be better off waiting until I got the new exhaust and have it installed all at once?

Thanks for all your help guys

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:40 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by BK06F150
Thanks for the reply...I need to ask a stupid question. I read quite a bit in these threads about getting a custome tune...what exactly is this and who would do it? Would Ford do it or would they not even touch the truck no that I have modified it?

Is it costly to do this custom tune?

One more question...could I do this in steps...for example, buy the CAI and have it installed now, then in 6 months or so, buy the new exhaust and have that installed. Money is a little tight, especially with the holidays fast approaching. If I was to get the CAI now, would I be better off waiting until I got the new exhaust and have it installed all at once?

Thanks for all your help guys
You need to do some reading in the Chips and Programmers section. A custom tune is entered into your trucks computer by a hand held device referred to as a tuner. The most common are Xcal2, Xcal3 and the Gryphon. The companies writing the more popular custom tunes are VMP and Troyer for the Xcal and Power Hungry Performance for the Gryphon. You need really should get a custom tune to best utilize a CAI and also to avoid running lean. I myself, would never run an aftermarket CAI without a custom tune, though, some do. I just do not want to risk running lean.

Old 09-16-2008 | 10:44 AM
Suspended
I'd recommend getting the programmer first. Than when you get your CAI, you can tell your tuner than you need a revised tune for the cold air intake. This is one of the programmers.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=226&parent=66

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:38 AM
|
Thanks Thumper for the link...what if I did not want to spend the $300 for the tuner, would this be something a garage could or would be able to do for me? I can't imagine that everyone who buys a CAI also buys the tuner as well. Can anyone tell me if they have had a garage or dealer tune it for them?

Not to mention I would have no clue how to read one of these tuner's. Let's just say I am not very mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to automobiles.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:45 AM
Global Moderator &
Thanks Thumper for the link...what if I did not want to spend the $300 for the tuner, would this be something a garage could or would be able to do for me? I can't imagine that everyone who buys a CAI also buys the tuner as well. Can anyone tell me if they have had a garage or dealer tune it for them?

Not to mention I would have no clue how to read one of these tuner's. Let's just say I am not very mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to automobiles.
The tuner is extremely simple to use. You don't have to be able to do anything other than plug it in and push a few buttons. No, a mechanic can not do it for you. Each truck must have it's own tuner.

Another link, for the unit I use is:

www.powerhungryperformance.com

This one provides a monitor with gauges that I like. Do some reading, you will understand more.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:49 AM
Global Moderator &
Another thing, if you will notice poster's signatures, the majority that have CAI, DO have a tuner. A tuner provides the most improved performance for the money and the trouble over any other mod. I would get the tuner rather than the CAI, if it were me. Infact, I have.

You're talking 6 to 8 HP for a CAI and you get about 25 HP from a tuner, plus improved shifting.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:51 AM
Suspended
The programmer will be a much better mod for your money than the cold air intake.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:57 AM
I think bluejay hit it right on.

My logical thought is, "if the after market CAI is so much better, why wouldn't Ford just us that as stock." It's because the after market CAI are focused on more air flow and don't care about noise. You can definitely hear a difference between stock and after market when you mash on that pedal.

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:07 PM
|
Guys I really appreciate all your answers, I'm learning quite a bit, but I have just one more, hopefully not too dumb, of a question.

I saw someone reply saying they would never put a CAI in without doing a custom tune as well. Why is that? Would something happen to the truck or are you saying that because you'd be spending all the money on this CAI and without doing the tune you wouldn't be getting the maximum out of it?

To be honest with you, the reason for me getting the CAI along with the new exhaust is to get a more throaty sound. I know this will also improve the performance of my truck, but I'm more interested in it sounding tougher than anything else. Hell, the truck only has 20K on it, so I think it runs pretty damn good as it is.

I also don't want to be wasting money I don't have so I definitely value everyones input.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:14 PM
Global Moderator &
Guys I really appreciate all your answers, I'm learning quite a bit, but I have just one more, hopefully not too dumb, of a question.

I saw someone reply saying they would never put a CAI in without doing a custom tune as well. Why is that? Would something happen to the truck or are you saying that because you'd be spending all the money on this CAI and without doing the tune you wouldn't be getting the maximum out of it?

To be honest with you, the reason for me getting the CAI along with the new exhaust is to get a more throaty sound. I know this will also improve the performance of my truck, but I'm more interested in it sounding tougher than anything else. Hell, the truck only has 20K on it, so I think it runs pretty damn good as it is.

I also don't want to be wasting money I don't have so I definitely value everyones input.

Thanks
If sound is your reason, get an exhaust that sounds throaty to start with, such as Flowmaster or Roush Offroad. The reason many will tell you to avoid a CAI without a tune is that you are increasing the air flow with the possibility that your computer cannot match it with the fuel needed. Thus it runs lean. You might hear it pinging when it is lean, but you may not. It can cause serious damage to valves and pistons running in a lean condition. You may be fortunate and not run lean, but I would not risk it on such a costly engine. By the way, a tuner improves the exhaust sound just as the CAI does.

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:38 PM
dang it. bulejay, you posted right before me!

first, welcome to the forums.

if all you want is better sound, i would recommend a new muffler. check out the exhaust section under the powertrain (oem) section. check out the links in mine and darren's sigs for a sample audio clip.
exhaust

you never did tell us if you have a 5.4 liter engine or not. if you do(i assume so) then you WILL need a tuner. the 04+ 5.4's have a new mass air flow sensor that could cause your truck to run lean. running lean causes the engine to run hotter, burning the rubber and stuff in the engine. the older 5.4's and all 4.6's have the old maf which is less likely to run lean, so not everyone here needs to have a tuner, but their benefits are huge, so most people who invest money in performance stuff buy a tuner.

almost everyone here who has experienced the difference a tuner makes will strongly recomend one. you wont be sorry if you get one.

with that said, if you want a tuner, you can probably find a used one for a good price.

but if you do have a 5.4, and decide to get a cai, get the tuner now, then the other two, like thumper said.

Last edited by sharpshooter109; 09-17-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: dangit. bluejay posted on top of me!
Old 09-16-2008 | 02:39 PM
|
Thanks Bluejay, perfect explanation, even I can understand that.

Quick Reply: What is factory CAI on 2006 F150