Magnaflow question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops, I have one more question lol! The highflow cat 94106 is 2.5" in and 2.5" out, but the muffler I ordered is 3" in and 2.5" out. If the highflow cat is before the muffler and has 2.5" going in and out, will the muffler I ordered be a problem with 3" in???

Ah man, hope I didn't order the wrong parts.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vancityf150
Oops, I have one more question lol! The highflow cat 94106 is 2.5" in and 2.5" out, but the muffler I ordered is 3" in and 2.5" out. If the highflow cat is before the muffler and has 2.5" going in and out, will the muffler I ordered be a problem with 3" in???

Ah man, hope I didn't order the wrong parts.
Nope no worries. The cats are way before the muffler, just run a 3" intermediate pipe after the Y, good performing system right there.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanx for the help. One last question, does the 94106 have a place for the sensor to plug in? If not, what do I do about that?

I've already ordered the 94106's, but I have put the guy on hold while I figure this out.
He's trying to sell me the Magnaflow 99006HM cats. I know nothing about these but that they are like double the price!!!

I want the 94106's because they are the shortest and will have the better sound (to me). But what about the sensors??? And these other cats he's trying to upsale me on?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Thanx for the help. One last question, does the 94106 have a place for the sensor to plug in? If not, what do I do about that?

I've already ordered the 94106's, but I have put the guy on hold while I figure this out.
He's trying to sell me the Magnaflow 99006HM cats. I know nothing about these but that they are like double the price!!!

I want the 94106's because they are the shortest and will have the better sound (to me). But what about the sensors??? And these other cats he's trying to upsale me on?
They dont have sensors in them, but they will comply with the front and rear sensors.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6

True. Both are good systems though you win either way
Yeah i have a feeling i'll be happy!
One quick question though, something thats been lurking in my mind. I know the sound is different from what i'm getting (14" Magnaflow SI/DO) vs the Roush off road, but is the perfomance at least the same??? Keeping in mind that with the set up i'm getting, i'm using a 3" intermediate pipe, and all piping will be stainless.

Last edited by DanF150; 09-25-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
They dont have sensors in them, but they will comply with the front and rear sensors.
I should go out and look, but its dark outside. I thought my stock cats have sensors in them, so I was wondering if the highflow cats do not have a plug in for the sensor, what do I do? Would I just have the sensor put somewhere else?

Is it better to order a highflow that has a plug in for the sensor?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Just went and looked at my cats with a flashlight lol. My stock cats have sensors going directly into them. So now I'm wondering what in the world I do with them when I install the highflow cats with no plug in for them?

Is there a highflow Magnaflow cat that you can plug right into?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DanF150
Yeah i have a feeling i'll be happy!
One quick question though, something thats been lurking in my mind. I know the sound is different from what i'm getting (14" Magnaflow SI/DO) vs the Roush off road, but is the perfomance at least the same??? Keeping in mind that with the set up i'm getting, i'm using a 3" intermediate pipe, and all piping will be stainless.
Performance will be exactly the same. It wont make those rare pops that the Roush will either, Roush muffler is 3" in 2.25" out I believe.

Just went and looked at my cats with a flashlight lol. My stock cats have sensors going directly into them. So now I'm wondering what in the world I do with them when I install the highflow cats with no plug in for them?

Is there a highflow Magnaflow cat that you can plug right into?
If your truck is 2005.5 - present you have the two cats with the rear sensors mounted in them. You can still run the 94106 cats, it will need to be layed out like this, front sensors where they are, hi-flow cats, then rear sensors and inch behind them. The reason the rear sensors are mounted in the cat is that is where the burnt gases needs to be filtered at. The other unmonitored end of the cat is the sound resonating section which does not need to be monitored. So you will be fine.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Man you should work at a muffler shop or something lol. Thanx again for all the help!

So the sensor will just go right into the pipe right after the cat, closer to the muffler right? So I'm hoping any competent muffler shop should be able to do that. This an easy thing for them to do?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Man you should work at a muffler shop or something lol. Thanx again for all the help!

So the sensor will just go right into the pipe right after the cat, closer to the muffler right? So I'm hoping any competent muffler shop should be able to do that. This an easy thing for them to do?
I know my stuff, wish I could though so I could do my own exhaust work!

Yeah the shop will mount the sensor after the cat for you. Magnaflows cats dont resonate sound, they let the loudness flow, and filter the gases. Yeah it generally is. What gets tricky for them is the trucks with 4 converters, getting them front converters out because Ford has the downpipes built with them installed when they attach them to the manifolds, but that wont be a problem with you.

You can also scrap them cats for a nice hunk of change too, so dont let the shop keep them! The cats contain platnum and stainless. Or, you can make a trade off, give them the cats and receive the install and sensor mounting for free.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow question