yes another longtube question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes another longtube question

i have a 99 f150 with the 4.6l engine and its 2wd i have been looking trying to find some longtube headers, do they exist for my truck and if so where can i get them i really want a set to finish off my exhaust i plan on running it with true duals possibly no cats and x pipe and two flowmaster 40 series out the side like the lightning. can anyone help me out with finding them, and do you think the set up sounds good.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5.4L headers will fit it. Thats what a majority of 4.6 people do.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Pacesetter quick-trip headers fit my truck. only prob i ran into was the EGR is bigger for the 5.4L and i couldnt find an adapter any were so i had to block it off. My long tubes were only 283 bucks but they are just 18 Gauge steel and they will rust. if you want you can get some Stainless steel ones but a member on here had those rust on him!!! i bought this high temp header paint and put it on my headers before i installed them stayed on longer then the black paint that comes on the header would have. a few of the primarys are now rust and not paint but some are still painted. ill try and find the site i bought mine. i also have a site for an EGR block plate.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
so theres no need for the egr tube? and without does it affect performance or gas mileage at all?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
EGR is Exhuast gas recurlation it helps warm up the Throttle body a lil bit and it burns a lil bit of the exhuast gas. i didnt notice any drop in performace or mileage at all without it. then again the performace you pick up from the longtubes. You will throw a code with the EGR blocked *EGR insuffent flow* that code was already on my truck before i did it and it never hurt any thing. if you have a programmer you can do an EGR delete and there will be no code. i dont really see a use for it. i just got a 3/4" pluming cap and screwed that into the header and i put a 3/8s exention in the EGR pipe and duck taped it for the frist week i had longtubes *Temp/redneck fix* i now have an EGR block plate that goes were the EGR it self went. ill try and find the sites for the block plate and headers right now.
Headers http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...P40702226.html
EGR block plate http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...5144720ded6893

Good luck

Last edited by shifty_85; 09-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
EGR is Exhuast gas recurlation it helps warm up the Throttle body a lil bit and it burns a lil bit of the exhuast gas. i didnt notice any drop in performace or mileage at all without it. then again the performace you pick up from the longtubes. You will throw a code with the EGR blocked *EGR insuffent flow* that code was already on my truck before i did it and it never hurt any thing. if you have a programmer you can do an EGR delete and there will be no code. i dont really see a use for it. i just got a 3/4" pluming cap and screwed that into the header and i put a 3/8s exention in the EGR pipe and duck taped it for the frist week i had longtubes *Temp/redneck fix* i now have an EGR block plate that goes were the EGR it self went. ill try and find the sites for the block plate and headers right now.
Headers http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...P40702226.html
EGR block plate http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...5144720ded6893

Good luck

Where did you get the block off plate? ive been looking for one but i cant find one. i have a chunck of steel i need to drill and shape, but it would be easer to just buy one. ( you beat me too it lol)

And to answer your question 5.4 headers will fit its not easy but they will... the drivers side was no proublem. the passingers side on the other hand was a pain in the A$$... i had to unbolt both sides of the motor and move it to the drivers side to get it to slide in... but once there fit prefectly.. good luck

Also... go with 14" magaflows... better performance... i have the setup you want... let me find the vids

Last edited by polpilot; 09-22-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM
i didnt have a prob with the passenger side at all. i left the starter in and i didnt have to unbolt the motor mounts. it was tight putting them up there i had to take the heat sheild off. and a few of the bottom bolts were a pain to get to and i shocked my self off the starter...*Remove batt cables before installing...* lol Also while the o2's are out you mine as well replace them. if you dont by o2 exentions you can make your own outta wire. i used some speak wires i had left over. pacesetter gives you enogh crimps to make your own but they dont give you nearly enogh wire. good luck

Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
i got a few vids in my sig. one of them is open shortys then the other 2 are my set up now. one is threw my dynomax bullets the other is open cut-outs

Quick Reply: yes another longtube question