Exhaust manifold Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 05:31 AM
|
Exhaust manifold Leak?

Hi, weepster here, I just recently got a 2000 SCrew 5.4 with 89K, really nice condition but after a week it developed what sounds to me to be an exhaust manifold leak, you know the sound. I brought to Truck Guys and someone listened to it and said, I don't think it's exhaust, sounds top end, maybe a bad rocker, etc. Brought it to the dealer and he said definitely exhaust manifold, either way dealer's fixing it. I'm wondering what damage can happen in the meantime if it's not exhaust manifold? Also, will someone just tell me which cat-back exhaust to put in, too many choices for me. I'm thinking flowmaster si/so ?

Old 09-22-2008 | 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by weepster
Hi, weepster here, I just recently got a 2000 SCrew 5.4 with 89K, really nice condition but after a week it developed what sounds to me to be an exhaust manifold leak, you know the sound. I brought to Truck Guys and someone listened to it and said, I don't think it's exhaust, sounds top end, maybe a bad rocker, etc. Brought it to the dealer and he said definitely exhaust manifold, either way dealer's fixing it. I'm wondering what damage can happen in the meantime if it's not exhaust manifold? Also, will someone just tell me which cat-back exhaust to put in, too many choices for me. I'm thinking flowmaster si/so ?
like we tell everyone on here,

dont waste money on cat backs, just buy a muffler and tips and take it to a exhaust shop and get him to install them however you want them ti exit, alot cheaper and you wont have to mess with putting it on

Old 09-22-2008 | 09:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
For an exhaust system, a cat-back is only necessary if your stock pipes are really rusted to hell and should be replaced. Otherwise I wouldn't buy a $550 cat-back ( average price ) for something I can have done cheaper at the shop. If you buy a muffler for say $80, and buy two stainless tips for $40 each, thats $160 worth supplies, maybe $170 or so if you count the shipping, then go to the shop and tell them how to install it and they will for an average of $126 - $156. So you tell me whats cheaper, $316 custom install, or $550 cat-back.

What you need to do is two things, figure out if you need gains, or a really loud sweet sound. And, what sound you would like.

Flowmaster sounds pretty sweet, if you go that route buy the Super 44 si/do. Change the intermediate pipe to a 3", and run 2.5" tailpipes with tips of your choice.

If you want performance gains, and economy gains, with a deep low rumble, look into Magnaflow. Magnaflows line of mufflers can be a bit difficult because they have so damn many of all types of configurations. Basically for trucks, the 18" body and 14" body are the most popular. I have the 11" body mufflers in a true dual system to be different, and louder than the other Magnaflow drivers. I do not recommend you going true dual unless you understand what it will do ( give you a sweet rumble & sound while it robs your low end torque ).

In anyways, the Magnaflow I would recommend for you is the 14" body si/do Go on YouTube and search up videos of both exhausts and figure out what you like. Good luck.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 09-22-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold Leak?