CAI / Exhaust / Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008 | 05:28 PM
|
CAI / Exhaust / Tunes

Can anyone suggest a CAI, Exhaust, tunes combo for me ? I currently have Tp tunes and am thinking of trying VMP because I'm not happy with the Tp. i'm not looking for a race car but I'd like some more power while I tow my trailer. I have an 07 FX4 Screw 5.4L. I used to also have the AF1 CAI but I recently sold it because I was going to sell the truck but the used market here sucks. Does an inclosed S&B work well ? I also had a Airaid but the droan was aweful.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-04-2008 | 06:57 PM
The S&B is the best CAI for your money. It nearly matches the AF1 in performance and looks way cooler IMO. Magnaflow will get you the most performance because of its straight through design, as well as not be too loud while on long trips. And for the tunes, you can't go wrong with a VMP tuned XCal3.

That's the setup I have, my VMP tunes are supposed to arrive Monday.

Old 10-04-2008 | 08:00 PM
I have the S&B and really like it - I have VMP Tunes on the way and a Roush Off Road Exhaust.

Old 10-10-2008 | 05:10 PM
I run Troyer, AF-1 (3" and 3-1/2" tubes), and MBRP Cool Duals. For some reason, my truck likes the Troyer tunes over the VMP's. It's that darn adaptive torque thingy. I tow about 6,500# in travel trailer and the Troyer Tunes work well. That said, I am working with Justin (VMP) to tweak his tunes to get them right. He has been really helpful and patient in tweaking his tunes. I am going to do some data logging to help him find the missing links and hopefully will be good to go. Justin's 87 octane performance and tow tunes (3" AF-1) moves quite well, but my tranny has some issues with it that need to be worked out. I am surprised you don't like your Troyer tune for towing. What's your weight and truck set-up?

Old 10-10-2008 | 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Best system would be,

Tune: VMPtuning

CAI: S&B

Cat-Back: Roush Off-Road, Borla, or Magnaflow

Old 10-12-2008 | 04:46 PM
|
I had TP tunes and an AF1 3" and I found the truck lacked low end power. I now just have the Tp tunes. i find when you step on it there is no power until you get it up to 3000rpm with or without the AF1. That sucks when you are trying to get up to speed while towing. My trailer GVWR I think is about 6000#. I find the only time I notice a difference with the tunes is when you pin it on the highway, other than than that i could use some more low end power. Let me know what happens with Justin because I would like to try his tunes.

Quick Reply: CAI / Exhaust / Tunes