Flowmaster or Magnaflow?

Prove your answer. And I want the loudest one so tell me which that is

Old 10-06-2008 | 02:49 PM
out of the 2-
loudest is flowmaster.
best for performance is magnaflow

Old 10-06-2008 | 02:54 PM
|
Not looking spend over $400 including installation so are there any better brands out there?

Old 10-06-2008 | 02:56 PM
Global Moderator &
At a local shop, my Flowmaster 40 was $225. I am totally satisfied. Yes, I think I lost a little low end torque, but it's not a racer and I love the sound.

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:00 PM
|
bluejay do you have a video or sound clip for me to hear?

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by valleyfreak45
Not looking spend over $400 including installation so are there any better brands out there?
if you want a catback setup then just get the si/do muffler and tips and have a shop make the pipes and install it.

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:05 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by valleyfreak45
bluejay do you have a video or sound clip for me to hear?
No, sorry. Mine is SIDO with pipes bent to exit out the rear. Price included chrome angle cut 18 X 3 tips.

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
You want full explanation and reasonings? Ok.

Flowmaster:

Certainly is the loudest here. Flowmaster mufflers are not internally packed, instead they are made of chambers and baffle plates. Those plates can minorly restrict flow which may in some cases hurt gas mileage and low end torque performance with certain inlet/outlet configurations and exhaust system setups. An example, a Flowmaster SI/DO Super 44 center inlet dual outlet will perform better than a true dualed Flowmaster Super 44 set up with centered inlets and centered outlets. But, an off-set inlet and centered outlet true dual would perform better than center/center because the offset can escape past the baffle plates more than center/center. Those baffle plate positionings is what creates that Flowmaster sound. Flowmaster mufflers are not internally packed, so it will be heard inside.

Flowmaster mufflers are also built of 16 gauge aluminized steel, yes it will be surface rusted after a salty winter has its way, and the aluminized steel may begin to rot out after a couple winters due to salt and just because aluminized steel is cheaper than stainless so therefore, it wont last forever. If someone is happy with the sound and willing to take pre-cautions or buy his mufflers over, then let him do so and be happy.

This is a see-through picture of a Super 44.
This is the best Flowmaster IMO, best sounding, and flowing. The other Flowmasters are restricted much more tha n the Super 44 is so that is my preference to have a Super 44 over the rest.

40 series

50 series

More photos available on Flowmasters website, and google image searching.

Magnaflow

Magnaflow is one of the most prefered mufflers with everyone. Why? Many reasons. Magnaflow is constructed of T-409 stainless steel, available in polished or natural finish. It may surface rust after a few winters, but it will not rust out and break, like aluminized steel will. The interior of a Magnaflow muffler is a packed case of Rock Wool which deadens sound to give a deeper, metallic, mellow note of a straight pipe, and to deaden the interior drone.

Magnaflow is a direct-flow muffler, with the acception of their XL 3 Chamber muffler which I am not positive on how that operates. The direct un-restricted flow is healthier for low end torque, and gas mileage, so there will be an increase. With how long a pick up trucks exhaust system is, the more flow, the better for the engine. This is a picture taken by me of one of my 11" body mufflers before installation.

So in general, If you want a muffler that is peaceful in-cab, will increase low end, gas mileage, and last for as long as you own the truck & longer, Magnaflow is the right choice.

If you want to disturb the peace in the woods with a true american rebel rumble, and are willing to deal with rust, and possible ( but hardly noticeable ) low end a mpg losses, and deal with a bit if interior noise, Flowmaster is the right one for you.

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:18 PM
which motor do you have?

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:23 PM
|
i have 5.4L

Old 10-06-2008 | 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor
I prefer Magnaflow. Ive had Magnaflow on all my cars long before I worked here. So why not stick with a proven winner.

Old 10-06-2008 | 04:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
I prefer Magnaflow. Ive had Magnaflow on all my cars long before I worked here. So why not stick with a proven winner.
Because they are just to quiet to suit me.

Old 10-06-2008 | 05:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

what about Flo-Pro's?

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:52 PM
Go with straights if you want the loudest, 40's for not so loud, and Magnaflows for even quieter but more power. I've actually gotten better gas mileage out of my exhaust, 1.5 MPG's which has me screaming down the roads at 17 MPG.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:16 PM
Suspended
Flowmaster is the loudest. IMO Magnaflow sounds more refined and less redneck-ish. It sounds MEAN and also doesn't give you a headache from drone.

If you just want obnoxious, get the flowmaster. If you want, quality, power, and refined...mean...aggressive sound- go Magnaflow.

Quick Reply: its been asked a million times....