All cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:34 AM
|
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
does that ebay intake put the filter in the fenderwell or is it simply out in the open engine bay?
its open in the engine, with a plate blockin it from the motor

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
this is a better intake

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...take-pics.html

I sold my K&N and ran the "gotts intake" for while on my green truck, my wife's "truck" is still running this same intake
I did this mod over the last weekend. The ford stock intake really does not have any restrictions other than the one in the fender that this mod fixes. I think it was $12 bucks in parts here in Canada and I did notice increased throttle response right away. I have the expensive K&N CAI on my girlfriends Blazer and it is nice but not worth the money. I would take this 12 dollar mod over an expensive CAI for this truck anytime.

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Green_Machine
its open in the engine, with a plate blockin it from the motor
How does that plate block the hot air?

Old 10-08-2008 | 11:28 AM
|
how does that plate block the hot air?
there is a plate like many others blocking it from the motor. As for blocking it from the hot air idk, then how does the other from kn airaid work?guess its a big mystery

Old 10-08-2008 | 11:45 AM
To me, that plate serves no purpose whatsoever. If I were going to get a new intake, it would definitely have to be something that seals the filter and pulls air from outside the engine bay. Anything else is a decrease from stock IMO.

Old 10-08-2008 | 11:49 AM
|
to me, that plate serves no purpose whatsoever. If i were going to get a new intake, it would definitely have to be something that seals the filter and pulls air from outside the engine bay. Anything else is a decrease from stock imo.
not sure, im not a mechanic, nor do i know much about anything execpt to change fluids. So guess we have to get someone who knows all about it on here to answer that.

Old 10-08-2008 | 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &
Back when Mike Troyer posted on this site, he being one of the most recognized tuners of these trucks, and doing a lot of dyno work, said that the open filter was just fine. Being closed was strictly a cosmetic thing. He said there was no more or less heat either way. There are thousands of them out there that are open. Having said that, I still prefer the appearance of one closed, such as S&B.

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Back when Mike Troyer posted on this site, he being one of the most recognized tuners of these trucks, and doing a lot of dyno work, said that the open filter was just fine. Being closed was strictly a cosmetic thing. He said there was no more or less heat either way. There are thousands of them out there that are open. Having said that, I still prefer the appearance of one closed, such as S&B.
I AGREE THE CLOSED LOOK BETTER BUT FOR THE BUCK I COULDNT PASS ON 80 BUCKS.

THANKS BLUEJAY!

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:09 PM
I am surprised by that...a few years ago when I was really into modding cars, I was able to document the difference in AIT's via my laptop datalogging with the open cone intake vs. the intake utilizing the fenderwell for the cold air supply. The IAT's really shot up quickly with the open air intake in the engine bay. The true CAI numbers increased under hard acceleration, but at a much slower rate and did not even get close to those of the open filter. I was not able to test the stock airbox/filter combo as I tossed mine out when I went with an aftermarket setup. This datalogging experiment was performed on a turbo RX-7. The only thing I can see making a difference is the turbo....would the numbers be that different using a NA motor vs a turbo motor?

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:23 PM
Global Moderator &
I am surprised by that...a few years ago when I was really into modding cars, I was able to document the difference in AIT's via my laptop datalogging with the open cone intake vs. the intake utilizing the fenderwell for the cold air supply. The IAT's really shot up quickly with the open air intake in the engine bay. The true CAI numbers increased under hard acceleration, but at a much slower rate and did not even get close to those of the open filter. I was not able to test the stock airbox/filter combo as I tossed mine out when I went with an aftermarket setup. This datalogging experiment was performed on a turbo RX-7. The only thing I can see making a difference is the turbo....would the numbers be that different using a NA motor vs a turbo motor?
I have no idea about the turbo. Was just remembering Mike's post. I guess he could have been biased as the one he recommended was open. Surely not! No, I really do think Mike would call it as he saw it.

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:56 PM
Truck of the Month
Mike Troyer said the AF1 and the stock intake were the best performers out there, I would like to compare the AF1 to a stock intake with the gotts mod at the fender opening.

all the other cai's supposedly had higher iat temps

Old 10-08-2008 | 01:04 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by tarajerame
Mike Troyer said the AF1 and the stock intake were the best performers out there, I would like to compare the AF1 to a stock intake with the gotts mod at the fender opening.

all the other cai's supposedly had higher iat temps
Yes, and the AF1 is similar to what the OP has bought.

Quick Reply: All cold air intakes