Long tube question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long tube question

Ok I just got my Daynatech Long tubes on and OMG these this are feaken lound. Does sound a little weird due to I am still running the Single exit exhaust. Mostly to keep it some what quiet which it did some what. I have never owned or driven in a vehicle with long tube headers so I have noting to comapare it with. It sounds like an exhaust leak but is doesnt. When you drive with the windows down it just sound like it it blowing the exhaust past the gasket but it is not. I looked and dont see any visual leaks. When you drive with the windows up with the torque converter lock and put the motor under a load it sounds like an exhaust leak. If you start it up cold you hear no leaks at all when I would usualy hear a leak. Is this just a noise that comes along with long tube headers or is something F'ed up with my truck. I am going to give the shop that put them on a call to see if there was anyting that might cause this noise.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, you got LTs with a stock exhaust?? Get hi-flow cats and a Magnaflow exhaust soon! Stock is too hard for the engine to exhale with LTs.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
You said u looked for a leak...put ur hand next to the head while the truck is running and see if you can feel it coming out. also dont forget after a lil bit of driving you will need to retorque the header bolts. what about what the LT's go into? could that be leaking? and i agree with darren get an aftermarket Cat-back the stock exhuast isnt ment to hold up with this much flow.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Sorry I should have given a little more detail, I have the full daynatech kit with LT headers,two HF magnaflow cats and meet at a Y. I have the Magnaflow single exit 3" exhaust. I am going for the sleaper look . I went to the shop today and they said that it is just the noise that headers make. Going from thick stock manafolds to thin wall header is going to alow a little more noise. It is a little annoying, I guess I will have to put a smaller muffler on .

Thanks guy.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I have noticed the same thing it almost sounds like a ting might be the sound of the valve opening and closing. Sounds alot better than the stock manifolds though. Good to know that is how it is supposed to sound.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:49 AM
This makes me want LT's. Damn I have to wait.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kokopellif150
This makes me want LT's. Damn I have to wait.
aint that the truth

Old 10-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
headers have a much more audible sound to them than the stock manifolds. I like it though.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I was not sure what my truck was going to sound like the headers and HF cats while still using the single exit exhaust. I have been yet to see or hear anyone running my exhaust combo. Still sounds a little weird but once you realy lay into it, it sound good. It is ALOT louder then I thought it was going to be.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's why I wrapped mine - I didn't like that tinny sound, I kept thinking I had a leak as well.

Wrapping + Silicon sealer did it, now all I here is that awesome sound behind me when I nail it...

Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
that's why i wrapped mine - i didn't like that tinny sound, i kept thinking i had a leak as well.

Wrapping + silicon sealer did it, now all i here is that awesome sound behind me when i nail it...
its funny that u say that jbrew, i thought i had a leak cause i can kinda hear that tinny sound..huh..guess not

Old 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by boss1984
its funny that u say that jbrew, i thought i had a leak cause i can kinda hear that tinny sound..huh..guess not
Well, I really thought I had a leak I couldn't find for awhile there. I was set on fixing that. I welded every single joint . Put it back together and welded the HF's to the headers - then the exhaust. - I didn't care anymore, I just didn't want the damn thing to leak .. Anywhere! Hell, I would have welded the headers to the heads if I could have at that point - Nah, I knew it wasn't leaking their. Anyway, I did a great job on her, all proud on myself , took her for a spin and the damn thing sounded the same way

Sometime went by before I decided to try the wrap. That's what it took for me. But , using that wrap will eventually rust the headers - moisture WILL get in there no matter what you do. I don't care about that , but others might.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
So you must have a 5.4 4x4 in order to get long tubes then? its been hard to find a pair for a 4.6 2 wheel

Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
NO, there is a member on (shifty85) here that has long tubes for his 4.6 2wd. He is runing pasesetter long tube headers. The only down side is that I dont think anyone makes a Y pipe other then I think OBX. This is why I wanted the daynatech setup, because it was an entire kit and I did not have to get custom made.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can custom fit LTs into a 4.6 2wd, as Shifty did.

Quick Reply: Long tube question