High flow cats or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 07:27 PM
|
High flow cats or not?

Hi everybody,

I've been a longtime "lurker" and finally decided to join in all the fun. In reality, for the first time I actually have a question(s) that I couldn't find an answer to in someone elses posts.
So here goes:
1. Is there anyone out there in california who has replaced their oem cats with high flow cats and has passed a smog check with them?
2. If you have passed a smog with them, what was the set-up you used? 4 into 2 cats? or kept the pre cats and replaced the rear ones with high flows because of the visual part of the smog test? or replaced the pre cats and kept the rear ones?

Not really a performance thing for me but more of a sound thing, although any performace gains would be a bonus. I already have jba headers and a magnaflow catback exhaust and I was just looking for some more sound.

I have read many, many posts about the pro's and con's, the likes and dislikes, the for's and against's, waste or worth it, about high flow cats in several other forums but they all seem to be from people in other states but not too many responses from cali people. So any help from the ball-squeezing emissions state would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:09 PM
best thing to do in california is just leave the cats alone, i dont think theres a hi flow cat that will work in california....

more sound maybe look into flowmasters or dynomax bullets

Old 10-25-2008 | 12:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Hi-flow cats and catalytic converter modification is illegal in California. You will fail the visual on emissions.

Quick Reply: High flow cats or not?