Any intakes not super loud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any intakes not super loud?

I've got the Hypertech tuner programmed in my '08 KR (regular fuel tuning, 118mph tire, +500 rev limit and all shifts, factory shift pressure), and a Magnaflow cat back, installed an AFE intake, the intake didn't fit correctly, had to butcher the heat shield and shorten intake tube slightly, and move a few things around, lame. It makes very nice power, the three mods compliment each other very well, but the intake is stupid noisy. Droning at 60-75mph, I even have vibes through the gas pedal depending on engine load/speed. Down shifting for passing is noisy also.

Does anyone know if an intae that makes power AND is quiet? Thanks in advance eh!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The S&B is quite nice, K&N is decent too, my brothers truck has a FIPK and it acts like stock, no whistles or anything annoying.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
dont get a jlt hahaha

Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Suspended
+1 on the S&B Intake. It still uses a box, so I would assume you will hear very little increase over a stock intake.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
AirAid Modular Intake Tube...

Part number 400-940 I'm running this with a K&N Drop in Filter...

Mr. eXtreme

AirAid modular intake tube, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Line-X'd bed and fender wells, 2.5 Inch AS Level Kit and 3 inch AS Rear Block, 1 Mile range Viper 5900 SST remote start and alarm system, JL Audio Stealthbox, JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 300/4, Alpine Type-R 6.5 inch components in front doors, Alpine Type-R 5x7's in rear doors, Alpine Iva-w505, LOTS of Dynamat, 15% Tinted windows, Billet Grills in factory H-bar and lower bumper.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
Part number 400-940 I'm running this with a K&N Drop in Filter...

Mr. eXtreme

Can you post some pics of your intake system you have? I'm curious. Also, why would one put on an intake expecting it to move more air and expect it to be quieter? Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 AM
AFE Problems ?

Originally Posted by hoseclamp
I've got the Hypertech tuner programmed in my '08 KR (regular fuel tuning, 118mph tire, +500 rev limit and all shifts, factory shift pressure), and a Magnaflow cat back, installed an AFE intake, the intake didn't fit correctly, had to butcher the heat shield and shorten intake tube slightly, and move a few things around, lame. It makes very nice power, the three mods compliment each other very well, but the intake is stupid noisy. Droning at 60-75mph, I even have vibes through the gas pedal depending on engine load/speed. Down shifting for passing is noisy also.

Does anyone know if an intae that makes power AND is quiet? Thanks in advance eh!!

Cheers,

Mike.
Wow I have an AFE stage 2 on my 5.4 and it is not even close to rubbing on anything. Was an EASY install.Try putting on a pre filter to curb noise. I use one on the dirt roads in the mountains and also when I have my wife in the truck as she likes it QUiet. Sometimes I forget to take it off and I don't feel any loss in power with it on. I cant hear the intake at freeway speeds in my truck unless I put my foot into it, with or without the prefilter. Sorry to hear about your problems with the AFE, hope you get it fixed..

Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by shybz
Can you post some pics of your intake system you have? I'm curious. Also, why would one put on an intake expecting it to move more air and expect it to be quieter? Doesn't make sense to me.
I installed this exspecting it to move more air. Which it does...
I did NOT install this exspecting it to be quieter...
The post reads: "Any intakes not super loud?"
This intake is louder then stock but not as loud as most...

Dyno Chart:

Picture Installed:

Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
what does that filter arm tube cost? good places to buy?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by shybz
what does that filter arm tube cost? good places to buy?
Here's the link:
http://www.innerauto.com/browse/make...id+Intake+Tube

You can get it here for 100 bucks with out the filter!!
My K&N a bought after about 6000 miles from Auto Zone for 30 bucks!!

I like it and have been very happy with it!!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
i kinda like the loud intakes haha i like the whistle specialy when i turn it off and you hear the air comin back out

Quick Reply: Any intakes not super loud?