Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008 | 08:02 PM
|
Advice?

I have a 98 f150 with the 5.4l, and im debating on cutting off my converters, all 4 of them, and would like to know if removing them would hurt my engine as far as it needing back pressure and would it improve sound quality, as well as exhaust flow. thanks

Old 11-11-2008 | 01:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
It will be loud, but shouldn't hurt the engine as long as you have a full exhaust ( muffler(s) ending with tailpipes ) so the valves dont get ruined by cold and heat quickly.

Old 11-12-2008 | 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
It will be loud, but shouldn't hurt the engine as long as you have a full exhaust ( muffler(s) ending with tailpipes ) so the valves dont get ruined by cold and heat quickly.
x2, as a former non cat having person let me be the first to tell you that that son of a gun will be loud even with the quietest muffler on the shelf, but when i put my 94106 magnaflow converters on there it made a world of difference, didnt quieten it down to much, and its still loud as heck,

runs alot better too and my fuel milage went up a little

Old 11-19-2008 | 09:15 PM
|
thankya

hey thanks for the help. i really want it to improve flow, and keep from hurting my valves and heads. im only 18 but im taking automotive classes and im wanting to get in to a school where i can be a certified ASE tech. for Ford Motor Co. but thanks again guys, OH one more question...what do i do about my O2 sensors?

Old 11-19-2008 | 10:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Ethan09
hey thanks for the help. i really want it to improve flow, and keep from hurting my valves and heads. im only 18 but im taking automotive classes and im wanting to get in to a school where i can be a certified ASE tech. for Ford Motor Co. but thanks again guys, OH one more question...what do i do about my O2 sensors?
Sounds like a plan. O2 sims will be needed for the rears.

Old 11-20-2008 | 12:30 AM
I cut my cats off years ago. Over 100,000 miles ago. Let me begin by saying don't do it. You will regret it. Yes it will be louder, possibly a tiny bit faster, but the negative outweighs the good.

The truck will be louder, outside and especially in the cab. Since you don't have the cats to tone down your exhaust, the explosions will ring in your pipes. It is annoying. If you like that, then go ahead, but I hate it. It will ring like a V-10 f-250 does when you get on the gas.

Old 11-20-2008 | 12:40 AM
I cut my cats off years ago. Around 100,000 miles ago. It doesn't hurt the truck in the least. It is louder. Don't do it

Yes it's louder on the outside, but it's louder inside too. Since the cats don't muffle the exhaust, you will get a slight headder ring under heavy load, along with a low grumble under all conditions. It will ring just like a V-10 F-250. If you like that, ok, but I hate it.

You won't see a MPG increase, and you won't see a noticable power increase.

You won't believe how bad your exhaust will smell. It will smell like a 70's drag car. The smell of raw fuel and burning oil will follow you wherever you go. You'll learn to use MAX A/C in the winter just to keep the smell out!

You WILL get a CEL when you cut them off. NO it DOES NOT HURT ANYTHING!! It is the onboard emmissions testing equipment telling you that your cats aren't functioning. It doesn't change anything with the computer, but you will get SICK AND TIRED of looking at that bright orange light on your dash. Go buy a set of mil eliminators... This guy sold me mine: Thebestmileliminators@hotmail.com He used to have an E-bay store. Send him a message, and he'll hook you up. He's a very nice guy. Be sure to get the 2 wire kind. If this guy doesn't sell them anymore, just google mil eliminators. They are a simple r/c circuit, easy to make, and they have been working on my truck for years. Should be under $15 to buy a set.

Any more questions, just tell me. I'll help you if I can. I say don't do it, but you can if you want. You won't be impressed with performance. But it will be noisier.

Last edited by chester8420; 11-20-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2008 | 01:53 PM
|
thanks

hey thanks. i def. don't want to hear the ringing or the awful smell. oh by the way is that picture of the turquoise truck pullin a trac-hoe real??

Quick Reply: Advice?