Will this be too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 09:51 AM
|
Will this be too loud?

First off, my truck is an 04 (new body style) with 5.4, 5.5'bed, and 4x4.
I want a cheap way out of getting a good sounding exhaust and have considered this. Comiing off the cat, with 3", then going into a super 44 or a comporable Magnaflow, then dumping it out of the muffler with 3" down turn....

Is that immediate dump off the muffler going to make it too loud? Should I run a little pipe out of muffler b4 i dump it?

I honestly would like the same system with a dual 2.5 outlets and coming out the side like the lightning (I know that many ppl dont like that look, but I do)
I am just worried about the extra money of two pipes coming off muffler, and 2 12" stainless tips to buy.

What size is my stock pipe coming off the cats? Is it 2.5? If so, I would just need a 2.5" to 3" converter pipe right?

Thanks a lot guys, Im learnign a lot on here.

(which maggie pipe is comporable in sound to the 44? I have had 8 mustangs all with flowmaster and really love that sound, but I wouldnt mind the Magnaflow quality if it sounds similar (loud and tone)

Old 11-11-2008 | 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
That would only be a slight hint louder outside than if it had as tailpipe and tip, would sound as good as a tailpipe imo, and it would be much louder inside than with a tailpipe. Whenever you dump a muffler, there needs to be atleast 6" of pipe(s) after the outlet(s).

Yes your stock size is 2.5". Have an exhaust shop fabricate your Y a little, chop the original Y, and have the shop bend you a 2.5" joint with a 3" outlet.

Super 44 would definitely be the louder muffler to go with, that is until the Magnaflow breaks in. Have a listen at my exhaust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuVgBGVpVQ

and heres a dumped Super 44 system, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVtPOyda2uc

My 11" body Magnaflows are as equally loud as Flowmasters, so the 11" body would be the equivalent.

Old 11-11-2008 | 03:08 PM
|
Hey Darree,
Thanks for the post. I guess it makes sense that if i just dump it, it would increase interior noise and I do not want that with 2 small babies and wife who thinks that modifications are a waste of money....
I guess I will have to run them out somewhere.
Can you or anyone be more specific, hopefully with a picture, of how to actually modify the stock Y pipe? I dont want to get ot a garage and them not know what i mean.
I can actually do what you did and eliminate the back cats if you think that makes a difference. Again, Id like a few pics to show the shop how you did that and what size pipe and connectors you used....thanks all again.

Old 11-11-2008 | 05:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by racefan15
Hey Darree,
Thanks for the post. I guess it makes sense that if i just dump it, it would increase interior noise and I do not want that with 2 small babies and wife who thinks that modifications are a waste of money....
I guess I will have to run them out somewhere.
Can you or anyone be more specific, hopefully with a picture, of how to actually modify the stock Y pipe? I dont want to get ot a garage and them not know what i mean.
I can actually do what you did and eliminate the back cats if you think that makes a difference. Again, Id like a few pics to show the shop how you did that and what size pipe and connectors you used....thanks all again.
I hear ya. Well its simple, any shop should be able to make a Y pipe with a 3" outlet for the intermediate pipe, if not, Having them fab a 3" adapter should do well. Are you talking about running a single exhaust? Or do you want dual outlets? 3" intermediate pipe with 2.5" tailpipes will be perfect with whatever muffler choice you go with.

If you remove your rear converters, make sure you do not have emissions, and make sure you can still pass an inspection with only 2 cats.

Here are some photos of my exhaust, its true dualed, so its not exactly what you wanna do, but it gives you an idea.

Rear converter delete

Exhaust

Tips & tailpipes

Old 11-11-2008 | 05:08 PM
I went with the flowmaster Force II single tailpipe....I LOVE IT...not to much, but has a good rumble to it. $300 delieverd from Summitracing.com. The install was simple.

Quick Reply: Will this be too loud?