exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 04:58 PM
|
Exclamation exhaust question

was just wondering would like to just unbolt factory muffler use back section of factory exhaust pipe and add pipe up front of the 18" magna si\so is this possible are there pipes already formed to fit just looking for the easiest install any info on this or where to purchase formed to fit pipe or is it cheaper just to go to a muffler shop

Old 11-18-2008 | 05:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Its a difficult job removing the pipe connected to the muffler to the rest of the intermediate pipe, it would be easier to take it to the shop and let them do it, but it will cost ya about $50 - $80 for the work, so its not cheaper per say. The muffler will be about $80 - $90, you will need an off set inlet & outlet, and 14"s of extra pipe, 4 clamps, and make sure its all 2.5", you could have a successful job.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:55 PM
|
Thumbs up Few more questions

SAY DARREN I FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE ACCESS TO A MIG AND TIG WELDER SO I WILL PROBARBLY BE WELDING THIS SYSTEM UP SO MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT I NEED AN 18" WITH OFFSET IN & OUT WITH 14" OF PIPE WILL IT HAVE TO BENT TO FIT OR WILL IT LINE UP STRAIGHT I'M READY TO TACKLE THIS JOB JUST DON'T WANT TO END UP AT A MUFFLER SHOP AT THE END I'M A DIY KINDA GUY! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE & SUGGESTIONS DAMN I JUST NOTICED I TYPED IN ALL CAPS MY BAT!!!!!

Old 11-18-2008 | 09:22 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by CANTUKID
SAY DARREN I FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE ACCESS TO A MIG AND TIG WELDER SO I WILL PROBARBLY BE WELDING THIS SYSTEM UP SO MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT I NEED AN 18" WITH OFFSET IN & OUT WITH 14" OF PIPE WILL IT HAVE TO BENT TO FIT OR WILL IT LINE UP STRAIGHT I'M READY TO TACKLE THIS JOB JUST DON'T WANT TO END UP AT A MUFFLER SHOP AT THE END I'M A DIY KINDA GUY! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE & SUGGESTIONS DAMN I JUST NOTICED I TYPED IN ALL CAPS MY BAT!!!!!
No problem. Alright sounds pretty good. Get like a 16" piece if possible, that way you can slip fit the pipe into the muffler, and the muffler over the OEM pipe, and cut off any access, and weld it to the tip, or band clamp it right up. The OEM muffler is a massive 32"s, you'll notice your bed rise once that suckers out lol.

Old 11-22-2008 | 02:14 PM
|
Talking

DARREN I read you recommend the 18 inch magnaflow to alot of people but i'm wondering if the 22 inch would be better I personally can't stand drone but i love the sound of a v8 i tow about 6 times per year just worried they'll be drone under load that wouldn't make for a good trip i'm looking for cool sound in idle only loud during wot would this suite me better or be the same as stock getting ready to pull the trigger just want to make sure i'm not towing with ear plugs thanks for all your info

Old 11-22-2008 | 02:41 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by CANTUKID
DARREN I read you recommend the 18 inch magnaflow to alot of people but i'm wondering if the 22 inch would be better I personally can't stand drone but i love the sound of a v8 i tow about 6 times per year just worried they'll be drone under load that wouldn't make for a good trip i'm looking for cool sound in idle only loud during wot would this suite me better or be the same as stock getting ready to pull the trigger just want to make sure i'm not towing with ear plugs thanks for all your info
Well the 18" Magnaflow will be pretty calm, it will be heard outside under acceleration, and load, hardly heard inside. I think the 18" would be quite well for your preferences.

Quick Reply: exhaust question