Best way to find an exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 12:53 PM
|
Best way to find an exhaust leak

I got maggie high flows and a bullet muffler put on my truck a while ago and there is an exhaust leak some where, but i cant pin point it to get it fixed. The hard part it some times it's there and some times its not, like it hasting been leaking much since its been really cold out, but when it warms up it makes my truck sound like white trash coming down the road, but other times it has a completely different exhaust note w/o the leak, weird i know but it does it and sounds different at times( not just rpms either). Any good ways of finding leaks w/o taking the exhaust off sealing it and putting it under water?

Old 12-12-2008 | 02:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Run it idled while warm, take a napkin or something ( or your hand but dont touch the pipe ) and feel for the air leak, or watch for the napkin to blow.

Old 12-12-2008 | 04:20 PM
Take a squirt bottle and fill it with soapy water then spray it where you think there's a leak while it's idling. If it bubbles up, you've found your leak. Just be sure to clean it all off when you're done though.

Old 12-12-2008 | 05:04 PM
have someone take a couple old rags and hold them up to the tail pipe(s) as you listen around for the leak. thats what most MD inspectors do to test for a leak.

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:18 PM
Seafoam! haha smoke out that leak...it works and puts on a show

Quick Reply: Best way to find an exhaust leak