Should I do aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I do aftermarket exhaust?

I finallly got a truck, and it's awesome. I want a better sound, so I'm thinking about an aftermarket exhaust. Would it be worth it with my V6 standard? It's only single right now, do they convert them to dual exhaust? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive heard some v6's sound really good. you can go to a muffler shop and they can make it duals.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally wouldn't put an exhaust on a V6.. I hate V6 sounds.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I personally wouldn't put an exhaust on a V6.. I hate V6 sounds.
agreed but i have heard a bad *** v6 exhaust, it was turbo charged 6, it had dual MAC exhaust, at high rpms it sounded like a six but it was a deep sounding exhaust, but other than that i would nvr do an exhaust on a v6

Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
A V6 is really hard to get a nice throaty rumble out of...although I have seen it done before on a few 4.3L Generic Motors trucks. Most of em wind up sounding like PO'd bumblebees though.

Never heard a 4.2L Ford sound good after new pipes...to my ears anyway. But that doesn't mean that it can't be done. I don't have a working recipe to suggest though other than keep the pipes small so you don't lose all your exhaust velocity. That will hurt your performance.

On one of my old Buick Regals (A RWD G-body with a built 4.1L), I had a set of crossover headers and true dual 1.75" pipes with 5x8 Maggies. The header was a real nightmare to install & remove, but it sounded really sweet for a 6. That exhaust was good for about .2sec in the 1/4-mile compared to the stock single 2.5" too.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
?

Originally Posted by Bindernut
A V6 is really hard to get a nice throaty rumble out of...although I have seen it done before on a few 4.3L Generic Motors trucks. Most of em wind up sounding like PO'd bumblebees though.

Never heard a 4.2L Ford sound good after new pipes...to my ears anyway. But that doesn't mean that it can't be done. I don't have a working recipe to suggest though other than keep the pipes small so you don't lose all your exhaust velocity. That will hurt your performance.

On one of my old Buick Regals (A RWD G-body with a built 4.1L), I had a set of crossover headers and true dual 1.75" pipes with 5x8 Maggies. The header was a real nightmare to install & remove, but it sounded really sweet for a 6. That exhaust was good for about .2sec in the 1/4-mile compared to the stock single 2.5" too.
ahh the buick 4.1
i put a 4" single exhaust on my 89 pontiac tta trans am, with a 3.5" down pipe-now that was a bitch to put on,

Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
ahh the buick 4.1

Yep, 4.1L...the big brother to the 3.8. 252cid instead of 231. Not to be confused with the POS 4.1L Caddy V8. Same block as the 231, just bigger pistons. Was only used in the LeSabre/Electra big RWD platform for a few years early-80s but it drops right in place of a 3.8 with a flex-plate swap. Helps make more of a "square" engine for racing...and when you're dealig with tiny cubic inches every little bit helps!
Don't tell anyone though...I want to pack-rat a few more for my IH truck whenever it finally gets finished.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
the only v6 that sounds good IMO is the VQ35DE in my wifes g35 coupe.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 PM
?

Originally Posted by gixxer
the only v6 that sounds good IMO is the VQ35DE in my wifes g35 coupe.
you should hear the exhaust note in my 89 20th anniversarry v6 pontiac ta when i blast through the 1/4 mile traps @11.00@121mph

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh man...I must apologize for the thread hijack for I fear I started all this Buick garbage on a Ford forum!

You got any pix of that 20th openclasspro?
That would be the one Gen3 Firebird I wouldn't mind owning! The 250hp GNX 3.8L in a scrawny little F-body...wheeeeee!!!
Did you do any oil system mods to the lower end of the 3.8 to keep things from wiping out at high-rpm?
(If you haven't wiped out at least one Buick V6 crank at the strip then you weren't pushing it hard enough! )

Hmmm....sounds like the original poster is another poor broke kid like I was at one time. But...he could still start dreaming about dropping a turbo setup on that 4.2L. Okay, maybe a supercharger would work too. Now that'd make for a sweet 6-banger sound!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I have this kit on a V6. It has a nice low, deep rumble.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Bindernut
Oh man...I must apologize for the thread hijack for I fear I started all this Buick garbage on a Ford forum!

You got any pix of that 20th openclasspro?
That would be the one Gen3 Firebird I wouldn't mind owning! The 250hp GNX 3.8L in a scrawny little F-body...wheeeeee!!!
Did you do any oil system mods to the lower end of the 3.8 to keep things from wiping out at high-rpm?
(If you haven't wiped out at least one Buick V6 crank at the strip then you weren't pushing it hard enough! )

Hmmm....sounds like the original poster is another poor broke kid like I was at one time. But...he could still start dreaming about dropping a turbo setup on that 4.2L. Okay, maybe a supercharger would work too. Now that'd make for a sweet 6-banger sound!
i'll have to dig them up,i bought it brand new in '89,has 4,700 miles on the clock,everything i did to it was bolt on so i can put it back to stock at anytime,actually was rated at 255 hp, severely underated so it didn't put out higher numbers than the vette in 89,bone stock, laid down 317rwhp, the heads were even better than the gnx ones,when i ran it to 11.0 times , that was on the stock goodyear gatorbacks, had to finnesse the launch,lol,i installed a te 72 turbo, 4" exhaust, 3 & 1/2" downpipe, larger injectors, 2 extra injectors in intake tube, cai,custom burnt red armstrong chip, with slicks i know it would be in the mid 10's.i moved to fla in 93 from pa ,moved back to pa in 01.the car is still sitting in my buddy's mom's garage.in 02, i took it out for a spin on the sawgrass expressway,conveniently there was a brand new viper that pulls up beside me ,was junior in daddy's new toy, need less to say, i edged up ahead of him to let him see my tag ,1BADV6,we were doing aboout 80-90, he gave the signal to go, once that te 72 spooled, i walked him to redline in od.when it turned 1k miles, took it moroso in west palm beach,turned 13.04@104 bone stock,car definetely ****s and gets

Quick Reply: Should I do aftermarket exhaust?