New Truck... MODS???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck... MODS???

Hey, I just bought my 2008 FX2 last week and I want to do some preformance mods. I am very new to this so talk to me like im 8. I am looking to increase my HP, torque and fuel economy and I know the most basic and cheapest stuff is exhaust, intake [headers? dunno]. I would like the exhaust to sound good and deep, but not to loud inside the cab and i want it to be dual out the back. I have no idea what to get. And i have no idea where to even begin looking for intake. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Congrats on your truck,I also have a 2008 FX2.Do you have a cc or sc & 4.6 or 5.4 & what options do you have.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
how much are you willing to spend

Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the site! As for performance tips, we need more info about your truck.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Headers will be the most expensive thing for your truck. A simple cat-back exhaust system, a cold air intake system, and a custom programmer will net you a good amount of power (4.6 or 5.4).

For the muffler, it sounds like you would probably like a 18 inch Single In Dual Out (SIDO) Magnaflow muffler. You can buy one of these on Performancepeddler.com along with the tips you want. Just take these parts to a good quality exhaust shop, not Midas, and tell them what you want. You will want to have them make some smooth bent pipes, crimp/crush bent pipes are a major no-no.

The cold air intake (CAI) is a cheap way to improve your MPG's and gain a few horses, but won't be taken fully advantage of until you get the custom tuning. Also, if you have the 5.4, you run the risk of running lean with a CAI and no tunes. So get them both together or the tunes first. As for the manufacture, go with either S&B, K&N, or Air Force One. The S&B is the cheapest ($269+) and is the 2nd best performing CAI. The K&N is more expensive and doesn't perform as well as the S&B, but looks better to many members. The AF1 is the most expensive and the best performing CAI. I don't know the exact numbers of each.

As for tuning, give Power Hungry Performance a call (google them) and give them the specs of your truck and what you are planning to do. They'll hook you right up with a really nice dash mounted programmer for the ultra low price of $450.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 AM
dont forget gears they wont give horsepower but they will help out alot so ive heard

Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I've got the FX2 Sport. It has the 5.4 in it. So, by what you guys are saying, I should get magnaflow exhaust, S&B intake and a tuner? What do you guys think about electric fans? I saw some people talking about them in another fourm, is that worth the money?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally have no experience with them but everyone praises them. They look like they require a lot of work but free up about 10 horsepower.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by OrdiNance
I've got the FX2 Sport. It has the 5.4 in it. So, by what you guys are saying, I should get magnaflow exhaust, S&B intake and a tuner? What do you guys think about electric fans? I saw some people talking about them in another fourm, is that worth the money?
I have electric fans & very asy to install + notice the free up power too.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by OrdiNance
Get a CAI with a dry filter. Dual exhaust is pointless because you lose exhaust velocity and in turn power. Get a straight through muffler and have it welded in. You don't need electric fans, but if you want to spend the money on them go right ahead. Remember to do all of your maintenance first since you bought a used truck. Gears will help alot, but they also cost a lot. What size tires do you have? Will you be getting larger or smaller ones?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by corycham
What programmer and chip combo does he need?
Haha. Custom tune dude.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

When I got my truck, I started with a basic, the muffler. 40 series Flowmaster on a 07 F150, 5.4L 3V V8 4x4 supercrew. It is loud, can be heard from up the street before I'm even seen, not comfortable to have on long road trips due to volume, but it sounds impressive in the city. Long after that I got my K&N, spent a lot on it but it looks cool and it sounds awesome. From the cab it sounds like the exhaust of a 350Z. I didn't see an increase of mpg at all, but my acceleration did increase. A day after that I got my Edge programmer, I must say it's the best programmer because you can mount it on the dash and it shows you some vehicle stats while you're driving. With just those three mods on 91 octane fuel, my 0-60 increased by 2.11 seconds. She's still a slow beast, but she's getting quicker

Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
custom tune > Edge

Quick Reply: New Truck... MODS???