Need an idea for my leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Need an idea for my leaks

i have a homemade exhaust that leaks where the resonators are "band clamped" to my mid section of my exhaust. i believe part of this is my craftsmanship was below par but the major factor is the torque from the engine is much more substantial and the exhaust moves a lot more. but the drivers side could've been designed better, i need another 1/4" of material on the North end if i may call it that.

Requirements: 100% Stainless, i hate crap rusting too soon. that and i can make sanitary welds if i want to make it purdy.

Current design.

OBX LT & Resonator, Band clamped to a 45* with a 6" straight to a 45*, then the drivers side wraps under the tailhousing of the t-case. Both then run side by side to a home made H pipe which is split, and band clamped together (no leaks detected here, but considering a gasket material to keep the possibility away?) 3" after that i have band clamps to each muffler, leakage here is minimal also.

one current idea was to find a thin but durable gasket material to seal up. the other idea i had was to find the shortest piece of SS flex and put it between the 45*'s to reduce flex on the band clamps with gaskets.

Last edited by Klitch; 01-19-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just get it all welded?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
ruled that out becuase i hate cutting and welding exhaust, and i've had my tranny out 3x in the a couple month period. the t-case is next in line, its not the healthiest. basically for ease of removal of the tranny/t-case

Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres some stuff you can buy at autozone or orilleys you put it on and let it set and its SUPPOSE to set up nice and hard and stop the leaks ive got a few leaks that ive been wantin to try this on cuz i dont have the time to go to a shop and get it welded

Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 AM
whats this called? sounds like i could spread a small layer of it under the clamp if its removable.

i dont want to weld, i like being able to drop my exhaust out of the way relatively easily without cutting anything. it makes life easier when working on my tranny or t-case.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gotcha, uhhh i think its called something like exhaust repair paste or exhaut repair kit, if you go into a parts store and go by all the exhaust stuff it should be there

Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
i have new improved idea! i could possibly utilize some "scrap" from work, theres a pile of 2.5 in tubing i could get a couple of ferrules off of.

and i could piece together a couple of tri-clamps for it. like this, but only replace the wing nut with a poly lock since i know those are notorious for backing off inconveniently.

all with a teflon base gasket good to 450 deg according to the book

then some short ss flex behind it somewhere.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

With the power your truck is making I would be looking into getting a couple short chunks of the flex pipe. Also repair/replace the where it is leaking. The flex should be a must. I haven't had problems with my OBX long tubes leaking as of yet. Maybe try tightening some of the connections down. I had to re torque a few times on mine but they have been good for 6 months now.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
ah i havent found any leaks ahead of the "mid section" i fab'd, fortunately its not a weld thats leaking its my band clamps that wont seal a slightly uneven surface.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-x...3A1|240%3A1318

anyone think this is too short to provide any flex? 4" long.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

that would likely work well for your needs and reduce a lot of strain on your exhaust system but I also see that thing failing fast because it will have a lot of stress placed on it especially only being 4 inches long. I would expect it to fail rather quickly. I would say for $26 it may be worth a shot though.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 AM
ahh an unknown, how much does it move... i'll have to find out. maybe i can find a spot for a 6". i never thought of how much the 4 " moving would make it fail. the probe has an oem one like 8 " long, that might be a clue to me.

so whats this "interlock" at the end of the description, i seen interlock and inner braiding.

Last edited by Klitch; 03-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
hey klitch how do your mufflers sound? i dont think you ever posted a video.... if you did i missed it.

i just redid my exhuast necked it down to 2 1/2" after the collectors and put my old superturbos on.....there sooo quite!!! im going to get either 2 dynomax ultra flow SS or welded. or maybe even make my own one. then its gonna Y pipe after so i have 2 pipes after the muffler on each side then its gonna 45 out before the rear tires like lightning tips on both sides!

PS i think autozone or those placese have stuff called muffler mud. used it on my brothers saturn the exhuast pipe was splitting in half right before the muffler filled it all in and it sealed it!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
i havent had time to actually do anything to my exhaust yet, every time i get the chance to do anything i spend time on the probe trying to get it back on the road. for some reason its even harder to get shop time now.

now i cant decide on 2.5 x 4 or 6" and what interlock vs inner braiding and 3 ply braiding means for flex.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...home-made.html

started my mufflers while i wait for 6" long flex pipes in the mail. ran out of wire so i only got one muffler mostly completed. but you can get an idea the process i went through and the semi finished product.

Quick Reply: Need an idea for my leaks