Exhaust manifold poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The King
My 03 5.4 only has 37,000 on it, but I have a feeling that it's not about mileage, but time. Do you guys think I should pull them while I still can and replace them with headers or wait and see?

Bob
If ya want to wait till they rust off,,that's up to you.Eventually,,,they will!
Doing headers before it happens is not a bad idea. It will make the job a lot easier.
The most important thing is to spend the extra money on a good set of stainless steal locking header bolts!

Phil

Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers

Thanks,
I needed a good excuse to buy headers.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
05 5.4 3v. The bolts didn't break off. The passenger side manifold gasket went bad. At 40,000 miles that should not happen.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
2 right side and 1 left side bolts broke. pointless purchasing new mans.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I have noticed mine look horriable. How tough is it to change to headers? I have an 05 FX4. I have looked, and i can't a way to change thru the wheel well. What would labor on something like this cost?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
ya i got an 03 F 150 4.6 and i got the passenger side manifold leaking too. its makin a real loud ticking noise now whenever i accelarate and when i first start up the engine. i got about 57000 on it and the ford dealership told me that that is a pretty regular problem that occurs with these engines.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I have the same 4.6 in my 2000 F150. I got 100k miles on it, I leave in canada, and we got salt covered road. I going to be doing my manifolds now. The ticking sound is too much right. I thought About doing headers, and after all the research this is what I found, and the reasons why I doing it the way I am.

First, no ones seems to think the shorty headers give noticable power gains. And some believe that shorties cost you a little bit of tourqe.

Now if you go headers, you going to have to go stainless, otherwise they will rot just as fast as the manifolds.

If you want power gains you need Long tube headers, and the same with them, unless they are stainless they will rot to. Also headers, create a lot of heat, and you should have them ceramic coated. Stainless ceramic coated headers, $$$$$. Some people will tell you you can wrap the headers to keep the heat away, but that is not smart on a daily driven pickup, The wrapps will hold moisture and rot the headers.

For me. Stainless shorties, are not worth the money cause you not getting any power gains. Long tubes headers, will require mods to you cats for it to fit. Which will cost even more.

My sister lives in Kentucky. going to get a set of dorman manifolds for $150 they are a little better then the OEM's, but not great. And the don't make stainless manifolds. Otherwise I have to spend $500-$750 for proper stainlesslong tube headers,

For $150, I can change them every three years if need be.

Ideally, if I had $3000 Stainless long tube headers ceramic coated. Two High flow stainless cats from Magna flow, and a 3 inche manderel bent cat back exhasut, and and stainless piping to complete the system. Unfortunately $$$ dictates a lot.

So $150 for in manifolds, and stop the ticking sound, and my trucks runs proper. SOLD>

Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
You could get the $150 Dorman manifolds ceramic coated and they should out last your truck. I haven't had any headers coated in a while but about 10 years ago I think it was $250 Canadian. So if the cost has not gone up too much you could have them for less than the price of stainless shorties.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Hey Jim,
my mufflers are starting to rust,,ya think they'll have a TSB or a recall?

Phil
Since I'm new to the forum, are you always this douchy? I am a noob and all with no mechanical experience whatsoever you should feel as if you're above me in all respects. Nevermind we have seven of these F-270 SD and all of them exhibit the same problems, at about the same mileage. Nevermind I asked for and received the replies I expected from all but one poster. One phil6608. Just wondering if that's what I should expect from you or do you have sand in your mangina? and your lol makes your attempt at levity so much less. Lol! Lol! Lol!

As always,:
Have a nice day!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Exactly my thoughts! When we changed ours to the Gibsons, I about shat when I saw the price. However, the warranty and ceramic long-tube headers with no cats and a better flowing exhaust have upped our fuel mileafge and hp. For a fleet truck, this is a long term investment that will pay off within two years. We are shooting for 200k before we sell them and 4 out of the fleet are well on their way. Other than the manifolds and some minor issues they are performing quite well.

Originally Posted by JoryWLU
I have the same 4.6 in my 2000 F150. I got 100k miles on it, I leave in canada, and we got salt covered road. I going to be doing my manifolds now. The ticking sound is too much right. I thought About doing headers, and after all the research this is what I found, and the reasons why I doing it the way I am.

First, no ones seems to think the shorty headers give noticable power gains. And some believe that shorties cost you a little bit of tourqe.

Now if you go headers, you going to have to go stainless, otherwise they will rot just as fast as the manifolds.

If you want power gains you need Long tube headers, and the same with them, unless they are stainless they will rot to. Also headers, create a lot of heat, and you should have them ceramic coated. Stainless ceramic coated headers, $$$$$. Some people will tell you you can wrap the headers to keep the heat away, but that is not smart on a daily driven pickup, The wrapps will hold moisture and rot the headers.

For me. Stainless shorties, are not worth the money cause you not getting any power gains. Long tubes headers, will require mods to you cats for it to fit. Which will cost even more.

My sister lives in Kentucky. going to get a set of dorman manifolds for $150 they are a little better then the OEM's, but not great. And the don't make stainless manifolds. Otherwise I have to spend $500-$750 for proper stainlesslong tube headers,

For $150, I can change them every three years if need be.

Ideally, if I had $3000 Stainless long tube headers ceramic coated. Two High flow stainless cats from Magna flow, and a 3 inche manderel bent cat back exhasut, and and stainless piping to complete the system. Unfortunately $$$ dictates a lot.

So $150 for in manifolds, and stop the ticking sound, and my trucks runs proper. SOLD>

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by rainoneinc
Since I'm new to the forum, are you always this douchy? I am a noob and all with no mechanical experience whatsoever you should feel as if you're above me in all respects. Nevermind we have seven of these F-270 SD and all of them exhibit the same problems, at about the same mileage. Nevermind I asked for and received the replies I expected from all but one poster. One phil6608. Just wondering if that's what I should expect from you or do you have sand in your mangina? and your lol makes your attempt at levity so much less. Lol! Lol! Lol!

As always,:
Have a nice day!
Obviously the new guy has no sense of humor whatsoever!
I understand this is a bigger problem for you then it is for most,,,having to deal with 7 trucks. But the simple fact remains,,steel will Rust! Especially if it's in a aluminum head.
This problem has been around ever since Ford put aluminum heads on the modular motor!
Will there be a recall???No way! They never recalled the blown out spark plug problem(Wait till your dealing with that one) and how many trucks had to burn to the ground before they ever recalled the cruise control switch problem?
You have as much chance of getting a recall as I do for my muffler!

And as for your childish attempt at name calling,,,your just making yourself look bad!

Phil

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by rainoneinc

As always,:
Have a nice day!
he is being sarcastic because when it comes to vehicles if the only problem you're having is rusted up manifolds then consider yourself lucky. Its not like your burning through trannies every 50k at $2000+ a piece.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
At least you Gotts it Gotts2! I dunno, maybe I needed to go east on Phil. Obviously he's heard a reply like mine before. Whatever right?!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 AM
i agree...the manifold thing thing is an annoyance but its not not like trannys and motors are dying at 50k. buddy i work withn has a 08 frontier abd its been back to the dealer 5 times for various problems. my truck..no problems at all and i do all thr plowing and heavy hauling for our company. i told him to buy an f 150 but.. lol

Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I just hit 100K and I have the exhaust leak as well. I have at least one manifold bolt broken off from each side. I didn't know that this was common until I saw this thread. I had a 97 F-150 4.6L hit 120K with no problems and this was in KY with all the rain and snow. I now have a 99 5.4L in her in CA that is sheading manifold bolts like dog hair. So what is the best bet with this? New Bolts? New Bolts + Manifolds? New-Bolts+Headers? New 2009 F-150?

Are you SURE there will be no Recall Phil???

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold poll