Any one have an MBRP exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repieces
I just ordered my system today and it's being delivered this Friday. It's a xp series dual split rear exit and from what I've read, the hardest part is getting out the stock junker. Do you need any special tools to install one of these things, or do you just need simple hand tools? And do you need to raise the truck any in order to get the old system out and put the new one in, or can you just leave it on all 4 tires? Thanks.
Well from my experience... removing the stocker was easy. Lining up the duals will drive you insane. Ive got some pics to post but the little lady has the camera and I just about have to pry it out of her hands in order to use it.

All I did to remove the stocker was soak the bolts with break away. Spray the donuts with the same and drop the spare tire to the ground. No need to jack up the vehicle.

There is a small clip on the hanger just past the muffler that you will have to remove... then have someone go to the rear and have them pull out and hold while you are under the truck and pushing the whole thing rearward just far enough so it doesnt come out of the donuts. Then remove the Mid pipe. Then continue to push the complete exhaust rearward until it comes out of the donuts. Now both of you will have to turn the exhaust towards the drivers side enough that it will then slide over the axle and pull it towards the front of the truck and its out in one piece. No need to cut.

I have yet to get the duals to looks even.. Pain in the **** if you ask me.
Still deciding if im gonna like the MBRP sound.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 PM
While I didn't like how quiet mine was in the beginning I have since come around, mostly, to the sound of it. Still wish it was louder but it has a good mellow sound. Managed to have my wife drive by me today and it sounded really good.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
I have yet to get the duals to looks even.. Pain in the **** if you ask me.
Still deciding if im gonna like the MBRP sound.
Mine aren't even either, drives me crazy. Total pain in the butt

Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tips not being aligned perfectly is what finally drove me to a SI/SO exhaust instead of a SI/DO. I can't stand for the tips to not be perfect.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
glad to know im not the only one that is **** over how they dont line up correctly.
Even was on the phone with support, but that only gets you so far..."loosen it up and readjust" ....

Heres some pictures...

Last edited by FX4Screwdude; 06-25-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, I finally got around to installing mine SI/DO today.....BUT there's more to the story. It took me about 3 hours to get the factory system out and install the new system. That was the easiest part of the evening. The hardest part......well, as most of you already know was trying to get the stinkin pipes to line up. My roommate and I spent 2 hours trying to loosen, adjust, tighten, hold, yada yada yada, and we finally got it looking good. Both pipes were sitting the same distance from the rear bumper and the center of the hitch.

Everything looked good and so we decided to pick up the tools and take her for a ride (this is the funny part) to see how she sounded and to see if the pipes would stay put after hitting a couple of bumps and what not. Well, after making it about a mile from the house, I made a left turn and hit a pot-hole after hammering down on the throttle. It wasn't much of a bump, but the next sound I heard was ting ting ting. It sure as hell didn't sound right, so we pulled over to check if I lost something.....and sure enough, the last pipe section on the drivers side came loose and went skidding on the pavement. We found the missing pipe laying down in the middle of the road and threw it in the back of the truck and headed back home.

So anyhow, I have one rear pipe right now and will be trying to put this crap back together tomorrow after work. But judging by start up and the short ride that we had, it sounds pretty good....just couldn't give it a real test. One thing I have noticed (besided the sound) is a funky smell around the truck. Almost smells like rubber or something. I checked the spare tire and the brake lines since these were the only things close to the exhaust and they were fine. Is this a new smell or something burning off of the exhaust? Or would it be something else? I'll let y'all know how everything goes tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Yeah that smell, it caught me off guard too should go away quickly after you do a 10 mile highway trip trying to see if you like the highway tone. Well, that is when it stopped for me. Sorry about your luck. Mess the pipe up badly?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Sorry double post. Damn mobile blackberry

Last edited by mixedbreed; 06-29-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Nah, the pipe is fine. Just a few scrapes here and there. The tip was scraped a little, but not enough for me to worry about it. I'm just more worried about trying to get the pipes to line up and them staying there for good!!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah that smell is normal, just burning the coating from the manufacturing. Here is some more pictures of mine, its not perfect but its close.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
06xlt4x4..

Have you got any pictures of the rear of your truck, (like mine) curious as to how it looks compared to mine. Think you said yours wasnt even either...
On another note is the browning color on the muffler normal, Ive got in the center of the muffler an area that is turning brown.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, after tonight I pretty much got everything lined up and centered. It looks good and sounds great! BUT.................after I almost threw my wrench through my back glass, I decided to say F&*^ it and give up on getting the passenger side lined up with the driver side. I got them both lined up in the garage and tightened everything up. We decided to take her for a spin for the second time to see how everything would hold up. The pipe didnt fall out of the bottom of the truck like it did yesterday, but the passenger side pipe dropped down about an inch lower than the driver side.....the driver side pipe stayed put. So, rather than loosening crap and trying to line them up again for two more hours, I decided to use a coat hanger and pull the pipe up closer to the bottom of the bumper. It looks almost dead even with the other pipe right now, and although it's not a permanent fix, it's just gonna have to do for now until I decide I want to F*&^ with this thing again. It sounds great, but my God what a pain in the ***!!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Sounds to me it's a MBRP fab problem then because my passenger side is about an inch lower than the driver side.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
06xlt4x4..

Have you got any pictures of the rear of your truck, (like mine) curious as to how it looks compared to mine. Think you said yours wasnt even either...
On another note is the browning color on the muffler normal, Ive got in the center of the muffler an area that is turning brown.
I can grab pictures. Mine wasn't even at first but after messing with it I got it close. I'll check my muffler too, I haven't looked at it in a while lol

Quick Reply: Any one have an MBRP exhaust?