supper 44 is on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:44 PM
|
supper 44 is on!

Ok, got the magnaflow off and the flowmaster super 44 on. Sounds ALOT better, I think the gas mileage is better, and low end and shifts are much smoother, plus when towing/highway driving the flowmaster has no interior resonance at all, the magnaflow was horrible. To all of you who claim flowmaster has less performance boost then magnaflow as far as mufflers go on a stock truck, I definitely found the opposite.
Now heres my thing. I want to make it louder yet, as I love the sound, but am not getting enough of it.
What is the cheapest/ easiest thing to do to get more/louder sound?

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Ok, got the magnaflow off and the flowmaster super 44 on. Sounds ALOT better, I think the gas mileage is better, and low end and shifts are much smoother, plus when towing/highway driving the flowmaster has no interior resonance at all, the magnaflow was horrible. To all of you who claim flowmaster has less performance boost then magnaflow as far as mufflers go on a stock truck, I definitely found the opposite.
Now heres my thing. I want to make it louder yet, as I love the sound, but am not getting enough of it.
What is the cheapest/ easiest thing to do to get more/louder sound?
I think you'd be the first to say that the Flowmasters had better performance. Baffles take some life away... usually not enough to notice though.

One thing you've gotta consider is the fact that your in NY. The Flowmasters are going to rot out quickly in that environment.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:54 PM
High Flow Cats. They will give you more sound.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:54 PM
What configuration are you running? Single in single out / single in dual out, 3", 2.5" or what? Tips can change the tone and amplification of your exhaust tone also, so what tip/tips are you using? BTW good choice on the Super 44, it sounded great on my 5.4 F250.

Old 05-22-2009 | 10:22 PM
|
I had a magnaflow si/so rear exit kit on my truck. I basically ordered a flowmaster super 44 3" inlet 3"outlet and replaced the magnaflow muffler with the flowmaster. So I now have magnaflows si/so 3" Stainless steel cat-back with a flowmaster super44 muffler.

Last edited by Maxout05; 08-25-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2009 | 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
I had a magnaflow si/so rear exit kit on my truck. I basically ordered a flowmaster super 44 3" inlet 3"outlet and replaced the magnaflow muffler with the flowmaster. So I now have magnaflows si/so 3" Stainless steel cat-back with a flowmaster super44 muffler.

BTW after 1 year the magnaflow kit looks like crap. I know in new york it will rot, my 05 f-150 has rust holes underneath it already. Nothing I can do to stop it.
Well there's a difference between looking like crap and literally rotting out.

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
I agree about the rotting out, my old Tahoe's 50 Series rotted out when I lived in Wisconsin, I just replaced it with a 40 Series when I moved the truck back to Texas for my Mom. Flowmaster does make stainless steel versions of their mufflers, if I already had SS pipe, I'd go with one of those. Down here in no saltville, TX it's a non issue.

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:21 PM
Has anyone ever tried an underbody protective coating to keep their mufflers from rusting?

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:40 PM
i think you'd be the first to say that the flowmasters had better performance.
x2.

Old 05-23-2009 | 12:12 AM
|
I think you'd be the first to say that the Flowmasters had better performance. Baffles take some life away... usually not enough to notice though.
All I know is the truck drives smoother with smoother/quieter shifts. I think I'd say more that the flowmaster fits my stock 2005 fx4 f-150 truck performance better then a magnaflow does. On my truck anyway.
I dont really care about how many people like flowmaster or not, I like it on this truck I know that.

No kidding. Never said they were the same, Never said it was rotted out, I said it looks like crap. Winters with salt on the road or not, theres nothing not rusted to crap on the exhaust except the muffler itself. Though I will say the original truck piping looks better then the magnaflow piping though and it has 40,000 miles on the cat-backs 10,000miles.

I dont know how this thread got turned into which set-u will last, I don't care how long it will last considering I will not own this truck for another two years. I'm not posting a thread on an exhaust that will last long, I expect it to be done completely after one more winter. Here in ny exhausts on anything but motorcycles are a two year tops life span.
I am posting with my feelings on the flowmaster muffler compared to the magnaflow muffler on my personal truck. And asking what the cheapest way to make it louder than it already is.

I have a magnaflow on my ford ranger and its too damn loud, the f-150 I can't get loud enough, niether truck with the magnaflow have been what I was looking for in the sound department and that doesnt mean anything wrong with magnaflow except my personal preference is I DO NOT LIKE THE SOUND THEY MAKE!! How many people on this site work for magnaflow anyway?

SO Back to my topic:
Stock f-150 with 5.4, 3" cat-back with flowmaster super44. Sounds awsome, I want it alittle louder, what is the best way to achieve this?

Last edited by Maxout05; 05-23-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2009 | 12:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Congrats. As for better low end and gas mileage,, thats what your mind is telling you, you actually decreased both minorly, not enough to notice from usual driving. And as for the rust, that Magnaflow had surface rust, that aluminized steel Flowmaster will literally fall out of your truck next winter.

Old 05-23-2009 | 12:46 AM
|
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Congrats. As for better low end and gas mileage,, thats what your mind is telling you, you actually decreased both minorly, not enough to notice from usual driving. And as for the rust, that Magnaflow had surface rust, that aluminized steel Flowmaster will literally fall out of your truck next winter.
Well I dont know if its my mind or not.. done consistent mileage calculations with both exhausts and flowmaster gained 1-2 mpg or so with three fill ups so far. Either way I dont care because this truck has always sucked on gas with stock, maggie and flowmaster mufflers and gets driven very little because of it. I only am interested in sound since a stock truck with any muffler will not show the driver much change except exhaust note.

mpg calculations
Magnaflow:
city 9-11 mpg tops
highway 11-12 mpg

flowmaster:
city 10-12 mpg
highway 13.5 mpg
Thats the best I can break it down with the driving this truck does.

As for the flowmaster falling off, I am fully aware of the difference in stainless steel and aluminized steel. It will rust but it will never be "falling off" because I would never keep it on till that point. My truck gets washed completely under and over everyday its driven in the winter here, and I maintain it vigorously as its mainly used to tow my toys on long trips, and the occasional show. It has never been and never will be a daily driver. Sometimes its in the garage longer then its out in a months time. Last summer at 4.35 a gallon here I put only 400 miles on it from june to october.

If the economy gets no better by the end of next winter and I decide not to trade this truck in for a new one I will definitely be going with a full new stainless exhaust system starting with high flows and ending with a roush off-road dual set-up, or flowmaster stainless dual set-up.
I paid $60.00 for the current flowmaster muffler, thats cheap for a years worth of awsome sound to me, throwaway or not. I cant even get this truck one full tank of gas for $60.00.

so once again back to topic.
what is the cheapest way to make it alittle louder?

Last edited by Maxout05; 05-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2009 | 02:19 AM
The cheapest way to get it louder would be to delete the rear cats.

Old 05-23-2009 | 12:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by T&Df150
The cheapest way to get it louder would be to delete the rear cats.
Ok, would there be any emissions issues (check engine light etc.) with doing so?

Old 05-23-2009 | 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hash278
x2.
Me too, Goodness.

Quick Reply: supper 44 is on!