cats removed fronts gutted. Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cats removed fronts gutted. Damage?

So i took my truck in to get the rear cats cut out, the guy doing thought that i wanted the front gutted so he did. i have a flomast muffler on the truck. is this going to hurt the motor with no cats.?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, be prepared to buy a new engine...

Nah, I'm just jerking your chain. You are going to get a CEL and your truck will run like crap. You might want to get a set of hi-flow cats welded on, quickly.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
As stated you will throw a cel you lost back pressure, and what you did was not too smart... put some high flow cats on there, and if you want sound slap some headers on there and toss that Slowmaster

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
First thing, get your primaries back from that shop if you can!

If not get some cats soon. Deleting the secondaries is possible without throwing a CEL if done right.

I'd go back there and have him install your originals, or new high flows w/o charging for labor. Tell them the trucks acting up, (It will) and they messed up your original order to do the secondaries only.

Then I'd find a better shop to deal with.

Last edited by Fordahaulic; 06-03-2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I havent had a code or anything yet, i have only put about 100km on so far and the truck is running great like normal. I am going to order some high flows next week. I cant get the primarys back because they are still on the truck but they have nothing in them, they have been opend and cleaned out so.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
No light & running ok huh?

What year is the truck?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
its an 04 yeah nothing i scanned it and every thing is good. the guy who did it said that he has done lots of f150s with out any problems.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your PCM has not been re-set yet, thats why you dont have a CEL yet. Running no cats wont kill your engine, but you aren't running as strong as you could be at the moment. If he removed the rears and left the fronts only you would have been fine. Put a set of Magnaflow 94306 or 94106 cats on it and you'll be running with top performance with the same sound.

And also, your lucky to have a shop that will even touch your cats. Every place around here is "hell no.. "

Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah im gunna get the high flows soon. i have done lots of buisness with the shop and i live in alberta so no laws about emissions. is thier anyway i can get rid of the code i have an edge evo? untill i get the high flows

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBulletflech
Yeah im gunna get the high flows soon. i have done lots of buisness with the shop and i live in alberta so no laws about emissions. is thier anyway i can get rid of the code i have an edge evo? untill i get the high flows
Not sure if the Evolution can disable the O2s, custom tunes can, and you might be able to shut it off but it will probably return each start up. The Gotts O2 mod will shut it off for good though.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
i must be extremely lucky because i have not had a code from my gutted cats and it has been about 6 months. not even a pending code!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Your PCM has not been re-set yet, thats why you dont have a CEL yet. Running no cats wont kill your engine, but you aren't running as strong as you could be at the moment. If he removed the rears and left the fronts only you would have been fine. Put a set of Magnaflow 94306 or 94106 cats on it and you'll be running with top performance with the same sound.

And also, your lucky to have a shop that will even touch your cats. Every place around here is "hell no.. "
The reason I told him to look for another shop is that they should know doing what they did would amount to an increase in noise level, while doing nothing for performance.....well decrease it actually..., and doing so against what was asked for in the first place. Unprofessional IMO

Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fordahaulic
The reason I told him to look for another shop is that they should know doing what they did would amount to an increase in noise level, while doing nothing for performance.....well decrease it actually..., and doing so against what was asked for in the first place. Unprofessional IMO
As I agree with this, its still quite a wonder how any shop would even do this to the cats.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
As I agree with this, its still quite a wonder how any shop would even do this to the cats.
Yup....I just wish Ford would tone the emission stuff down a bit....its such overkill, you can cut it in half and still pass e-testing with ease....oh well

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah next time i am going some where else. i like the sound of it now its really deep and not isanely loud at wot.

Quick Reply: cats removed fronts gutted. Damage?