need advice on what muffler to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The 11" is louder than the 14" however I am not totally positive how much louder. I am going to take an educated guess and say about 15% louder. Darren will chime in I'm sure. If you are looking for a deep, clean sounding muffler that is pretty loud on acceleration and has a nice rumble on cruise then I highly recommend the 14" si/do. I was in the same situation as you man. Darren could probably tell you how many questions I asked. Put it this way, I felt bad constantly asking questions. I had people say super 40, super 44, true duals, ect. I love the sound of those muffler outside, but the big issue is, how LOUD do you want to be able to hear it inside. I love exhaust tones, honestly almost as much as listening to music but I don't want to hear it droning in the cab on the highway, it's just annoying If you listen to Darren's video the "After installation one" (still had stock cats at the time) or something like that I forget the name, you'll see a comment and I asked how much quieter the 14" si/do would be. He said it would be close, maybe 15% queiter and that made me go with it. Hope that helps any, just trying to be a bit specific for ya
Pretty precise right there, and as for the questions it not a bother at all, its fun helping where I can .

My truck is louder than any F150 with a Flowmaster with stock cats. I have a little extra grunt due to a deleting of two cats which happened 1,000 or so miles after I got it all done. My exhaust was real quiet after the initial install but after I got 6,000 miles on it its sounded much better, even more now at 11,000.

The 14" SI/DO is a bit quieter than a Flowmaster 2 chamber, not too much, mostly heard under acceleration only, and cold starts. Theres a un-noticeable difference between the 11" and 14", once both are broken in its a little more noticeable, the 11" has more bark.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Will my 14" keep getting louder Darren, it seems like it keeps getting a bit louder every few weeks? I hope it does cause I love how it sounds

Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Will my 14" keep getting louder Darren, it seems like it keeps getting a bit louder every few weeks? I hope it does cause I love how it sounds
Yes. By 6,000 miles it will be much clearer and a hint louder than what you hear now. You wont be able to notice it unless you video it. If you have seen these two videos of my exhausts ( October and November exhausts ) you can tell the November one is a small margin louder after 2,300 miles. I'm going to be making a new video here real soon since I have 12,000 so miles on it now, I do believe it has gotten even louder since, actually, not believe, I guarantee it has, I noticed after getting my cat delete pipes welded shut it got significantly louder, and I hear the rumble inside much more now.

Quick Reply: need advice on what muffler to buy