Gettin SI/DO Muffler? MAG/HOOKER?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update*Going With Mag 14inch 3inchSI/SO

Hey, Im going to have my exhaust done early next week once I get my truck today,.. hopefully. Already plannin on exhaust setup and muffler type..Im planning on a 14'' Magnaflow 2.5 SI / 2.5 DO with Polished 12inch long/ 3.5 inch rolled end slash cuts tips directed behind both tires, tucked under level to barely see the tips sticking out.. but I keep thinkin the magnaflow is goin to be to quiet of a muffler, I dont want abnoxious loud Flowmaster sound all the time, but I want an noticeable kinda loud deep aggresive sound thats really noticable especailly when getting on it.. Its either that or possibly the Hooker Aero Chambers SI/DO its also $20 bucks cheaper.. Ive heard many good things on Magnaflows 14'' but nothing on Hooker Aero Chambers.. And Mags are highly known to be kinda quite.. so I dunno~

Oh yeah its goin on 07 RCSB F150 4.6 STX

Last edited by tman07f150; 06-29-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The maggies are not quiet especially the 14" also the maggies are dyno proven to gain you a few extra HP and not lose any TQ. One other thing, maggies are made of 304 stainless.

I have no idea what the hooker is made out of, or what style the muffler is.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tman07f150
Hey, Im going to have my exhaust done early next week once I get my truck today,.. hopefully. Already plannin on exhaust setup and muffler type..Im planning on a 14'' Magnaflow 2.5 SI / 2.5 DO with Polished 12inch long/ 3.5 inch rolled end slash cuts tips directed behind both tires, tucked under level to barely see the tips sticking out.. but I keep thinkin the magnaflow is goin to be to quiet of a muffler, I dont want abnoxious loud Flowmaster sound all the time, but I want an noticeable kinda loud deep aggresive sound thats really noticable especailly when getting on it.. Its either that or possibly the Hooker Aero Chambers SI/DO its also $20 bucks cheaper.. Ive heard many good things on Magnaflows 14'' but nothing on Hooker Aero Chambers.. And Mags are highly known to be kinda quite.. so I dunno~

Oh yeah its goin on 07 RCSB F150 4.6 STX
You just explained the 14" Magnaflow.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 PM
haha, oh really.. thanks-^ .. yeah I believe Ill be doing a 14'' Magnaflow, hopefully early next week.. Ill let ya know how it turns out.. Im hoping good, just have to decide on how I want the exhaust to exit. thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tman07f150
just have to decide on how I want the exhaust to exit.
You want it to be 45'ed out the back

Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I have that muffler and it sounds great. Not to loud inside but you know its there. Outside it sounds great and aggressive. You will be happy with that choice.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Agreed. I have a small clip in my sig if you want. I was the same as you. Trust Darren and us who have it, you won't be disappointed. I was in the same boat as you

Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Alright, thanks! Yeah I like Magnaflow the company, hear good things about them I just always thought they were mainly kinda quite sounding but Im going for magnaflow for sure-

.. And Im now *Officially an F150 owner as of Friday at 7:00pm when I just got the truck itself,.. 07 F150 RCSB STX 2WD 4.6 All White, I owned an 2000 S10 ZR2 before that I put on a 6 inch Superlift 2inch Bodylift w/ 33s looked good ~ rode like crap so after 6 years with it I just sold it, so Im official now.. got it today.. so Im already down for planning to get, 5% tint all the way around and probably 35% on whole front windshield, 2 inch rear drop shackles, and exhaust within the next couple of weeks if not by the end of next week-haha. Sooner or later hope to find some nice stock 20 inch F150 wheels to throw on it but 17s look fine for now.. So I have everything figured out now, hope to get the exhaust done next week early, Ill either 45 them out the rear or in between 45 and 90 at the rear of the tires, but not completely 90, thanks for all the info and help.-Tyler

Last edited by tman07f150; 06-27-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 AM

COngrats man.... Enjoy your truck

Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I got a borla SI/DO on my wife's expy and I like it for a quiet exhaust. imo it's quiet like the magnaflow but better build quality.

I have a flowmaster 40 on my truck and even with intake and such it wasn't really loud until I added some DT longtube headers, now it's probably annoyingly loud to others. inside the cab it's really not that bad since I put sound deadener under the carpet in the back on the floor and on the rear wall of the cabin. I used secondskin damplifier and overkill and overkill pro, secondskinaudio.com I believe is their site, I got it all on a forum from a private party which I recommend if you find you want it quiet at times u can just roll up all the windows .

anyway, I recommend the borla as it's all stainless and will/should last forever. I just went and ordered a powerstick for my truck as it's a straight thru design and should reduce backpressure thus increasing velocity and giving a better gain across the board. but I'm also changing the Y pipe to a dual 2.25" in to 3" out and the muffler and all pipe after the Y will be 3". so it'll be ALOT louder/deeper. but I'm gonna put my aFe intake back on as it's quieter than the volant so that may help.

ANYway, I recommend spending a little more up front and getting a borla I've heard the magnaflows are starting to get cheaper and if they have a hanger on the muffler itself it's highly likely that it'll break off taking a little piece of the muffler with it. leaving your muffler with a hole in it.

I think you'd like the borla, really it isn't very loud at all imo. like I said my setup is loud so I know how exhausts CAN sound. I THOUGHT it could be heard, but when I drove my truck and followed my wife I couldn't hear anything from her ride lol. that was before my longtube headers also here's a soundclip of a powerstick setup on a tundra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6sMecatfJg

my current setup sounds more like this as I got longtubes eliminating my primary cats. truck is an 05 titan 4x4 so it has 4 cats stock leaving me with the secondary pair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7P5PZz9Js

I'll try to get clips of the expy's borla and possibly my Ts flowmaster setup but I won't share that one unless there's interest on this site

Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
oh, here's my wife's setup...

I'll get a comparison pic and side view later to show how big they actually are, the wheels are 305/45/22 for reference... it's an 07 expy btw

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
After hearing some, I would really probably straight up buy the roush offroad catback kit but all Im seeing is it for Supercabs and CrewCabs, doesnt say it will fit on reg cabs,??? Is there a similar muffler out there that will give me that kinda sound, like the Offroad Roush Catback??

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can do a search for a used roush off muffler.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Reckon the 11 inch Magnaflow would get me a similar sound as the ROR muffler??? They only have the 11 inch ones in single in/single out so I could do a Y-pipe after the muffler then run the duals to tips, I remeber hearing the ROR muffler is like 10 inches, so Im thinkin though different design mufflers possibly same output in sound?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 AM

You could do the Y-pipe. I think it would be a similar volume under accleration, maybe a bit quieter. The problem is, the ROush is such a great all around set-up and other mufflers usually don't have the same qualities all in one. Ror, great idle, straight throw design, little to no drone, powerful sound outside, and screams under WOT. To get that in a different muffler, you would have a mix of a Maggie and a flowmaster basically. I am curious is you could take a Borla S-type and run a y pipe beucase it's a si/so. That may be similar to the ROR. Darren or someone else might know that for sure.

Quick Reply: Gettin SI/DO Muffler? MAG/HOOKER?