will i lose any low end and will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 02:07 AM
|
will i lose any low end and will this work?

2 part question: 1) before i order the dynomax bullets off summit, is there any objections? im going to have an x-pipe, two dynomax 16" bullets (2 1/2") with the rear cats cut off... think ill lose anything (mpg, low end?) also, how much louder do you think it will be in the cab coming from a di/do maggie?
and 2) im going to put my di/do maggie on my 97 expedition with turn downs and im thinkin about cuttin the rear cats off on that as well. will i throw a code? the 02's are after the rear cats but just wanted to make sure. also, does anyone have a sound clip of either one of these??

Old 09-03-2009 | 03:07 AM
a few guys on here are running dynomax bullets, but not the 16". they are running dual 12" with H pipe. as long as you mount the bullets as far back as possible, noise in the cab wont be too bad. how are you exiting it?

and for the expedition, you wont throw a code if you keep the 02's mounted after the cats.

Last edited by migdaddy; 09-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 | 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by 2004Lariat5.4
2) im going to put my di/do maggie on my 97 expedition with turn downs and im thinkin about cuttin the rear cats off on that as well. will i throw a code? the 02's are after the rear cats but just wanted to make sure. also, does anyone have a sound clip of either one of these??
I believe that's how my rear 02's are. I'd have to check again, I know they were not actually in the cats.

When I deleted my rear cats I had no problem.

Old 09-03-2009 | 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Sounds like the route i'm going, but with 12" Bullets. You should be fine with both vehicles, the exhausts will perform fine, much healthier with just two cats.

Old 09-03-2009 | 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
I believe that's how my rear 02's are. I'd have to check again, I know they were not actually in the cats.

When I deleted my rear cats I had no problem.
on my 03, the 02 sensors are in the cats themselves, but doesnt matter bc i can never change mine anyways. commifornia baby!

Old 09-03-2009 | 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by migdaddy
a few guys on here are running dynomax bullets, but not the 16". they are running dual 12" with H pipe. as long as you mount the bullets as far back as possible, noise in the noise wont be too bad. how are you exiting it?

and for the expedition, you wont throw a code if you keep the 02's mounted after the cats.
noise in the noise????????

Old 09-03-2009 | 06:47 PM
noise in the CAB. thanks

Old 09-04-2009 | 02:22 AM
|
sweet. thanks for the help guys. so far all i have found are the 16" bullets. The body of them is 12" long but its total length is 16".... found them on summit and i dont think i saw any more that were shorter. but im running my tips straight out the back so hopefully this helps on cutting down interior noise.
Darren- yeah i decided since no one (that ive seen or heard of) has this set up ill be the first. You and BoxerGuy are the ones who lead me to the magnaflows and ive loved them so far but im itchin for somethin else so hopefully it turns out good and i can get some videos that way maybe i can return the favor. thanks guys for help, without this website i would be lost.

Old 09-04-2009 | 03:39 AM
ya total length is 16.5. the can is 12", thats usually what people refer to. good luck and make sure to post vids/pics!

Old 09-04-2009 | 09:35 AM
General rule of thumb

I found out the hard way about losing low end on my old truck. I went from stock exhaust to a high flow cat set up with JBA 3" SISO and felt a noticeable power loss below 2500 RPM. However there was a noticeable increase in throttle response and acceleration via the butt-dyno starting around 2800 rpm and going straight to the limiter.

You can relate torque to air velocity, and horsepower to the volume of air flow. The faster the air enters and exits your engine the more torque you make, and the more volume of air you get through the engine, the more horsepower the engine will produce. You want a balance of both in your selection. If you are going to be taking the truck to the drag strip I would consider opening her up a bit because you are going to be in the upper RPM band. If its a daily driver, you should stay with something similar to the stock configuration. Magna-flows (maggies) have a good rep on this site and I personally hope to have some installed on my baby before Christmas. Ford does a decent job with their exhaust set up as trucks typically take advantage of low end torque to get rolling. You should also consider the amount of time and money you will invest and whether or not it is worth the gains. There are some fellas on the site that will offer there experiences to aid you in your decisions. Good luck in your endeavors!

Last edited by malexander52; 09-04-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2009 | 11:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by 2004Lariat5.4
sweet. thanks for the help guys. so far all i have found are the 16" bullets. The body of them is 12" long but its total length is 16".... found them on summit and i dont think i saw any more that were shorter. but im running my tips straight out the back so hopefully this helps on cutting down interior noise.
Darren- yeah i decided since no one (that ive seen or heard of) has this set up ill be the first. You and BoxerGuy are the ones who lead me to the magnaflows and ive loved them so far but im itchin for somethin else so hopefully it turns out good and i can get some videos that way maybe i can return the favor. thanks guys for help, without this website i would be lost.
Thats cool man, hope you do get to be the ginny pig for it, I was supposivly changing out to them real shortly but after buying wheels & tires a couple days ago I need to watch money, and get some bills for my new house in and see where ui'm at, and ontop of that I need a new leaf blower, which is why I wish my damn Super 44s would sell cause they would be buying it for me lol.

Anyways, good luck with your experience and hope it goes well, and hope you do so very shortly because I am anxious for your feedback!

Old 09-04-2009 | 05:24 PM
|
Darren you got new tires and wheels??? what did you get? but back to the subject, give it about another week and ill order the bullets and the x-pipe and whenever they get in ill be at the exhaust shop first thing next morning. I cant wait!

Quick Reply: will i lose any low end and will this work?