AF1 and Lean code

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 10:30 PM
|
AF1 and Lean code

I put an AirForce 1 CAI on my 04 scab. (also a magnaflow cat back) It is a 2 3/4" intake. now my 5.4 keeps throwing lean codes. Should I be concerned? I have heard that the 04, 5.4 does that alot but I dont know the effects of it being lean. Thanks

Old 09-03-2009 | 10:50 PM
go outside and take it off before you drive anymore unless you want to ruin your motor. you will need to get custom tunes before you put it back on.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:05 PM
|
Do you know if I can use a custom X2 tune from a different truck of like configuration. (assuming its unlocked, same engine, year, gears...) I have heard they wont work but others have told me it will??

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:14 PM
from my understanding it depends on the hex code. odds are that it wont work.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &
If the two trucks have the same identical HEX code and the tune was written for a CAI, then should work fine. Odds are, the HEX is different. If you run it lean, you can destroy the pistons, and cylinder walls, burn valves.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:23 PM
Running lean is very dangerous to your engine since it will cause pre-ignition than detonation runing your pistons, rings, valves, cams and eventually your engine will be torn inside and possible parts flying out of your engine. You need to balance your air and fuel mixture, that can be accomplished by a programmer like Troy, PHP or others alike. but the best way to get an air to fuel ratio that would be perfect to your mods is through a dyno testing. hoss55 is right, you should take that cai off and put back the factory one until you get your programmer. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2009 | 01:58 PM
Truck of the Month
I have the 3" AF1 CAI (bought it shortly before AF1 went under). The reason I went with their smaller one over their 3.5" intake is because they said the larger would require a custom tune to prevent running lean--the smaller would not.

I do suspect, however, that you're running lean with the smaller one because the 04s/05s have been know to run lean from the factory. A CAI would just add to the problem. Definitely get custom tunes or take it off.

I had mine on for quite a while (with custom exhaust) and just recently ordered custom tunes for my truck (upgrading from Edge to Gryphon). In about a month I'll have the reassurance knowing I won't cause any damage. I suggest custom tunes asap--the AF1 is too good to take off.

Old 09-05-2009 | 03:46 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Fillbilly
Should I be concerned?

Quick Reply: AF1 and Lean code