Dumped Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:08 PM
|
Dumped Exhaust?

Has anybody dumped their exhaust? I have a Flowmaster 40 Series single in, dual out. I just want to clean up the rear end as I think my duals look too bulky hanging back there. Im not sure if Ill loose anymore power (more so than I already have) or if any odor will find its way into the cab. I wouldnt mind if dumping the exhaust made more noise. Not too much more in the cab though.

Last edited by CRJ Pilot; 10-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2009 | 07:12 PM
I had a dumped 40 before my current exhaust, and IMO it sounded better dumped than with tips with far less drone. It also cleaned up the back end a lot.

Old 10-11-2009 | 07:14 PM
just have it dumped after the axle, the further back the better. since it will still be at the back of the truck it wont add noise in the cab and no odors will be getting in the cab.

Old 10-11-2009 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by hoss66
just have it dumped after the axle, the further back the better. since it will still be at the back of the truck it wont add noise in the cab and no odors will be getting in the cab.
Turn downs suck! Cut off is much deeper and louder, but with loud and deep comes interior drone!! I never really had any problems with fumes though.

Old 10-12-2009 | 01:31 AM
cut the pipe AFTER the rear axle, and leave it as a cut off. the sound with be directed OUT instead of DOWN

Old 10-12-2009 | 04:59 AM
This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing
However I think you should vary more examples to your writing much more interesting !

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:00 AM
And I have a newbie question...what is a dumped exhaust? Is that where the exhaust is turned down or where it isn't visible??

I have my exhaust cut off behind my cats, after the y pipe, right at the front of the metal heat shroud. Sound is perfect to me and I don't smell any fumes.

If I am now smelling fumes...do I need to be concerned about fumes getting in???

Was thinking about going to a muffler shop today since I'm off work and inquiring about getting true duals with an x pipe and no mufflers. I'd prefer if the pipes weren't visible as well. Drone really isn't bad and from a sound perspective, I'd be perfectly happy to keep it as is....but am worried about safety concerns with exhaust getting into vehicle?? Is this something I need worry about?

Last edited by linusb212; 10-12-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 01:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by linusb212
And I have a newbie question...what is a dumped exhaust? Is that where the exhaust is turned down or where it isn't visible??

I have my exhaust cut off behind my cats, after the y pipe, right at the front of the metal heat shroud. Sound is perfect to me and I don't smell any fumes.

If I am now smelling fumes...do I need to be concerned about fumes getting in???

Was thinking about going to a muffler shop today since I'm off work and inquiring about getting true duals with an x pipe and no mufflers. I'd prefer if the pipes weren't visible as well. Drone really isn't bad and from a sound perspective, I'd be perfectly happy to keep it as is....but am worried about safety concerns with exhaust getting into vehicle?? Is this something I need worry about?
Precisely.

I would surely go to the shop and get an exhaust fabbed to give you back low end power.

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by linusb212

with an SUV you have to worry much more about gettin fumes into the vehicle because if it isnt running all the way to the back then it is exiting underneath an area where it will make its way into the cab. you dont have to worry about this in a truck because it comes out under the bed.

you should get your exhaust run to the back asap

Old 10-13-2009 | 07:17 AM
Thanks for the advice...I'll take you guys up on that. I do see that I made a critical typo though...was supposed to say:

"If I am not smelling fumes..." which is the case...no smell of fumes.

Old 10-17-2009 | 01:55 AM
I've got a 40 series dumped at the rear axle, and i love it

Very little drone while cruising, but just loud enough while getting on it

'04 4.6

Old 10-18-2009 | 05:46 PM
my cheap SI/DO thrush is just hooked to where the stock one was.I know most people dont like those but i'm on a budget(small)lol.like the sound outside but a little too loud inside when just barely giving the throttle.Got a 4.6

Old 10-18-2009 | 06:11 PM
i got true duals dumped out of super 44's about a foot behind the cab. it dont sound bad... a little too quiet at idle...

Old 10-18-2009 | 09:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by aswaff400
i got true duals dumped out of super 44's about a foot behind the cab. it dont sound bad... a little too quiet at idle...
Run tailpipes and put good sized tips on, it'll have a real good idle and sound. Or if your stuck on having it dumped, put cheap 3"x12" tips on under it that are out of the way.

Quick Reply: Dumped Exhaust?