no sound out of my right exhaust pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009 | 10:26 PM
|
no sound out of my right exhaust pipe??

so i have true duals with glasspacks from my front two cats on my 2000 f150 5.4. and i have no sound coming from my right pipe! i mean there's some tone but the cracking noise only comes out of my left pipe. everything is welded and done correctly and im very confused....at first i thought something was wrong with my engine but i don know if thats the case. it just sounds like air coming out of the tip. idk maybe something wrong with the glasspack??? any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-19-2009 | 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
I would hope its the glasspack. What kind is it, and how long as it been on? No CEL?

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:27 PM
|
its just a generic brand of glasspack. its been on for a little over 2 months and no check engine light. the reason i think its the glasspack is cuz the noise has been getting worse every since i got it. almost like the glasspack is burning through and its making it worse.

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:38 PM
Truck of the Month
I would doubt that the right bank glasspack may be backwards. They say glasspacks are reverse operable but over 80% of glasspacks out there have flanges/baffles that help induce sound, and when installed reverse it wouldn't operate well, as far as toning its volume way down its a possibility.

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:43 PM
|
i was thinking about takin it in and getting the glasspacks out and just puttin pipe in there anyway. you think that might solve the problem? when i talked to a guy today he said it could either be the glasspack or a bad converter??

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by fordpower101
i was thinking about takin it in and getting the glasspacks out and just puttin pipe in there anyway. you think that might solve the problem? when i talked to a guy today he said it could either be the glasspack or a bad converter??
There are several ways to tell if a cat is bad...

There's pretty much no way in telling if the glasspack is backwards unless you remove it...

Old 10-19-2009 | 05:54 PM
Truck of the Month
Yeah I wouldn't think its the cat, your economy would would be suffering harshly and you would have a CEL, or hear a rattle at idle, not to mention possibly smell it.

Depending on the glasspack design if its backwards to would be absorbing sound instead of making it roar.

Old 10-19-2009 | 10:42 PM
|
ok well im prob just gonna have the glasspacks taken off. thanks guys

Quick Reply: no sound out of my right exhaust pipe??