Help---want nice deep rumble, but no highway drone

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009 | 02:54 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Help---want nice deep rumble, but no highway drone

Ok guys, see if you can help me out. I'm still leaning toward the Magnaflow side of things. I like how this sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwDOF...eature=related

Throw some magnaflow part numbers out at me. I'm thinking of a 14" like whats in the you tube video, but I just don't want any drone at highway speeds (70-80 mph........about 2,000-2,200 RPMS). Is there something better you can suggest?? I think I also read on here somewhere that the shape of the muffler (oval vs round) had something to do with the sound as well. Also can you suggest piping size? 2.5 all the way thru?? I was gonna go Magnaflow hi-flow cats as well --DirtySCREW

Old 10-19-2009 | 03:34 PM
Truck of the Month
Magnaflow ofcoarse.

Just replicate Andrew's setup ( video you posted ), wont drone inside, very bareable even under acceleration, very good sounding outside. Muffler part #12198 is what you'll want.

Keep with Magnaflow 94306 cats ( 94000 series are all 2.5" )
The part # muffler i listed is just right, have it 3" in from the intermediate ( or if you can afford to change, run 3" from the Y pipe ) and 2.5" tails.

Old 10-19-2009 | 07:33 PM
|

I also like Zuruin's setup---he has true dual---2 14" round bodies X-piped and 2.5" piping throughout.

DarrenWS--how is your drone with your 11" maggies? You really think the 14" will not have drone on the highway. I wish someone lived near me for jsut a quick trip down the interstate. I'd hate to drop $$$ and not be happy with it.

I called a local shop today who deals with Flowmaster. He said he could do a FM 40 series SIDO, tips and all for $375. He's just a tad high as I got a 50 series flowmaster on my Yukon and it was only $350 from a different shop and the 50 is a more expensive muffler cause its bigger. I've gotta find the number to that shop.

My problem is no one around here specializes in Magnaflow. Yea, I'm sure I can order every thing online and have a shop weld it all up but they will charge me out the kazoo for labor and tubing probably since they didn't make any $$ on the muffler sale. I don't know what to do.

I know that I'm probably gonna be a "victim" of catalytic converter theft in the near future. Well, might as well get hi-flow cats.... :P -----DirtySCREW

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:10 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
I also like Zuruin's setup---he has true dual---2 14" round bodies X-piped and 2.5" piping throughout.

DarrenWS--how is your drone with your 11" maggies? You really think the 14" will not have drone on the highway. I wish someone lived near me for jsut a quick trip down the interstate. I'd hate to drop $$$ and not be happy with it.
Mines very bareable down the highway. I hear my M/Ts more than exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kadnub454w

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:22 PM
|

Well see my problem is the more I listen on You tube the more UNDECIDED I get. I like Andew's setup but I've heard other Magnaflows that dont sound as good. I've also heard some Flowmasters that I like and some I don't like---using the same muffler!!! Is a chambered muffler with a little bit of back pressure BETTER for low end power?? This is so confusing----DirtySCREW

Quick Reply: Help---want nice deep rumble, but no highway drone