Someone Stole my Tip?! Pics.. lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009 | 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Not necessarily. It took me < 5 minutes to cut off both my pipes with something like this:

Except the one I used was a smaller hand-held version and still did a terrific job. Had to install my own tips, so I rented the tool from Advance Auto Parts and did it in their own parking lot. I think this is what they used (hand-held version---couldn't find a pic of one). It has a bunch of little pizza-cutter blades attached to each link and they tighten around the pipe as you tighten the wrench, cutting it.

As far as dumping the exhaust, if you do it after the mufflers the only sound difference would be the resonance from the tips. That, and it will be louder inside the cab. I'd say put new tips on there and hope for the best. If it happens again, get another shock sensor and mount it to one of your hangars.
if you look on the close up pic

you can see where they started the cut and the saw jumped around a bit....

Old 10-19-2009 | 07:32 PM
Suspended
o wow......

Old 10-19-2009 | 07:37 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
That hand pipe cutter tool looks pretty handy. That cut is too clean for a sawzall. A sawzall going through stainless would be alot sloppier from the vibration, and hella noisey & attention drawing.
Yeah it was extremely easy to cut my pipe when I put on my tips. Just wrap the chain around the pipe and start rolling, increasing tension as you go. The cuts are extremely clean.

We use one like this at work all the time:

Last edited by mblouir; 10-19-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2009 | 07:49 PM
Those welds are terrible. TERRIBLE. And 25 bucks seems a little steep for just one weld. The shop in my area only charges ten bucks a weld.

Old 10-19-2009 | 08:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by mblouir
Yeah it was extremely easy to cut my pipe when I put on my tips. Just wrap the chain around the pipe and start rolling, increasing tension as you go. The cuts are extremely clean.

We use one like this at work all the time:
Looks exactly like the one my bud used to trim down my rear cat delete pipes.

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:08 PM
I don't think anyone stole your tip. To me it looks like the tip was multi piece construction. I would think it was laser or most likely friction welded together and that one of the manufacturer's welds has failed. Look at the discoloration at the rear of the taper. It looks like a heat effected zone to me. I also think the cut is too perfect and symetrical to have been done by anything other than a machine in a factory.

I bet if you take a really good look at the other side, you will find a seam right where your "cut" line is located.

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:13 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Bent6
I don't think anyone stole your tip. To me it looks like the tip was multi piece construction. I would think it was laser or most likely friction welded together and that one of the manufacturer's welds has failed. Look at the discoloration at the rear of the taper. It looks like a heat effected zone to me. I also think the cut is too perfect and symetrical to have been done by anything other than a machine in a factory.

I bet if you take a really good look at the other side, you will find a seam right where your "cut" line is located.
Good eye.

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:15 PM
Did you have your pipe flaired for the tips?

What are those welds that are on there?

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Sucks either way...

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
yep someone defiantly took a sawzall to your tip

i would not take my truck back to that shop..., those welds are horrible...
X2

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:30 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Bent6

I'm thinking the same thing as you. If you were cutting a tip, why would you try to cut it right at the flare?

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:38 PM
|
lol guys.. I get it, those welds are obviously horrible.. but you get what you pay for.. aside from them looking so bad, what do you think they used to weld them together in the first place that's causing the welds to rust up like this?? The piping is supposedly aluminized while the tips, muffler, and x-pipe are SS, so I'm assuming their melting points are a little different and the sloppiness was partly result of such?

I think Bent6 might be onto something.. I was wondering the same thing about those "burn" marks near the flange of the "cut".. unless someone is carrying around a lightsaber, I can't imagine what would have left the break looking soo clean.. I haven't take a good look at the 2nd tip, but is it likely that the tips were in fact 2 pieces from Magnaflow and that my tip simply fell apart? lol

Old 10-19-2009 | 09:45 PM
Truck of the Month
It looks to me like it just fell off. No sawzall cuts that straight and without any burrs and that pipe cutter does not work on an angled piece, needs to be the same diameter pipe, and a flat surface.

Old 10-20-2009 | 06:00 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Stealth
It looks to me like it just fell off. No sawzall cuts that straight and without any burrs.

same thing I was thinking...

Old 10-20-2009 | 07:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Some shops use basic steel welds with a mig welder. Mine are steel and are rusty looking like yours, but solid enough to keep things bonded, and its the cheapest weld material.

Old 10-20-2009 | 08:36 AM
Nobody stole it, it fell off.

Quick Reply: Someone Stole my Tip?! Pics.. lol