pacesetter long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, you need 3" cats. Actually, I made mine. I cut the cat 2.5" flange off one end ,-welded in a 3" ID to slip fit the collector.

BTW- You have to custom cut the High Flow heat shield to make room to work. - I used a die grinder with a fine cutting wheel.

I have to say, it looked bad *** when I was thru lol. It's tight before the bend on a 4X4, - not sure about the 2wd models ? Seems like you would have more room to work with ? Maybe not..

Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh okay i get what your saying. did you have enough wire on the rear o2 sensors? i got the universal cats so i gotta have the o2s behind the cats. i regret gettin those now. and no there is hardly no room at all up under there. did you have to do anything to the passanger side to get the header on? it looks really tight on mine

Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 AM
oh and also what did you use to get the studs out?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 AM

No, the O2's are to sensitive for splice/solder and the crimps never last. Extenders are an option, but that's just another connector to deal with and keep clean for proper operation.

Don't screw with it, - O'Riely's/Murray's sell O2's with the proper length harness, you may have to purchase rear sensors for the front to get the length you need. Ford used the SAME sensors in the rear, only difference is harness length.

Studs come out with a 5mm socket.

Look at the top of the stud, yea that takes a 5mm -

Now before you install the headers, clean the thread chambers/ blow them out/ run the NEW header bolts in once about 3/4 in, then remove. Clean the thread chambers once more.

You need to do this or it will be a PITA starting the new header bolts once the headers are in place. The Pacesetter header bolts thread pitch is a little bit different purposely, - that's so you can achieve torque. Once torque is achieved, you'll have to re-torque your headers every two or three drivecycles. You'll have to do this until they settle, - it took me about 4 times before they held their torque values.

Got all that lol ..

The install is easy, if someone tells you how, but it can be PITA getting into it blind. I've done these installs (I did a 99 as well) - trial and error, the hard way is no fun.

You figure out your EGR yet ?

Last edited by jbrew; 11-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM
thanks for takin time outta your day to help by the way man

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
i think it was 3/4" heater hose. lets see a pic of the jet coated!

As for the cats just get a 3" to 2 1/2" adapter and slap it on ur collector thats what i have on mine.

Also Jbrew 2WD the driver pipe goes to passenger side under bellhousing. on 4x4 it goes under the Transfercase witch is farther back.

Yes the 4.6 2V mustang ones will work. 4 prong i am almost 100% they'll work. i cut and crimped my o2's and they seem to work just fine.

donno nothing bout cats only thing i know is i cut mine out and sold um never looked back smells alot better now!!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by shifty_85
i think it was 3/4" heater hose. lets see a pic of the jet coated!

As for the cats just get a 3" to 2 1/2" adapter and slap it on ur collector thats what i have on mine.

Also Jbrew 2WD the driver pipe goes to passenger side under bellhousing. on 4x4 it goes under the Transfercase witch is farther back.

Yes the 4.6 2V mustang ones will work. 4 prong i am almost 100% they'll work. i cut and crimped my o2's and they seem to work just fine.

donno nothing bout cats only thing i know is i cut mine out and sold um never looked back smells alot better now!!
No, wrong, ahhh noooo , -Shifty!! That's all nuts, there's no way that's possible, yea, I'm behind the transfer case , but I have 0 room before the cross over and no tolerence. There's a channel there and it has to be precise.. - When it is, there's precisely no freakin room left, not w/lt's and highflows, an adapter wouldn't work lol. I mean, don't you think I would have done that ? Instead of modifying the damn converter???

If anything, the 2wd is further back, if you had that kind of room.

Crimping those wires ??? I give up, good luck guys.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
i know for a fact when my truck was stock it was bolted to something hanging under the trans im pretty sure it was up close to the bell housing.

Well if theres not enogh room go from 3 to 2 1/2" swing the pipe around then put the converter.

haha and Jbrew gives up....

see i love having true duals and no cats makes life much easyer

Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM
well i want to do it right cuz thats my baby were talkin about. im just gonna buy the rear o2s even though its gonna kill my wallet. i think im just gonna get a 3 inch to 2.5 inch adapter and weld it on the cats and slip that onto the headers. and as far as the heater hose thing i dont think they make any big enough. the biggest i could find was a 1 inch and that was way too small. i would just take the cats off but i need the backpressure. i will take pics of the headers tomorrow and post them on here if i figure out how to

Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
ok so i looked at the plug ins on the o2 sensors and they are different than the front!!! im glad i didnt go ahead and buy rear o2s for the front. and i called summit and the only o2 extentions they have are for a 2v mustang and those are different from my truck too. so im gonna have to sauter on the some wire i guess

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Gateway\My Documents\My Pictures\headers[/IMG]

Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
okay i tried to post a pic of the headers it didnt work. just posted a pic on my profile

Last edited by ridinmudddy; 11-22-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
okay i tried to post a pic of the headers it didnt work. just posted a pic on my profile
Those do look pretty, you just ordered them thru JetHot correct? What was the turnaround time? It took me almost two months to get mine from Summit due to being back ordered.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
oh yeah i was amazed when i opened the box. it took about three and a half weeks and i ordered them from jet hot. jet hot ordered them from someone else then scuffed up all the paint and coated them inside and out. its too bad you wont really be able to see them once there on

Old 11-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by batn68
Those do look pretty, you just ordered them thru JetHot correct? What was the turnaround time? It took me almost two months to get mine from Summit due to being back ordered.

sexy

Quick Reply: pacesetter long tube headers