pacesetter long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009 | 04:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Yea, yea - That didn't help. Use a 6" 3/8 extension w/13mm socket. Don't connect to the ratchet yet, - take the extension w/socket and reach over top of the starter and find the top bolt. Hook up with it. At the same time, use a match book or folded piece of paper and wedge it under the extension to hold in place. Now attach ratchet and break it loose.

It's easier if you pull the header back down, - that way you can see the bolts on the starter and get your hand in there.

BTW- If you lift up off the mount, the firewall/floor will be in the way next.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2009 | 09:23 AM
|
i jacked the motor up and the starter was still in the way. i couldnt get the starter out while the headers were in is what i meant. i had to grind off the metal part of the starter to get the header to clear it. im just glad i got it overwith.

Old 12-01-2009 | 10:09 AM
Truck of the Month
so are you happy with the gains????

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:33 PM
dang you guys made that way to complcated. i got both shortys and longtubes on without taking off the starter A/C or jackin the motor up what makes you guys do all that extra stuff??

anyways those look sweeeet!!!

You get um on? lets hear a video.

Old 12-01-2009 | 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
dang you guys made that way to complcated. i got both shortys and longtubes on without taking off the starter A/C or jackin the motor up what makes you guys do all that extra stuff??
That's because your trucks missing half it's parts to begin with

Old 12-03-2009 | 12:27 AM
|
i think these headers are just defective. the drivers header hits the motor mount a little bit i just realized that. and i gotta put another gasket on that side now and the morons at the exhaust shop welded the headers to the exhaust so i have to cut the exhaust just to get the header off and get a new gasket in there. i am having terrible luck. the gains were very noticeable but definitly not worth all the trouble i have been going through to get these things on. i still cant figure out the egr either. i got an adapter but the egr is at the wrong angle for it to work.

Last edited by ridinmudddy; 12-03-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 12:52 AM
Not sure why it's hitting the mount ? Unless you took one loose ? Your exhaust is welded to the headers ? You mean your cats?

Did you order 4six headers or 5four headers, or did it say for both engines ? What size EGR bung did they give you 3/4 or 19mm ?

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Not sure why it's hitting the mount ? Unless you took one loose ? Your exhaust is welded to the headers ? You mean your cats?

Did you order 4six headers or 5four headers, or did it say for both engines ? What size EGR bung did they give you 3/4 or 19mm ?
great points, little details matter. all i can say to help is it was a pain in the *** to put the long tubes in but WELL worth it for me. the starter got moved and engine lifted about an inch to fit. passenger side was horrible. but i also have a different year and 10 months later, i LOVE them.

jbrew and shifty are good help, take their advise. good luck bro.

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:39 AM
Yea, those EGR's are a PITA. Two guys from this site set me up tho. User phil6608 sent me the piping and user delirium fished an adaptor for me from the scrap yard that matched everything up perfectly. Not sure how I would have got it to work without the correct parts.

The motor mount:

What you might want to try, I would anyway - Is take the motor mounts loose AND the trans mounts. The motor may have sprung on the mounts or the passenger side isn't torqued. Taking said mounts loose, your engine and trans WILL move from right to left. You do this with a good size pry bar towards the rear of the trans. You'll be surprised how easy it moves, that may have helped on the install, I forgot to mention that... My bad.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-03-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 02:44 AM
The motor mount:

What you might want to try, I would anyway - Is take the motor mounts loose AND the trans mounts. The motor may have sprung on the mounts or the passenger side isn't torqued. Taking said mounts loose, your engine and trans WILL move from right to left. You do this with a good size pry bar towards the rear of the trans. You'll be surprised how easy it moves, that may have helped on the install, I forgot to mention that... My bad.
yep, what he said

Old 12-03-2009 | 07:50 AM
|

i did take the mounts loose but there back on now. and no the way my truck it you cant fit the cats right behind the headers because of the crossmember so i dont have any now. and its pipe welded up directly to the headers. i should have known that was a bad idea. well a bunch of websites said they were for both 4.6 and 5.4 trucks. there the pacesetter 70-2226 ones. its a 3/4 bung on the egr. and its pointed at a completely wrong angle. does anyone think its possible they messed up making these headers? cuz thats sure what it seems like.

Old 12-03-2009 | 07:55 AM
|
well the thing is i cant get the motor driver motor mount out unless i take that header out cuz the bolt will hit the header. and i fabbed up an adapter for the egr but its at the wrong angle cuz of the way the header was built.

Old 12-03-2009 | 01:19 PM
I can't recall were the Motor Mount is in relation, I'll go out and snap a pic if I have to lol. Let me see if I have one on line somewhere first. - Here's how the EGR bung should be positioned and I had a 4.6L EGR tube connected in this pic. I since changed it to a 5.4L set up (that's a couple posts up ^^^^^ there), but yours should look like this -

Unless you have one of these -

Not sure , some are different.

Yea, here's the 5.4L set up connected -

Last edited by jbrew; 12-03-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 01:57 PM
Here's an online album -

http://picasaweb.google.com/jbrew393/MoreHeadersPics#

Yea, I'm a long way from the mounts, but I have a 4x4 and a taller block.

This album shows what I welded directly to the headers. This was right before I chopped the front of the cats off and welded in a 3ID Flange.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jbrew393...ingsUpHeaders#

Last edited by jbrew; 12-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2009 | 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
thanks for takin time outta your day to help by the way man
Jbrew is just that kind of guy!

Quick Reply: pacesetter long tube headers