pacesetter long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pacesetter long tube headers

has anyone tried these on a 97-03 2 wheel drive with a 4.6? i have heard the 5.4 headers for a 2wd would work i just want to make sure before i go and blow that kinda money

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
worked fine for me. i have a 97 F-150 4.6L 2wd the only prob i had was i had to plug the EGR as the EGR bung for the 5.4L is bigger.

took me a weekend but i had lmited tools and was doing it by my self.

one of my buddys did it in 2 hours.

i got mine for 289 bucks pacesetter quick trip longtubes.

Love mine good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
worked fine for me. i have a 97 F-150 4.6L 2wd the only prob i had was i had to plug the EGR as the EGR bung for the 5.4L is bigger.

took me a weekend but i had lmited tools and was doing it by my self.

one of my buddys did it in 2 hours.

i got mine for 289 bucks pacesetter quick trip longtubes.

Love mine good luck!
did you have to get a different bung for the egr? and did you have to jack the motor up or mess with the steering to get the pacesetters on?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
i just bought a 3/4" cap and caped off the header bung then got a 1/2" cap and caped off the EGR valve and took the EGR pipe out. Then with a programmer programed my EGR Delete so theres no CEL

No i didnt jack up the motor, remove the starter, remove A/C stuff or mess with steering.

i took the tires off and the interfenders off and could get right to it.

good luck. oh and pacesetter headers use a 12 point 8 MM or 10 MM bolts for there header bolts had to go out and buy some 12 point sockets.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 PM
****. i dont have the money for a programmer. they must have redesigned the way the motor is set up because on mine it would be impossible to clear the headers around the starter. i wonder if there is a way around doing what you did with the egr..

Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 AM
You can get an adapter for the EGR but i couldnt fine one anywere!

or you can do what my buddy did and took a short chunk of heater hose and put it on the Bung on the Headers and clamped it then put it on the pipe and clamped it. no codes and no leaks.

As for the starter yes they do clear. its pretty tight and when i frist put them in i wasnt paying attention and left the starter big B+ wire to close to the header a few weeks later melted the wire and shorted my starter and batt.

if you take the starter out and put the longtubes on it makes it more of a PITA to get the starter back in. ive had my starter out with stock manifolds....pretty easy. Shortys about the same. and had to take it out with longtubes and with the longtubes it was a PITA i would have been pissed had i installed my longtubes and had to reinstall my starter.

Everything will clear many people have done this. Me, Jbrew, my buddy masterbeatty. all use pacesetter longtubes with no probs. im sure there are others but thats off the top of my head.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM
o really? i would have never thought that would work. what takes so long to put them in if you didnt have to mess with the steering or motor mounts or starter? im gonna have two days to do it i just want to make sure im gonna have time

Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
thats more then enogh time. taking off the shortys i had on there. cleaning on the threads. putting the headers up there. *Make sure u take the heat sheilds off* then getting the angle right onto the head. and i think i drove around for 3-4 hours lookin for the EGR adapater. went to a few local hardweres. 2 home depots and a lowes. no luck. and also my socket set and wrench set isnt the greatest. and it was just me working on it for 2 days. i wanna say it prob took a soild 8 hoursish.

But i highly reccomend this you wont regret it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
alright that doesnt sound too bad. how big of a difference in power and sound did they make? and did your buddy just hose clamp the heater hose on or what? i can get some with jet hot coating brand new for 430 i think im just gonna go ahead and do that when i find the money

Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 AM
yeah the jet coating is sweet. but i just went out and bought some VHT paint 1500+* paint used brake clean and wire brushes and striped the header paint off and painted them worked pretty good. i didnt have the money for jet coating.

Power was night and day. even thoe i had 3" true duals out of the hole my truck would bark the tires from a stop from idle to WOT no stalling the converter or anything. i went from manifolds to shortys. not much there shortys to longtubes Holy crap!!! you will not regret it. its not to bad at all to do.

Yes heater hose with just clamps you tighten with a screwdriver. worked fine no leaks for him.

ill find my install thread for you its a pretty good read up Jbrew helped alot as always

here ya go on page 3 were the fun starts. lots of good tips in there. you will not regret this!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...2-morro-3.html

were you live at? if your close enogh ill swing by and help ya out im about 15 miles from detroit mich.

Last edited by shifty_85; 10-26-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
yeah the jet coating is sweet. but i just went out and bought some VHT paint 1500+* paint used brake clean and wire brushes and striped the header paint off and painted them worked pretty good. i didnt have the money for jet coating.

Power was night and day. even thoe i had 3" true duals out of the hole my truck would bark the tires from a stop from idle to WOT no stalling the converter or anything. i went from manifolds to shortys. not much there shortys to longtubes Holy crap!!! you will not regret it. its not to bad at all to do.

Yes heater hose with just clamps you tighten with a screwdriver. worked fine no leaks for him.

ill find my install thread for you its a pretty good read up Jbrew helped alot as always

here ya go on page 3 were the fun starts. lots of good tips in there. you will not regret this!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...2-morro-3.html

were you live at? if your close enogh ill swing by and help ya out im about 15 miles from detroit mich.
im thinkin maybe they changed something that would make the headers not clear from 97 to 03. i know the changed a good bit of stuff in 99. i wish someone else with a newer 4.6 could tell me from experience so i can be sure. oh and i live in south carolina lol dont think you wanna drive that far but i appreciate it anyways

Old 10-27-2009, 01:59 AM
yeah SC is kind of a hike. went to paris island when my bro grad. from the marines. it was pretty fun.

97-03 should be the same. as long as the deck heght and fire wall angles are the same thats all that matters.

The ad says 97-03 F-150 4.6L / 5.4L 2 or 4wd. They'll fit i worked on an 01 F-150 not to long ago and looked. also a buddy has an 03 looks like the same manifolds i had same place and my headers would like right at home in there.

they'll fit you got this.

Hope my thread helped ya out a lil.

again good luck and you wont regret it!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
oh yeah u were alotta help thanks man. i think im gonna go ahead and order some in a few weeks here when i get the money. have they leaked at all on you yet?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Nope no leaks no cracks nothing. rust but thats to be expected from carbon 14 gauge steel.

Pacsetters Longtubes are also the longest set of longtubes between the 3 Dynatech/pacestter/OBX dynatech longtubes are 1,000 because they are stainless. OBX wants 340 because there stainless but very poorly designed i hear of welds cracking all the time on them. plus there made in china.

Support the ecnomey pacesetters are built in the good ole US of A

Glad i could help ya out.

Also i had pacesetter shortys on my truck before. lasted 2 years threw michigan winters and salt and snow. ya they were rusted but never leaked at all. and i even sold them to a guy on here and hes still running them!!!! ill get you his name too.

My longtubes are coming up on a year and not one prob.

Also do ur self a favor and get new front o2's while you have the old ones out. i saw my mileage go from 16 on factory o2s and longtubes to 20MPG CITY with brand new denso o2's in the front. Just my .2 cents

Also how are you at wiring? pacesetter will send in that kit enogh butt connecters for both o2's but only enogh wire for one side.

some sites sell o2 excutions you will need 15" or longer if you go that route. alot easyer than rewiring the o2's but you gotta wait for them. so if you have some wire laying around i think 12Ga is plenty i forget what we used. just dont get the wires mixed up do one at a time.

Also pacesetter has a 3 year warenty on all of there headers.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ord99f150.html
Thats the guy who is still running my shortys.

here are the o2 extentions i know i said 15" but these 12" will reach just fine.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1676/#

If you havnt orderd the headers yet or are waiting on shipping i would order those well worth the 35 bucks. and they will most likey be there 2 morro.

Last edited by shifty_85; 10-27-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Here are my shortys i bought brand new for 230 bucks . used for 2 years then sold them for 100 bucks.

bc you live in SC you get no salt or snow so yours will be fine. and if you get the jet coated ones oh buddy they will look sweet.

Cant wait for ya to get um.

Quick Reply: pacesetter long tube headers