Question bout rear cats and stright pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009 | 01:00 PM
|
Question bout rear cats and stright pipe

Ok ok ive been asking about headers and different exhaust for alittle but im thinking about getting rid of the rear cats and maybe running pipes back from there with no muffler. With this im hoping to get louder then what i am know which is just no mufffler. If i do this do i need to do an "X" or "Y" or whatever you wanna call it or would just straight back be ok

Old 10-21-2009 | 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by BEAST 150 4X4
Ok ok ive been asking about headers and different exhaust for alittle but im thinking about getting rid of the rear cats and maybe running pipes back from there with no muffler. With this im hoping to get louder then what i am know which is just no mufffler. If i do this do i need to do an "X" or "Y" or whatever you wanna call it or would just straight back be ok
i wouldnt run JUST pre cats, either get rid of the pre cats and leave the rear converters OR get some high flows

i ran hi flows and no mufflers with a H pipe and it sounded great (to me), the links in my sig if ya wanna check it out.

i dont know if youve seen "fordtruckin" videos hes got a 5.4 hi flow cats, no mufflers and made a video before and after X pipe. it was a little louder and more crackly WITHOUT the x pipe.

Old 10-21-2009 | 01:10 PM
i forgot to add, you will more than likely get a engine light if you run JUST precats.

i remember joshmac4.6 from a while back ran pre's only and got a CEL....what ever happened to that guy

Old 10-21-2009 | 02:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
People come & go.

Anyways you will definitely get a CEL without the rears, you'll just simply need the Gotts O2 mod to solve it, or if your Superchips tuner can turn it off then that.

It will be very sound, raspy, & crackly with no muffler & deleted rears, so be ready.

Old 10-21-2009 | 02:26 PM
i didnt care for him to much anyways

yea i had to gotts mod my high flows CEL is still off

Old 10-21-2009 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Anyways you will definitely get a CEL without the rears, you'll just simply need the Gotts O2 mod to solve it, or if your Superchips tuner can turn it off then that.
I first had a CEL when I deleted the rear cats and replaced them with flex pipe. When replaced the flex pipe with actual straight pipe, my CEL turned off.

I've had zero problems since. MPG is the same as before... I was first running deleted rear cats and straights with no crossover. I now have an H-pipe which has tamed it down a tiny bit. However, little precats and straight pipes --- Very loud!

Old 10-21-2009 | 06:53 PM
|
Well thanks for clearing it up for me guys. Im thinkning this is something im going to be doing soon

Quick Reply: Question bout rear cats and stright pipe